The Killers - Day And Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First impressions.

I like it. Nothing mind-blowing or anything, just good music to listen to. That's what you get with The Killers. Much better than Sam's Town, but it falls short of Hot Fuss.

Ashley mentioned Joy Ride, and I would have to agree that it's probably the worst song on there as of now. We'll see if a few more listens changes anything.

All right i'm listening to it for a fourth time now, and can honestly say that I do LIKE Joy Ride. It's probably got a lot to do with me being a sucker for saxophone, but I really do think they wrote a generally fun song.

joyride is great. i've never heard a killers song like this one (or most on this album, for that matter). the guitar and sax and bass and drums in joyride totally rock the shit. so does that echoed synth thing near the end of the song. yeah, you know what i mean. it's nuts.

The lyrics are some of the Killers' best. The writing is simply better than on the earlier albums... lots of geographic imagery too, which I always like ("the Sierras," "the southwestern sun" etc.)

What an album!

:drool:

Joyride is the balls!

The bass is killer, and it just fucking rocks.

This is Your Life is my fav atm, but there are no bad songs.

I am absolutely loving the middle section...

Joyride > Dustland Fairytale > This Is Your Life > I Can't Stay

Ive had a night to sleep on it, to calm down, approach it with a bit of perspective, but I just get more excited! WOW!!!

Hot Fuss probably had better singles (SLYMI, STM, ATTTID) but worse album songs (AYAS, BMN, OT)

Sam's Town had one better single (WYWY) worse other singles (Bones, FRU) and a mix with non-singles (WDIKC, Bling = better) (UJ, TRIW, enter/exitlude worse).

All in all I think it is their best album. Every song is solid and holds it's place. I'm glad it is a short album (never thought I would say that) as there is no fluff, no filler, just 10 great songs. While the other two fluctuate from good to mind blowing and back again throughout, this album stays just a touch under mind-blowing through every song.

He's just one of the most interesting singers in rock today. His phrasing is so weird, so modern, so retro, all at once. His inflections are so unusual: often, the cadence soars and ticks "up" at the end of a line, instead of downwards, if that makes sense? So few singers do that.

Hot Fuss was awesometastic and Sam's Town sounded like a high-budget Born To Run tribute album, but I'm not entirely sure what Day & Age is supposed to be. There's no particular sound or theme...it just kind of floats around, with some songs being good, and some being mediocre. But there isn't a hint of pretense to be found, which is pretty cool.

Favorites so far:

Losing Touch
Joyride
The World We Live In (You know what this one reminds me of? Tears For Fears' "Break It Down Again".)

I could write an 800-word essay on exactly why I hate Human so much, but suffice it to say that I find the melody to be Velveeta at best, and the instrumentation makes the song sound like something that the Numa Numa guy could earn himself another 15 minutes of fame with. The lyrics are some of the worst that Flowers has ever penned, and it all sounds like something the band worked out the day before sending the album in to be mastered as a contrived attempt to create the Hugest Single Ever Made. Hugest Piece of Shit, maybe.

It's a shame that A Crippling Blow and Forget About What I Said couldn't make the album proper, because they're both solid tunes.

Hot Fuss was awesometastic and Sam's Town sounded like a high-budget Born To Run tribute album, but I'm not entirely sure what Day & Age is supposed to be. There's no particular sound or theme...it just kind of floats around, with some songs being good, and some being mediocre. But there isn't a hint of pretense to be found, which is pretty cool.

Favorites so far:

Losing Touch
Joyride
The World We Live In (You know what this one reminds me of? Tears For Fears' "Break It Down Again".)

I could write an 800-word essay on exactly why I hate Human so much, but suffice it to say that I find the melody to be Velveeta at best, and the instrumentation makes the song sound like something that the Numa Numa guy could earn himself another 15 minutes of fame with. The lyrics are some of the worst that Flowers has ever penned, and it all sounds like something the band worked out the day before sending the album in to be mastered as a contrived attempt to create the Hugest Single Ever Made. Hugest Piece of Shit, maybe.

It's a shame that A Crippling Blow and Forget About What I Said couldn't make the album proper, because they're both solid tunes.

I definitely hear a little Tears for Fears as well as some Talking Heads on this album. I think there is an arc or theme to the album, but I just haven't found it yet, heh. "Day & Age" is the clue, I think -- maybe it's meant to be a zeitgeist album, a timestamp. And the location is the American west.

I wasn't blown away much on first listen but maybe(hopefully) it's a grower

I read something in the paper about Brandon sending weeks on the lyrics of Human...why did he ever think that was a good lyric?

I definitely hear a little Tears for Fears as well as some Talking Heads on this album. I think there is an arc or theme to the album, but I just haven't found it yet, heh. "Day & Age" is the clue, I think -- maybe it's meant to be a zeitgeist album, a timestamp. And the location is the American west.

"So, if Sam's Town is about Vegas, what is this one about?

For me it's definitely a continuation. On this one I was thinking more universal. Like, when Morrissey was singing about Manchester, I thought, "I got it." [laughs]. I don't know. Maybe I didn't. I feel like that's the duty, I guess. You're supposed to represent where you're from, and—I'm trying to figure out what that is— I don't know how to do it. I don't know."

There is a definate death theme through the album, or at least letting go. Goodnight, Travel Well is reportedly about when his mother contracted cancer (hence the soaring end on the knees etc)

but you can also hear it in the lyrics of losing touch, i can't stay, this is your life (the idea of looking back over it all), and even human (on my knees lookinjg for the answer).

Not really an overriding theme, just definately hints of it here and there

ok seriously, I think like, the big thing I really love about this album is how many different sounds there are on it. I mean maybe it's all slightly similar, but you've got those backing vocals on This Is Your Life, saxophone on Joy Ride and I Can't Stay, as well as all the other awesome sounds in I Can't Stay. I don't know, I really love that.

Yeah there's no theme, but this album is REALLY growing on me

Back
Top Bottom