The man, the enigma, the legend: Brian Eno - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #31
The Male

Local Time: 08:26 PM
It's a really creepy album. It doesn't sound so much like you're floating on the sea as it sounds like you're being stalked by a serial killer and hiding out in a closet, waiting for the inevitable. Maybe Eno is lactose interolant, I dunno.

Another Green World is great to listen to on a warm, clear summer night. Grab a chair, sit outside and take in your surroundings for a few minutes, then slip on some headphones and really perceive the songs in a new way. So many wonderful memories from a couple of years ago, sitting outside and being extremely grateful to be alive and where I was at in my life, while AGW enhanced the experience. That album gives a new level of depth to rural nightlife, as it does a wonderful job of approximating the gentle buzz of insects and the sound of the world going to sleep through its subtle electronics and mellifluous lyricism.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
(though their follow-up everything that happens will happen today is good too).
I really like that album a lot . "Life Is Long", "Everything That Happens", "One Fine Day"-fantastic songs. Absolutely lovely.

I need to hear more solo Eno stuff. I pretty much just know his work with other people, I've not heard any of his solo albums. *Starts making list from this thread*

Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #33
The Male

I can recommend Here Come The Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), Another Green World, Discreet Music and Before And After Science very, very highly.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #34
45:33

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Another Green World is slowly but surely becoming one of my favourite records. Quirky instrumentals, relaxing instrumentals better than anything ever put to tape on a "relaxation cd", gorgeous vocal tracks, great guitar, abstract lyrics... the whole thing is just brilliant.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's a really creepy album. It doesn't sound so much like you're floating on the sea as it sounds like you're being stalked by a serial killer and hiding out in a closet, waiting for the inevitable. Maybe Eno is lactose interolant, I dunno.
I totally forgot that I had requested to talk about Small Craft. What really struck me about it, which probably should not be a surprise considering its author, is the flow. I wouldn't call it smooth as much as I would molten, almost like disparate elements being fused together under extremely high heat. Then, at the end of the process, you are left with an icy, crystalline whole. How's that for a pretentious description?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #36
Blue Meth Addict

I've never listened to a Brian Eno album.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 01:26 PM
I'm not sure if I'm a Brian Eno fan. Basically, I like listening to more accomplished musicians (which he isn't), not people making ambient soundscapes. But then again, if the ambient soundscape is really cool, then it's good. One of these days, I'll have to force myself to listen to an Eno album, so thanks for the recommendations above.

As a producer, I'm mainly aware of his U2 stuff, but he's worked occasionally with several other artists I like (the most surprising of which was probably Paul Simon). He's obviously doing something right as major artists seem to line up to work with him... but I don't really know what he does.

I guess in general, I'm kind of turned off by (a) people who try to intellectualize the making of rock music, and (b) the whole concept of the "star producer" that sort-of started back in the late 70s or something (well, except maybe for Phil Spector and George Martin). Eno seems well associated with both of these things, so maybe that turns me off him a bit. In interviews, he comes off as rather pretentious, to put it mildly, but he'd probably take that as a compliment.

I don't hate him or anything, but James Dean Bradfield (of Manic Street Preachers) does. Last year, Bradfield was going on in interviews about how Eno was basically the antiChrist.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #38

But he's clearly intelligent... and as far as I'm concerned anyone who can make albums as good as he has using the methods he has can be considered a genius.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #39

He has a new one out November 13 thru Warp. The cover immediately reminded me of Another Green World. 76 minutes split into 12 sections across four tracks.

What an awful thread title this was.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
What an awful thread title this was.
This was exactly on my mind right now.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Par for the course...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Obviously I like a lot of his work as a producer, but most of his work as an artist makes me want to vomit
Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase
Obviously I like a lot of his work as a producer, but most of his work as an artist makes me want to vomit
I don't know if vomit is right, I have to be awake to achieve that level of nausea from music.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored

I don't know if vomit is right, I have to be awake to achieve that level of nausea from music.
Zing!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
What is this, EYKIW? More of the ridiculous mentality that music has to be in the form of a four-minute, guitar-driven track with an obvious verse-chorus-verse structure in order to be legitimate?