The most average albums ever made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, if you're about moles digging in holes and monkeys swinging from trees, that's your thing, man.

Wow, I had no idea your taste was this bad. I love how there's no level between "good" and "fucking awesome".

With U2's studio work? Joshua Tree is the only album they pulled off really well.

U2's my favorite band because they're the best live act ever, not because of their studio material. Their studio stuff is great, no question, but there's definite flaws.

I listened to Achtung in its entirety for the first time in ages the other day... any sort of production issues aside, there's no denying it's a fantastic album.

Dear God, even its weakest tracks ("So Cruel" and "Tryin' to Throw...") are still solid songs in their own right.

I'm with you on War and Rattle and Hum not being the bee's knees overall, but still, they've got some quality tracks between the both of them, and October, Pop, and Zooropa are way better than above average or failures, respectively.

Who can make these albums better? You?! You, Lt. Weinberg?!

I listened to Achtung in its entirety for the first time in ages the other day... any sort of production issues aside, there's no denying it's a fantastic album.

Dear God, even its weakest tracks ("So Cruel" and "Tryin' to Throw...") are still solid songs in their own right.

I'm with you on War and Rattle and Hum not being the bee's knees overall, but still, they've got some quality tracks between the both of them, and October, Pop, and Zooropa are way better than above average or failures, respectively.

Who can make these albums better? You?! You, Lt. Weinberg?!

I think ATYCLB is the only album I actually dislike.

Every song on Achtung is good, but only a couple of them sound good. Zoo Station, EBTTRT, UTEOTW, The Fly, TTTYAATW, Ultraviolet, and Love Is Blindness all suffer. One and Mysterious Ways are missing crucial parts that were only added later in the live setting. Only Wild Horses, So Cruel, and Acrobat are definitive cuts.

Rattle and Hum would have been fantastic as a short album with all the studio tracks.

October's first seven tracks are great, and then it falls apart.

Bono says a lot of dumb things about U2's material, but calling Pop "the most expensive demo tape ever" was very accurate.

Zooropa ... meh. I'd say I enjoy a third, think another third worked well live, and could do without the rest.

If it's so great, why classify so many as merely "good" or "failed experiments", even if they may be flawed? Your semantics suck.

I'm going to re-do this for you in a moment.

EDIT: Never mind. Too much effort. I'll sum up - U2's great, they just make peculiar studio decisions. Too many good B-sides, a lot done way better in other forms (live, usually), weird track orders.

I think ATYCLB is the only album I actually dislike.

Every song on Achtung is good, but only a couple of them sound good. Zoo Station, EBTTRT, UTEOTW, The Fly, TTTYAATW, Ultraviolet, and Love Is Blindness all suffer. One and Mysterious Ways are missing crucial parts that were only added later in the live setting. Only Wild Horses, So Cruel, and Acrobat are definitive cuts.

Rattle and Hum would have been fantastic as a short album with all the studio tracks.

October's first seven tracks are great, and then it falls apart.

Bono says a lot of dumb things about U2's material, but calling Pop "the most expensive demo tape ever" was very accurate.

Zooropa ... meh. I'd say I enjoy a third, think another third worked well live, and could do without the rest.

I've grown to like ATYCLB over time, while the exact opposite happened for Bomb... currently my least favorite album of theirs.

Fair enough on the other albums, but I really do have to disagree with you on Achtung. Those songs all do excel live, but I don't think they should hinder the enjoyment of their studio versions... personal preference, I guess. "Zoo," "Even Better...," and "The Fly" are all pitch-perfect as far as I'm concerned, while the mixing and/or volume on the other tracks seem a bit misplaced at times. I wonder how much your opinion will change when the remaster comes out, if it changes at all.

Zoo and Even Better's big flaw is that half of Edge's guitar playing is completely inaudible. Achtung is far and away Edge's best album ... and it's buried in the mix.

The Fly's big problem is that they overdubbed too many guitar parts in the last third of the song.

Oh how the internet can be so funny and pathetic at times :lol:

If this was real life things would be much different..

Yes.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty well liked around here, while you continue to piss people off.

:lol:

I consider Bomb by far U2's most average album. It goes like this:

Fucking Awesome: Joshua Tree
Good: Boy, No Line, Achtung, Unforgettable Fire
Above Average: October, War
Average: Bomb
Failed Experiments: RAH, Zooropa, Pop
Shitty: ATYCLB

I understand failed experiments there, but does that mean you consider those three all below average albums? 'Cos if so... :cuckoo:

I must be the only one who can't hear these 'production flaws' in Achtung and Pop... :shrug:

You know, I never had anything against the production in AB. If anything, I think the murkiness is pretty cool and ties in with the general subject matter of the album pretty swell, assuming that the album is about swamps. I guess parts could do with some cleaning up, but I think that would ruin some of the tracks that I like.

Actually, when you mentioned DKC earlier, I pretty much gave up on hating on the GAF tape. You're free, glorious scoundrel!

I don't love The Strokes but I can't deny that Is This It is a bloody fantastic debut. So I'm willing to let them off the hook, :wink:

Ooh, that's another good nominee for this thread. Anything the Strokes released after Is This It.

oh-snap.jpg

I nominate anything by Squeeze, Heart or Chicago.

I love old school 70s Chicago. I grew up with that.:love: They're my mom and dad's favorite band. I guess it takes them back to their high school days or something.:lol: Heart is awesome. And, I would probably marry the song, "Tempted" by Squeeze, if I could.:heart:

I'm trying to ignore the fact that Lil Wayne is in your av. I'll nominate him as the most overrated rapper of all time. Does that work?

Oh, trust that I'm mocking him. He does suck. A picture of him in near tears just trying to press down a guitar string is absolutely priceless.

Oh, trust that I'm mocking him. He does suck. A picture of him in near tears just trying to press down a guitar string is absolutely priceless.

God bless you.:love: Seriously, when I saw that even Rolling Stone is kissing his ass, I died a little inside. Hell, 50 Cent is more talented than that jack-ass. Eminem, Kanye, and Common are light-years ahead of him.

God bless you.:love: Seriously, when I saw that even Rolling Stone is kissing his ass, I died a little inside. Hell, 50 Cent is more talented than that jack-ass. Eminem, Kanye, and Common are light-years ahead of him.

50 Cent more talented than anyone? Let's not get crazy here.

Lil Wayne is a joke. I'll give him props for freestyling most of his verses, but the trick is to not make it completely obvious that it's a freestyle. I actually did give Tha Carter III a fair chance...a few decent tracks, along with tons of masturbatory nonsense. That said, I'm really looking forward to his rock record Rebirth. Prom Queen was fucking hilarious, although I'm not necessarily sure it was supposed to be.

Lil Wayne is a joke. I'll give him props for freestyling most of his verses, but the trick is to not make it completely obvious that it's a freestyle. I actually did give Tha Carter III a fair chance...a few decent tracks, along with tons of masturbatory nonsense. That said, I'm really looking forward to his rock record Rebirth. Prom Queen was fucking hilarious, although I'm not necessarily sure it was supposed to be.

Yeah, I've never listened to any of his songs for more than 15 seconds. You lost me.:lol:

Prom Queen could be the best song ever, or the worst song. I really want to hear his rock album, maybe it'll be as funny as Chinese Democracy was meant to be. I was so disappointed when Chinese Democracy was average as opposed to awful :sad:

Back
Top Bottom