The legendary Roots crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Okay, so I've lived in Philly for a year, had a few Roots tracks on my computer for years, but never really gave them much of a listen. Naturally, after seeing them live on Saturday at Welcome America, I am quite intrigued. I obtained their two "big" albums, Things Fall Apart and Phrenology and am really enjoying them. Once I have a job again, I'll actually purchase them, but for now, I'm just wondering what else I should obtain.

I understand that a lot of people recommend Illadelph Halflife, and that few people recommend Tipping Point. What about the other albums? Especially Rising Down and Game Theory, both of which are at the library two blocks away.

Also, of their two most successful albums, which do people prefer? I thought it would be Phrenology for me, but I've really fallen in love with Things Fall Apart. It has a sustained and consistent quality I rarely see in rap albums, but the later album is probably more sonically daring.

I enjoy Illadelphia Halflife, and Things Fall Apart is fantastic. "The Next Movement" is one of my favorite tracks by anybody.

Not so legendary anymore after whoring themselves out to Jimmy Fallon.

But yeah, what Peef said. My personal favs on the latter album are Act Too (Love of My Life) and Double Trouble.

After those two I'd probably say Phrenology and Rising Down. But they don't really have a bad album.

I dunno, I don't really care about the Fallon tenure. ?uestlove has said he does think more as a businessman these days, which is perhaps somewhat sad, but as long as the quality of the music stays high I'm fine with it. They are a band that deserves more exposure, even if this is not the best way to get it. I guess the fact that it's Jimmy Fallon bothers me more than that they're the house band for a late night show in general.

Back
Top Bottom