The Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please tell me you're up at 6am just to download that song. I support that kind of support. :up:

I'm just hoping 99pence isnt $400. I'd be really pissed if that happened.

I am now doing the proverbial "rocking out". Oh yes, took the long road and rocked it.

I already posted this in the 'Now Playing' thread, but I figured this was a better place for it....

If you have RealPlayer and would like to hear the new single, 'Freedom Fighters', do this:

Paste this (the entire thing) in your 'Open' tab on Realplayer:

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/lamacqlive.ra?start="01:15:45.0"&end="01:19:30.0"

I like it, not sure if I like it or 'Welcome to the North' more. A great 1, 2 combo for the opening tracks to an album though :up:

Mofo, have I told you how much manlove I have for you?

:up:

After figuring out my realplayer difficulties... awesome. Great song, although conservative listeners might misinterpret the lyrics as a rally cry for terrorists.

If anyone gets a chance to hear the original Freedom Fighters mix, it's worth the listen. Harvey's vocals sound a lot like Plant circa Heartbreaker (more zeppelin than before)... and Nutter's slight (very subtle) dip into middle eastern sounds is reminiscent of Physical Graffiti.

The Remix of Freedom Fighters that's streaming now certainly leaves that impression with me:

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/essselection.ra?start="00:51:20.0"&end="00:56:30.0"

(Again, paste the link into the box after pressing file, open on realplayer)

Thanks again mofo.

:up: :up:

(I think I like Freedom Fighters more, tentatively of course)

The link I posted before seems to be linked to something else now. Here's a correct link to 'Freedom Fighters'. (for RealPlayer)

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/zane_tue.ra?start="00:44:40.0"&end="00:48:20.0"

This is an apparent leak (AMAZON) of the album cover work for Welcome to The North:

B0002OTIC0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm not sure if I buy that. It looks like they just posted some graphic samples on the wall and took a picture of it. Interesting art nonetheless.

Well now, thanks to you guys, I can't wait for this new album....even if the cover is as horrible as what's posted above. I hope this album blows up for the band, then need to be known all around the world.

Cu-bro sent me this in an email. I'm going to attempt to post it.

Welcome to the North album cover:

wttn.jpg

Pinball Wizard said:
It seems the North American release dates will be in mid to late October...

:down:

Dear North America, you suck so bad.

Welcome to the "North" one month later. I ironic title.

There's an interview and a few songs on Zane Lowe's last broadcast... accessed from bbc radio1:

(open file in realplayer and paste link)

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/zane_tue.ra?start="01:14:26.0"&end="01:45:18.0"

Good stuff.

Last edited:
I have known of them for just over a year. I just bought their album two weeks ago and it rocks. I can't wait for the new one. October 19th I think. Turn Out the Light and Getaway are the best i think.

Ha! Ha! I just found this. I was at the Atlanta Coldplay show that was discussed in the beginning of this thread. The microphone grinding was a bit much for me as well.

Despite having that image burned into my memory, I like the new song very much. Great stuff.

I love them!!! I got their debut last year, thanks to hearing some chatter about them here. I just picked up their new album, and I can't stop listening to it. I think "Freedom Fighters" is my favorite track, as of right now.

I've been holding out on reviewing Welcome To The North for several reasons... mostly due to the fact that I hold such high esteem for their debut record, and I wanted to give this new release time to breathe. And it did.

First the obvious: Welcome To The North is a lighter, more standard rock driven album, which is an interesting contrast to the pseudo-techno dark rhythmic tracks of its predecessor. But, the beat is still there, and the energy links the two records at their core. Some fans won't enjoy the departure, but I think overall the new album is a more complete and tangible work. The subject matter of the songs have now exceeded the confines of the Leeds scene, and the content appears to be motivated from more external and global forces. The passion may not be expressed as well in the lyrics, but as a whole the message is strong and unrelenting. If it is ephemeral, ambient, distorted guitars that suit your fancy, you might be disappointed. However, if you're looking for a great rock record with hints of 1980's post-punk, ska, and synth-pop... the elements on this album will more than intrigue you.

My favourite album of the year, simply because it has more tracks than the Secret Machines' latest output.

:sexywink:

Standout tracks: Cessation, Welcome To The North, Bleed From Within, Guide, I Need Love, and One Way In, No Way Out.

I was just waiting for this topic to resurface, and I'm glad it did. I picked up the album on tuesday and I love it. My stand out track right now is Welcome To The North, but it is an excellent cd all the way through.

I agree with Cujo as it is a departure from the techno flavor of the last record, but this is a good thing. These songs should mix really well with the old songs in a live setting. I hope they tour this area of the world again sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom