The Killers - Day And Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously what do people hate so much about Sam's Town? Bones is the only out right bad song on there

The killers second and third worse songs are on Hot Fuss; I really don't get it...

Seriously what do people hate so much about Sam's Town? Bones is the only out right bad song on there

The killers second and third worse songs are on Hot Fuss; I really don't get it...

I love the hell out of Hot Fuss and think it's solid nearly all of the way through with some stand-out tracks ("On Top," "All These Things...," "Mr. Brightside"). Sam's Town, while I think its best tracks are far superior to anything on Hot Fuss ("When You Were Young," "Read My Mind"), doesn't do much else for me. And now Day & Age seems mired in this weird sort of '80s vibe that I never liked, aside from a few tracks, yet again - a far cry from the kickass nature of Hot Fuss.

I'm glad a lot of people dig this album, but it was a slight disappointment for me.

All These Things and Everything Will Be Alright, completely ruin Hot Fuss for me. All These Things just sounded worse on repeated listens and I just wanted Brandon to shut up so much during the "I've got soul" part; and Everything was I song I never really got into.

On Top could be the best song on Hot Fuss though

The "I've got soul" portion is pretty bad, but I still dig it anyway. I give the guy a break on lyrics since he's obviously more retarded that Chris Martin in that department.

Then he unleashes "Are we human, or are we dancer?" which could actually top the chorus of "Somebody Told Me" on the Lyrical Idiocy scale.

At least he says the latter fast enough that it's easier to block out as opposed to Human were the bad lyric is shown pretty much front and centre.

An acoustic version would be a complete nightmare

And it's not that I think "I've got soul" is that bad, if he said it once I'd be fine with it but when he repeats it like he's come up with the most amazing lyric ever it becomes annoying

At least he says the latter fast enough that it's easier to block out as opposed to Human were the bad lyric is shown pretty much front and centre.

An acoustic version would be a complete nightmare

And it's not that I think "I've got soul" is that bad, if he said it once I'd be fine with it but when he repeats it like he's come up with the most amazing lyric ever it becomes annoying

A bad lyric's a bad lyric, but you do have a point.

The church chorus behind him really cracks me up, too.

Because (and I'm reusing insults here) it sounds like a bad Vegas act performing Born To Run from start to finish. It's pretentious, overblown (with nothing to back up such ambitions), and, for the damndest reason, Brandon Flowers' vocals went from smooth to irritating. I think he was going for intense heartland hero, but ended up just south of whiny.

Hot Fuss, for all of its flaws, is at least fun. That's all I can ask for. Brandon Flowers isn't a brilliant songwriter, so he sounds much better with swagger in his step, rather than a crappy-looking mustache on his face.

Day And Age is a step in the right direction. I don't care for a number of the songs, but the sound is there.

Because (and I'm reusing insults here) it sounds like a bad Vegas act performing Born To Run from start to finish. It's pretentious, overblown (with nothing to back up such ambitions), and, for the damndest reason, Brandon Flowers' vocals went from smooth to irritating. I think he was going for intense heartland hero, but ended up just south of whiny.

Hot Fuss, for all of its flaws, is at least fun. That's all I can ask for. Brandon Flowers isn't a brilliant songwriter, so he sounds much better with swagger in his step, rather than a crappy-looking mustache on his face.

:applaud: I didn't know how to word it, but this is exactly why I gave Sam's Town 1.5. Just a horrendous change in musical direction that wasn't warranted and that they were really too young for. :down:

Sam's Town, When You Were Young, Read My Mind, This River is Wild are the only 4 stellar tracks on that album. the rest doesn't stand out very well. Hot Fuss is a classic. I'm not sure if Day & Age is/will be (1 amazing and 2 pretty good b-sides help), but it's better than Sam's Town, though their 2nd album isn't as bad as some here have described it.

hmm, i am liking the album so far, much better than HotFuss
(my least fave) and certainly sounds better than Sam's Town(which i really enjoyed, ha).
anyway, D&A sounds better with each listen, but i still dont care for Human..

Most overrated Killers song: Read My Mind

Most underrated Killers song: On Top

On Top is a great song. I've never heard much love for Read My Mind before. In fact, I think it's a weaker moment on Sam's Town. To me, the most underrated Killers song is probably Uncle Jonny.

I hated Uncle Johnny when it was an unreleased track from Hot Fuss, and I was devastated to see it make the album. It's grown on me, but it's the one song on Sam's Town I'll skip 9 times out of ten.

And Read My Mind is one of my favorite songs ever, let alone Killers tracks.

Seriously what do people hate so much about Sam's Town?

To this question, I point to this answer being closest to my views:

Brandon Flowers' vocals went from smooth to irritating. I think he was going for intense heartland hero, but ended up just south of whiny.

Hot Fuss, for all of its flaws, is at least fun.

As I've said before in this forum and maybe even in this thread, the change in singing style was the worst thing about Sam's Town for me. It was smooth and suave on Hot Fuss. Example: Smile Like You Mean It. Love the vocals there! Whereas on ST, he sounds overly dramatic and annoying! Example: "you never returned my caaaaall" from Read My Mind. (Thanks to Pla for providing me with a great example of why I hated his vocals on ST :wink: )

Anyway that said, I do like Sam's Town for a lot of reasons. I love the opener and the way it is structured kinda like Sgt. Peppers. Read My Mind, River Is Wild and even some of the other songs are pretty good. It's just not on the same level as HF for me.

You realize this is extremely subjective, right? lol.

PS: Loving the On Top appreciation here! What a sexy song! It made my sexy playlist too. ;)

Most overrated Killers song: Read My Mind

Most underrated Killers song: On Top

agreed. but #2 and #3 underrated songs go to This River is Wild and Sam's Town. i honestly cannot see how some can consider Read My Mind a better song than Sam's Town. it's an amazing start to the album, and that guitar riff at the end is fucking tops. This River is Wild is an even better song. they both kick the shit out of Read My Mind imo (a decent song but nothing amazing).

The "Like Rebels Diamonds" mix of Read My Mind is stellar.

It sounds more like a Springsteen song as opposed to Duran Duran... which is always a plus, in my eyes at least.

I really can't figure out why I never got into Sam's Town. On first listen, I thought it was very good, very solid. But I rarely listened to it, even though in my mind I knew it wasn't a bad record. Even the singles didn't do much for me.

It took me forever to actually buy Sam's Town, although I'm glad I did in the end

When You Were Young - Made me go "What the hell? This can't be the Killers"
Bones - Made me think "Oh dear god they sound awful now"
Read My Mind - Made me think "Yay they sound like Hot Fuss again"
And For Reasons Unknown - Made me think "This is one awful single"

Sam's Town had such bad single choices...

Back
Top Bottom