the last two cure albums - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:21 PM
the last two cure albums

I just got these albums and thier not bad. i never owned any cure before. it was weird to try to get into the band via latter day studio albums and not a greatest hits or classic studio album. thats all bmg had. lol. i do know some of thier older stuff. i'm surprised cure fans haven't taken shots at killers/coldplay etc for ripping them off like some u2 fans and critics have.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 04:21 PM
I have the impression that fans on this forum are divided regarding the quality of The Cure's last two outings. I personally find them to be sub-par - in terms of the band's ability rather than in terms of the general music scene - with a few gems hidden on each album. My feeling is that Robert Smith is now aping the band's past stylistic approaches rather unabashedly, but, again, that is simply my feeling.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT judge The Cure by those two albums. Prepare to be awed by the delights of the older material once you start going through the back catalog. It completely crushes anything they've done recently.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:21 PM
I tend to like the last two albums a great deal. Then again, I tend to like most of their work a great deal >_>.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Refugee

i heard this not thier best stuff. but its far from awful. before three is great. but i am listening to this stuff , among the other new cd's i got. witch is the killers, coldplay, and of course the new u2 . certain similarity's in all 4 bands sound. not a great amount similarity's, but a little.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:21 AM
The above post is one of the most incoherent and poorly executed posts I've read in a while. I don't know you, allbecauseofu2, so I have no idea if you are a native speaker or not, but I'm sure you can do better than that. People, correct spelling and grammar are important so that your thoughts and ideas can be readily understood by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
i heard this not thier best stuff.
"Their". Plus you are missing an "is" after "this".

Quote:
but its far from awful.
"It's".

Quote:
before three is great.
I don't even know what this means.

Quote:
but i am listening to this stuff , among the other new cd's i got.
There should not be a space before the comma. Furthermore, as "CDs" is a plural rather than a possessive, it does not require an apostrophe.

Quote:
witch is the killers, coldplay, and of course the new u2 .
"Which". There should not be a space before the full stop. May I also recommend capitalisation?

Quote:
certain similarity's in all 4 bands sound.
"Similarities" and "bands' sounds". Each band has its own sound, hence the plural, and "bands" is being used as a plural possessive, hence the apostrophe placement.

Quote:
not a great amount similarity's, but a little.
Again, "similarities", and it should be preceded by "of".

Also, you might want to tone down the use of sentence fragments. This is the Internet, so there's more room for sentence fragments and other casual turns of speech, but after a while it becomes too damaging to the coherence of your posts.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Axver wins.

I've been meaning to call out this allbecauseofu2 guy for a while now but didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. Nicely done.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I wanted to continue this conversation, but I really have no idea what to go on now...that before three is grea comment, do you mean the three before it? Because...Bloodflowers is good, but Wish and Wild Mood Swings are not their best work. Specifically Wild Mood Swings.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:21 AM
I feel that the Cure slipped into a worryingly mediocre place around the time of Wild Mood Swings (and the second best-of) in the late 1990s. I cannot say for sure if things have improved since then, but what I heard of Bloodflowers did not inspire great confidence.

I guess their recent music need not be terrible, but not unlike the situation with U2, have a sneaking suspicion that they sort of peaked in that fertile late 80s-early 90s period (and so did REM).

I am not sure why this happens with bands. It doesn't always. Some people around here rave about The Church and I'll take their word for it. I know that Nick Cave never lost it, or, if anything, regained it.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think when you've created such a signature sound and overall tone around your band you can do one of several things:

a. Reject it and reinvent yourself.

b. Completely drown in it.(Just keep doing the same thing over and over to the point it just becomes muddy)

c. Become a parody of yourself.

d. Polish that sound up so shinny that it's unrecognizable(i.e. think Aerosmith and that horrible Celine Dion-like movie song)

e. or quit while on top

The Cure went somewhere in between b and c...

Plus he's a 50 year old that has been wearing the same exact look since he was 17, even Kiss took off the makeup for awhile.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The above post is one of the most incoherent and poorly executed posts I've read in a while. I don't know you, allbecauseofu2, so I have no idea if you are a native speaker or not, but I'm sure you can do better than that. People, correct spelling and grammar are important so that your thoughts and ideas can be readily understood by others.

"Their". Plus you are missing an "is" after "this".

"It's".

I don't even know what this means.

There should not be a space before the comma. Furthermore, as "CDs" is a plural rather than a possessive, it does not require an apostrophe.

"Which". There should not be a space before the full stop. May I also recommend capitalisation?

"Similarities" and "bands' sounds". Each band has its own sound, hence the plural, and "bands" is being used as a plural possessive, hence the apostrophe placement.

Again, "similarities", and it should be preceded by "of".

Also, you might want to tone down the use of sentence fragments. This is the Internet, so there's more room for sentence fragments and other casual turns of speech, but after a while it becomes too damaging to the coherence of your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Axver wins.

I've been meaning to call out this allbecauseofu2 guy for a while now but didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. Nicely done.
You mean you didn't have the nerve to rip on someone because their spelling and grammar skills aren't the greatest? I find it pretty rude and unncessary.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Refugee

i in fact, do have a disability that factors in the way i write posts. i can try to fix the spelling, but the other stuff i have little control over. now, does anyone think the recent bands (killers/coldplay) have been mining the past of the cure for ideas? because its possible. they have a distant, echo-y sound.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Blue Meth Addict

I agree that their last 2 albums have been far from terrible, but I understand why long time fans are so quick to dismiss "not bad" albums from them as well. I feel more or less the same as Bono_212 in that I can still enjoy these albums, even though they're far from being their best work. Both have some really stellar tracks, and I tend to just listen to those instead of the albums in their entirety. I agree with everyone else that you're absolutely going to love getting into their back catalog, as most of it is better than their last two (I'd personally say all of it is better than 4:13).

I'd say you're definitely right about a good number of bands taking inspiration from The Cure, allbecauseofu2.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
Refugee

I know they still have a loyal following.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Axver failed to mention the biggest error of all: listening to Coldplay.

I would work on fixing that mistake before any of that unimportant grammar bullshit.

Tags
the cure