The La's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I gave their debut a spin tonight for the first time in a while. Because it's so tightly-written and concise, it never seems to get old for me, and each song feels like a gem upon rediscovery.

Most people would know them for their jangly, Byrdsian throwback "There She Goes":

YouTube - The La's- There She Goes

Which is a gorgeous song, but not particularly indicative of the record as a whole. Most of the album, excepting that one, the Kinky "Freedom Song" (which definitely reminds of me of "Sunny Afternoon" and "Alcohol"), and the thunderous "Failure", which is loud enough to trod upon Sonics territory, sounds like a lost Rolling Stones album circa 1966. The songs are tough and rollicking, yet very melodic. You could slip "Not Fade Away", "Satisfaction", 19th Nervous Breakdown", and "Get Off Of My Cloud" in there with no trouble. The album's closing psychedelic epic, "Looking Glass" sounds like the long-lost bridge connecting Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Anyway, fantastic album. It's a shame they only released one, but perhaps it's for the best.

Well, there's always that talk about their second album, but apparentely their vocalist is more perfeccionist that Axl Rose...
While this doesn't happen I'm fine with their first album.

Nice thread btw, it's good to hear some talk about a band that started before 95.

I believe they have performed some of the "new" songs live, but they won't be able to decide on a mix for each until at least take 9763590675063578673057.

The La's!!!!!! I was incredibly lucky to see them play live in London in 1990, before Lee Mavers got completely and utterly drug fucked. What a waste of a brilliant talent, like Peter Perrit of the Only Ones. I love their album, even if the La's didn't much rate it when it was released. I hope they do release more music. Good thread :up:

I believe they have performed some of the "new" songs live, but they won't be able to decide on a mix for each until at least take 9763590675063578673057.

Sounds like some irish band I know....

I have some songs from the 2001 reissue. Good stuff.
Son of Gun is such a nice track. You hardly hear stuff like this anymore.
EDIT: Thanks again for the thread... now I'm listening again to their album... it's been some time.

I've been meaning to give this band a go, but never seem to get around to it. I hope that this thread can motivate me. Some of the guys in the record shop across the street from my apartment, in Japan, really dug on them. Got any full-on descriptions for a guy trapped behind 56k? I pretty much have to imagine shit, at this point.

Is it just me or There She Goes sound a lot like R.E.M.?

Interesting you should post about them today. My local independent station was playing 'There She Goes' this morning on my way to work, and I thought, "I should look into the rest of their work at some point, as they seem like the kind of band I'd like."

My introduction to the band came from the So I Married an Axe Murderer Soundtrack. A cover of 'There She Goes' by The Boo Radleys was on the soundtrack, as well as the original by The La's.

Is it just me or There She Goes sound a lot like R.E.M.?

Though I'd never thought that before, I guess it kinda does. For some reason it reminds me of The Stone Roses, even though it doesn't really sound like them. :shrug: I think I'm crazy, maybe.

Got any full-on descriptions for a guy trapped behind 56k? I pretty much have to imagine shit, at this point.

The album is a lot like early Rolling Stones, but with dreamier production. I wouldn't compare it to early REM, but I can see where those who do are coming from.

The album is a lot like early Rolling Stones, but with dreamier production. I wouldn't compare it to early REM, but I can see where those who do are coming from.

It's the early "Brit-Pop" "Brit-Rock" sound. Stone Roses, Charltans, House of Love, etc.

I have their BBC In Session CD (with their four radio sessions for the Beeb). Good stuff! :up:

Another one to add to my "play again soon" list.

I found this in a used bin yesterday and picked it up for a whopping $5. I purchased this entirely based off of your recommendation, LeMeL. I guess that means your opinion is worth at least $5.

Also, why did no one mention Steve Lillywhite produced this?

I found this in a used bin yesterday and picked it up for a whopping $5. I purchased this entirely based off of your recommendation, LeMeL. I guess that means your opinion is worth at least $5.

Also, why did no one mention Steve Lillywhite produced this?

That's the greatest compliment I've received all day.

I probably should have, but the production style doesn't remind me much of The Psychedelic Furs or early U2. It feels very much of its time, like a Madchester take on early Stones or something, and the band was apparently unhappy with the results. But ignore them; it sounds great to me, just a little dated.

Finally got around to listening to this today while working. :up:

Which songs are your favs, leMel?

Haha, we like all the same songs. :up:

There She Goes is obviously a classic, so it's hard to top that, but I'm really liking Timeless Melody a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom