The Killers - Battle Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened to it once Thursday night while packing for San Diego. There are some solid tracks that will probably grow on me, but I also felt like there are some clunky lyrics throughout.

While driving to the U2 show, my friend and I caught the replay of the small concert The Killers did for Sirius/XM. That was a nice warm-up for us.

Having read a bit about the background (most dogs written about Brandon’s wife’s abusive upbringing/challenges with mental illness) this album is in another level. The interplay between Rut (her perspective) and Life to Come (his) is amazing. Tyson v Douglas is epic too.

It’s alright. I didn’t like The Man, it veers into Arcade Fire as of late dance songs and El Vy did a better song with the same subject matter on I’m The Man to Be.

So many meh or good tracks but not great, it's a bit inspirationless, I really feel it's time for them to do an album with Eno and Lanois especially, get them some more ideas. Always thought Lanois could make something more special with them.

This just feels like post-eno U2 borefest for me, barely like anything they released after NLOTH either.

So many meh or good tracks but not great, it's a bit inspirationless, I really feel it's time for them to do an album with Eno and Lanois especially, get them some more ideas. Always thought Lanois could make something more special with them.

This just feels like post-eno U2 borefest for me, barely like anything they released after NLOTH either.

Lanois produced Battle Born and Brandon’s first solo album

Lanois produced Battle Born and Brandon’s first solo album

He's gotten a few good ones out of them too. The Way It Was and Be Still are probably highlights on Battle Born, and Hard Enough and Jilted Lovers & Broken Hearts are decents songs off the Flamingo album.

Tracks I like:

Wonderful Wonderful
Run For Cover
Tyson Vs Douglas
Out of My Mind
The Calling

They're soundchecking at the mcg right now.

Including a cover of forgotten years by midnight oil.

I don't even like The Killers, but I remember coming across a surprisingly good cover of If God Will Send His Angels by them one time. From some show.

If anyone is interested I'm pretty sure the set (x2) was

When you were young
Somebody told me
The man
Forgotten years
Read my mind
Mr Brightside

I know you guys have been wondering how you were meant to feel about this album and I've let you down. BUT NEVER FEAR. I am now here.

I like it.

I like it too for the most part. Love the Depeche Mode vibe on The Calling. I'm still kinda bummed only half the band is touring though.

One of the best things to ever happen.

That was really cool...and hopefully made up a bit for that awkward pre-game interview, them not knowing much about AFL. FWIW Brandon's never come across as knowing much about any sport, American or Australian.

I thought this was an interesting excerpt about Mark and Dave not touring anymore. Sounds like Brandon's not exactly happy with how things went down.

“It felt like too long,” Brandon Flowers decides now, in the present day. “We initially took these long breaks to give Mark and Dave a longer space between records so they’d be refreshed and rejuvenated and have the time that they needed to do it again,” he explains. It’s been a little over a year since bassist Mark Stoermer announced he would no longer tour with the band, while guitarist Dave Keuning’s decision to leave the live side – both members still plan to write and record – is still fresh news.

“Obviously, that still wasn’t quite going to solve the problem and so it’s a little frustrating,” the frontman confirms. “I mean, I wouldn’t have made those solo records… With the records [2010’s ‘Flamingo’ and its 2015 follow-up ‘The Desired Effect’] I made, I’m proud of the work that I did with them, but I was doing it to give [Mark and Dave] a break. I wasn’t doing it for vanity and there wasn’t some itch I needed to scratch. I would prefer that I was talking to you about the eighth Killers record.”

I've seen other recent interviews where Brandon and Ronnie have talked about the four of them going to therapy. Definitely a messy situation where everyone is on a different page. I feel bad for Brandon, but I also see how much joy he is bringing to their live shows right now. It seems like, without Dave and Mark, Brandon and Ronnie have had more fun promoting this album and playing their shows. Hoping they can sort out an arrangement that works for everyone in the long run.

And as a fan, I want to be talking about the eighth Killers record too.

Ha me too. Can you imagine...eight albums already. Gotta love Brandon's ambition.

I remember him talking in another interview about taking a two month break after touring...something to the effect that his dad worked in the grocery business his whole life and never got two months off; so for Brandon, taking a two month break was more than enough.

Last edited:
I love this band, truly. And while I don’t dislike Wonderful Wonderful, it has had the least impact on me of all their work, including Brandon’s solo albums.

And to be honest, at this stage, I’d be equally happy with Brandon Solo records and tours, where Ronnie drums and the others contribute if they feel able.

I think Brandon is one of the great artists of his generation, even if his scope is broad, and his two solo records very good in their own right. Indeed, I consider The Desired Effect a wonderfully complete work in theme and execution.

It sucks that this situation exists. It sucks this it hits their authenticity, when their period 2004-09 was so fulfilling for me. I feel fortunate that Brandon’s, and Ronnie’s, work ethic means they plow on regardless. I’d rather appreciate what they’re giving me, than what they’re not.

I thought this was an interesting excerpt about Mark and Dave not touring anymore. Sounds like Brandon's not exactly happy with how things went down.

“It felt like too long,” Brandon Flowers decides now, in the present day. “We initially took these long breaks to give Mark and Dave a longer space between records so they’d be refreshed and rejuvenated and have the time that they needed to do it again,” he explains. It’s been a little over a year since bassist Mark Stoermer announced he would no longer tour with the band, while guitarist Dave Keuning’s decision to leave the live side – both members still plan to write and record – is still fresh news.

“Obviously, that still wasn’t quite going to solve the problem and so it’s a little frustrating,” the frontman confirms. “I mean, I wouldn’t have made those solo records… With the records [2010’s ‘Flamingo’ and its 2015 follow-up ‘The Desired Effect’] I made, I’m proud of the work that I did with them, but I was doing it to give [Mark and Dave] a break. I wasn’t doing it for vanity and there wasn’t some itch I needed to scratch. I would prefer that I was talking to you about the eighth Killers record.”

Yeah, he more or less has hinted at these things while promoting his solo albums... that he wishes they were proper "Killers" records, the whole thing with other members needing "a break", etc. Obviously though, no one anticipated having a situation where only half the original band would be touring though.

I love this band, truly. And while I don’t dislike Wonderful Wonderful, it has had the least impact on me of all their work, including Brandon’s solo albums.

And to be honest, at this stage, I’d be equally happy with Brandon Solo records and tours, where Ronnie drums and the others contribute if they feel able.

I think Brandon is one of the great artists of his generation, even if his scope is broad, and his two solo records very good in their own right. Indeed, I consider The Desired Effect a wonderfully complete work in theme and execution.

It sucks that this situation exists. It sucks this it hits their authenticity, when their period 2004-09 was so fulfilling for me. I feel fortunate that Brandon’s, and Ronnie’s, work ethic means they plow on regardless. I’d rather appreciate what they’re giving me, than what they’re not.

Right. Brandon's definitely put himself into a solid situation of putting something out every few years, and for the most part he does back it up. The Desired Effect was definitely his most cohesive work in years and I probably prefer it over Wonderful Wonderful as a whole too.

I haven't listened to WW since the week it came out. I love the singles on the radio, but beyond that, I haven't felt motivated to go back to it.

Maybe I'll just listen to The Desired Effect again. I feel like my thoughts on Brandon's solo albums will be different now that I understand better why he was making them.

Yeah I’m starting to feel like I have all The Killers songs I’m ever going to need. I didn’t dislike the new album but it faded from my memory really fast.

Looks like Dave and Mark are planning to play for the Vegas Strong benefit show on December 1. :up:

Brandon inducted 'The Cars' into the Rock & Roll HOF over the weekend:

Back
Top Bottom