The Killers - Day And Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like "Losing Touch" quite a bit and "Human" well enough. But once "Spaceman" kicks in, I can't stand to listen any longer. If I can make it past "Spaceman," it's just to have "Joy Ride" kick me in the balls immediately after. Those songs are horrible.

Tidal Wave should have been on the album.

I don't mean that in the way I do when I say I wish Forget About What I Said was on the album. I mean that as in, it actually fits with the mood of the album, and I think it would have served to strengthen the album as a whole.

I think Spaceman is one of the stronger songs on the album.

agreed. but if only they had kept the loop in and the fluffy 'oh oh ohs' out, it would be one of the best killers tracks ever, up there with When You Were Young and All These Things That I've Done. i'm not saying they turned it into a bad song, but they took a potentially classic song, added that stupid intro and outro bs, and killed the song right near the climax. seriously, the stupid synth part in the bridge on the album version brings the song to a complete stop -- the loop in the old versions brought the song to it's climax in compelling style. what a waste.

I really wanna know why All These Things That I've Done gets so much praise. It's my least favourite Killers song.

I really wanna know why All These Things That I've Done gets so much praise. It's my least favourite Killers song.

It's my favorite! :drool:

It's a big rock anthem, with a great stadium sing-along chorus, and lots of fun rhythm changes. *shrug* Art is always a matter of personal taste, so who I am to tell you what to like -- but I think most big Killers fans view this one the way U2 fans look at Streets.

agreed. but if only they had kept the loop in and the fluffy 'oh oh ohs' out, it would be one of the best killers tracks ever, up there with When You Were Young and All These Things That I've Done. i'm not saying they turned it into a bad song, but they took a potentially classic song, added that stupid intro and outro bs, and killed the song right near the climax. seriously, the stupid synth part in the bridge on the album version brings the song to a complete stop -- the loop in the old versions brought the song to it's climax in compelling style. what a waste.

I have to completely disagree with you here. The ending of the studio version is my favorite part of the song for one. But for two, the worst part of Spaceman is that Nile runs from east to west lyric, and since it's in both versions, and I like the ending on the studio version, studio wins :wink:.

Not to mention, the Killers live are really brought down a few pegs when Brandon runs out of breath like that. It's one of the reasons I've never been super eager to see them live (though I have once, and it actually was spectacular that time.)

I have to completely disagree with you here. The ending of the studio version is my favorite part of the song for one. But for two, the worst part of Spaceman is that Nile runs from east to west lyric, and since it's in both versions, and I like the ending on the studio version, studio wins :wink:.

Not to mention, the Killers live are really brought down a few pegs when Brandon runs out of breath like that. It's one of the reasons I've never been super eager to see them live (though I have once, and it actually was spectacular that time.)

when did brandon run out of breath? if you're talking about the very end, when he repeats 'its all in my mind', it's an amazing end to that song imo. while the rest of the song is fast-paced and fun, the end gets serious and pretty dark as he's trying to convince himself that this horrifying ordeal was only imaginary. they had a trite and piercing bullet of a rock song, but they fluffed it up added the 'oh oh oh's and the stop during the bridge. in no way is brandon's cheesy, predictable synth part to end the bridge better than that huge loop coming back. it's resurrected from the intro, it keeps the song going at full speed, and it sounds exactly what it should sound like -- a fucking alien spaceship. such a great idea gone to waste imo.

i've seen videos of Brandon singing a verse or two at nowhere near the right pitch, but i've never seen him run out of breath. he's a fantastic performer, his voice is getting much stronger, and you will not regret seeing them again.

Love the album. Haven't heard the bonus tracks yet. But I think, as is, had they cut "I Can't Stay", this could be a classic record. That song kind of disturbs the flow for me. I love everything else on it, standouts being "Losing Touch", "Dustland Fairytale" and "This Is Your Life". Awesome record overall.

It's my favorite! :drool:

It's a big rock anthem, with a great stadium sing-along chorus, and lots of fun rhythm changes. *shrug* Art is always a matter of personal taste, so who I am to tell you what to like -- but I think most big Killers fans view this one the way U2 fans look at Streets.

Then again, I also think Sam's Town is by far their best record, and has their three best songs (When You Were Young, Bones, and Uncle Jonny). So I'm probably in the huge minority there, anyway.

I honestly could not get through "Sam's Town" all the way through more than 2 or 3 times.

I freakin' LOVE "Hot Fuss" and could listen to that album over and over and over again, start to finish.

I'm guessing from what I've been hearing this new one probably is more "Sam's Town"-ish than "Hot Fuss"-ish. :(

I'll probably pick up "Day and Age", but my expectations aren't that high.

Why A Crippling Blow and Tidal Wave aren't in the album proper is beyond me. Maybe 49.5 minutes is too long? Or perhaps they want to be able to put them both on Sawdust 2 a year after their next album?

Is this album worth the 10 bucks or whatever at best buy?

It's as good as Hot Fuss and Sam's Town but with no amazing tracks but it's a lot more consistent

I'll probably get it whenever it goes on sale, not worth paying full price for but yeah I'd get it for $10

A Crippling Blow is golden. my guess is that it didn't fit well with the flow of the album. i think it's better as just an amazing b-side

I like "Losing Touch" quite a bit and "Human" well enough. But once "Spaceman" kicks in, I can't stand to listen any longer. If I can make it past "Spaceman," it's just to have "Joy Ride" kick me in the balls immediately after. Those songs are horrible.

It doesn't get much better after that.

Chalk me up as disappointed, too.

Back
Top Bottom