The most average albums ever made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I couldn't even tell the difference between the remastered JT and the orginal, apart from the OTH coda being in the right place and the start of Exit being louder. That's the only difference I noticed.

The only time I've been able to pick up on the production is on Hutdab, which is louder than the others..

Anyone that had anything to do with that atrocity that was 'Let it Rock'
won't get any ears from me.

I need to not open this thread anymore because I seriously get VERY riled up and defensive and unnecessarily frustrated when people say negative things about Pearl Jam. I typed out a big long thing last night I was gonna say to Scumbo about his Pearl Jam comment but erased it and decided to make a stupid joke instead. Calm down, GAF. Calm down.

I will say this, though...I've never ever seen anyone refer to that album as 10.

I'm crazy like that :wink:

Honestly, I kind of stopped around Vitology and No Code. I think I have listened to Yield once or twice maybe (I really like Given To Fly), same goes with Binaural. I Haven’t heard Riot Act and I gave the newest self titled one a listen at the record store and I didn't like it at all...

I may dig out my old stuff and give it a listen though, it's been a while.

I actually like Vs. and Vitalogy waaaay more than Ten. Even though I love Pearl Jam, I never understood what all the fuss over Ten was; to me it's good, perhaps really good, but not great.

No Code was a mixed bag, with some really great stuff in with some fairly average material. I absolutely LOVE Yield and some days I think it's my favorite of theirs. And for the most part I really like Binaural.

I've never heard Riot Act, and I listened to the self-titled "Avocado" album Pearl Jam once, and while I thought it was good, nothing really jumped out or stuck with me. :shrug:

I look forward to their new album; I'm optimistic it'll be good after hearing the first single 'Brothers'.

this might ruffle some feathers, but i find all the albums by The National to be average and very overrated.

I look forward to their new album; I'm optimistic it'll be good after hearing the first single 'Brothers'.

"Brother" isn't the first single off the new album, it's actually an old track that was recorded in 1991 and added as a bonus to the recent re-release of Ten.

There have been no official announcements from the band regarding a new album. First single is months (possibly longer) away from now.

Sorry, my Pearl Jam police radar started flashing and I had to see what was going on. :wink:

I have no problem with Pearl Jam, I think they've already achieved "classic rock" type status, which is extremely impressive. They've made numerous fantastic songs through out their career, and still are pumping them out.

That all said, I feel like they've thrown way too much filler into the vast majority of their albums.. As I'm more of an album type person, I stopped buying their stuff over a decade ago, as I was sick of getting burned. I have a friend who's a Pearl Jam fanatic (back when there were stores that sold CD bootlegs, we'd go and he'd buy Pearl Jam bootlegs while I was getting U2 bootlegs), so I still hear most of their albums when they're released. Each album always has a few killer tunes on it....but that's about it. Their albums aren't bad by any means, but I personally would place them in the "average" category in regards to their work as actual "albums".

Again, I don't think they "suck", quite the opposite actually, I just think their albums have been a little soft overall. Sorry this wasn't a popular opinion here, I actually thought it was a fairly common feeling. My bad. This is why I usually avoid threads like this, I hate pissing on other peoples parades.

I have no problem with Pearl Jam, I think they've already achieved "classic rock" type status, which is extremely impressive. They've made numerous fantastic songs through out their career, and still are pumping them out.

That all said, I feel like they've thrown way too much filler into the vast majority of their albums.. As I'm more of an album type person, I stopped buying their stuff over a decade ago, as I was sick of getting burned. I have a friend who's a Pearl Jam fanatic (back when there were stores that sold CD bootlegs, we'd go and he'd buy Pearl Jam bootlegs while I was getting U2 bootlegs), so I still hear most of their albums when they're released. Each album always has a few killer tunes on it....but that's about it. Their albums aren't bad by any means, but I personally would place them in the "average" category in regards to their work as actual "albums".

Again, I don't think they "suck", quite the opposite actually, I just think their albums have been a little soft overall. Sorry this wasn't a popular opinion here, I actually thought it was a fairly common feeling. My bad. This is why I usually avoid threads like this, I hate pissing on other peoples parades.

You've saved yourself with this post. I called off the team of highly-trained mercenaries that I hired to track down and injure every person in Utah that has purchased a Mac computer in the last week.

this might ruffle some feathers, but i find all the albums by The National to be average and very overrated.

If I hadn't already been a National fan, I probably would have thought that outside of a few songs, Boxer was the most overrated piece of mediocrity of the last few years. I'm still not satisfied with it, but I've forgiven it for some of its weakness over the last year.

One of my coolest concert experiences ever was at a Pearl Jam show. About 4 years ago at the Air Canada Centre when Bono got up on stage and sang rockin in the free world with them. All the house lights were on and the place was going completely ape shit. It will be difficult for any show to match that level of energy

I'll agree with this, I really like 10 and Vs, the rest are kind of meh...

Make it Ten and Vitalogy, and I'm right there with you.

I am a huge fan of Mike McCready. I think he's one of the best guitarists of his time, but Eddie Vedder tends to hold the music back for me. I simply don't find his voice appealing.

I agree that they're overrated, but for me they're in "good but not great" basket rather than average.

I'd also add Day & Age by Killers. Sam's Town at least had some outstanding tracks but the latest album is just average top to bottom IMO.

Back
Top Bottom