The Killers - Day And Age - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
also, is this the first Killers album that has no songs about murder? lol

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #332
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:41 AM
I had that thought at some point in time yesterday, I think one of the songs might be about murder, but I forget which one now.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #333
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 AM
I'm surprised a lot of people mention Joy Ride as a favorite. I think it's horrible.

I think my favorite song on the whole thing so far is Losing Touch. Great track.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #334
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

joy ride grew on me a ton since the live videos first went up on youtube a few weeks ago. this whole album is amazing. there may not be one obvious lyrical theme throughout the album, but there is definitely a musical one, partly in thanks to stuart price i suspect. what a great production job
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #335
The Fly

Local Time: 11:41 AM
i like

Losing Touch,
This is Your Life,
I Can't Stay,
Neon Tiger,
The World That We Live In is alright,
Goodnight Travel Well,
A Crippling Blow,
Forget About What I Said - which i think has the best sound, i prefer indie rock sound of Killers, or the opposite of Human if u want.

CONCLUSION: all three albums are full of amazing tunes + interesting arrangement and lyric ideas, but i find the sound of Hot Fuzz the best.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Stuart Price is definitely the man of the hour. He first did production work on "Don't Shoot Me Santa" for the Killers, and then he did last year's Sawdust album too. And now this!

Has anyone seen any critical reviews of the album yet? I can't find any and am curious to see what the know-it-all critics think. Sam's Town got mixed reviews but I *have* to think that this one's worth at least, say, 4 stars from RS.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
Stuart Price is definitely the man of the hour. He first did production work on "Don't Shoot Me Santa" for the Killers, and then he did last year's Sawdust album too. And now this!

Has anyone seen any critical reviews of the album yet? I can't find any and am curious to see what the know-it-all critics think. Sam's Town got mixed reviews but I *have* to think that this one's worth at least, say, 4 stars from RS.

overall they are much better than Sam's Town reviews, with a couple of really bad ones and a few really great ones. RS gave it a 3.5, but i agree, it deserves a 4.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 AM
After three listens....
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 AM   #339
Rock n' Roll Doggie

3.5 stars from Spin, too:

-----
The Killers, 'Day and Age' (Island)
* * * 1/2
Brandon Flowers and Co. cruise the Vegas Strip once again.
By Stacey Anderson 11.18.08 12:22 PM

Hunter S. Thompson would not have liked this album. Which isn't saying much, considering he spent the majority of his time face-up spewing vitriolic rants about these shallow kids today and their endless entitlement. "A generation of dancers," he once seethed. And yet, this quote has inspired a boastful band from Las Vegas to bow their heads and once again make a respectably vivacious dance-rock album.

When Brandon Flowers sings, "Are we human or are we dancer?" on "Human," Day & Age's stylishly spry lead single, he speaks from experience; the Killers' first two LPs essentially split their personality. Hot Fuss (2004) introduced the boys as irresistibly tarty, retro new wavers, the best that Britain never had to offer. Sam's Town (2006) lobbied for everyman gravitas with Americana indulgence and pseudo–Bruce Springsteen proselytizing (driven over the edge by Flowers' new, Luxor-size ego). The sincere-sophomore-album trap has claimed countless glossy bands, but now the Killers largely rein in the excess and find a connection between their two extremes.

Opener "Losing Touch" unfolds, prophetically, with blaring saxophones and a broad David Bowie groove, establishing Day & Age's glam-rock core (overseen by "fifth member"/producer Stuart Price). Like Sam's Town, every track inflates steadily to echoing heights, but the band sounds more mindful than grandiose. This is a cohesive record, even though it's peppered with unexpected diversions; "I Can't Stay" is sweet Tropicália with steel drums and acoustic guitar, cresting in heaps of violins and melancholy. "This Is Your Life" pulses with pop-funk swagger, layering Bobby McFerrin–style chanting over a great marching bass line.

As with the previous albums, the Killers shine on more up-tempo songs (mostly because Flowers has less time to spout nonsense). "Spaceman" is a refreshingly straightforward, probing anthem in the Hot Fuss/New Order vein, though it does permit an interlude of Flowers' lofty inscrutability: "My global position systems are vocally addressed / They say the Nile used to run from east to west," he intones. (Geographers, talk amongst yourselves.) This is the posturing that, when unchecked in more languid songs, derails the band's atmospheric allure. Amid the churning piano swing of "A Dustland Fairytale," Flowers duels for dominance with guitarist Dave Keuning's arena-filling reverb, recycling Wild West imagery before adding, "Saw Cinderella in a party dress / But she was looking for a nightgown." Even the Boss would have a hard time selling that one.

But when they strip down the wordy solemnity, the Killers can deliver quite a spectacle. They remain fascinated by heartland mythos, but by becoming more comfortable with their glitzy roots, they've actually found the pulse of something more authentic. After all, you can't take the Vegas out of the showmen.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

The plastic 80s sound is similar to the new Keane....
Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #341
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Just listened to the album. Maybe it will turn out to be a grower but after the first listen it sounds pretty average, nothing really stuck in my head except for Human which is nowhere near their best.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 AM
After a few listens I think the album is about 3.5 stars just like their other two; at least they're consistent...
Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 AM
sorry to be negative, but after one listen, this album confirms that i have no interest in the killers whatsoever. i think they're boring, and their singer is awful.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

The only thing that puts me off from thinking this is the best release from The Killers is the overusage of saxophone.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think it has four great songs: Human, Spaceman, A Dustland Fairytale, This is Your Life, as well as two very good songs: Losing Touch and Neon Tiger.

No wonder U2, Lou Reed, and Paul McCartney are all huge fans!

Tags
day and age, the killers