The Killers - Battle Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day and Age is unfairly ignored. Aside from the meandering last track, it's an enjoyable 40 mins and it didn't have the skippable filler of the previous two albums.

Am I the only one who absolutely hated his solo album? Besides "Crossfire," I found nothing salvageable from it.

I didn't mind some of the songs on there myself. I know that I found Crossfire very mediocre on the initial listens, but it did end up growing on me over time. Only the Young is ace too, along with Swallow It and maybe one or two others.

Weirdly enough, I've been giving Day & Age a lot more listens as of late and I'm finding that it was actually a pretty solid album. Definitely more consistent than Battle Born as a whole, imo. Songs like Losing Touch and The World We Live In are ones that I haven't heard in years, but they even hold up with a lot of the stronger tracks on there.

I'm seeing the band in St. Paul on August 1st, which will be my second show of theirs. The first was at the same venue back in 2007, actually! I'm pretty excited for it, especially for the chance to hear some of the stuff off the past two albums live for the first time.

I love Magdalena and thoroughly enjoy all songs on Flamingo bar Playing With Fire.

The Clock Was Tickin' is awesome as well - love that track on the bonus disc.

I'll keep listening and listening to Battle Born...

... and I'll continue to say that "Carry Me Home" is the single greatest track [not] on the record.

I don't get it. Maybe it doesn't fit the sound of the album? Could've fixed that problem for ya... get rid of the five or six shitty songs on the album.

Caught my first Killers show the other day in St. Paul...I've gotta say I was very impressed! The crowd was kind of lethargic and lame for the first few songs, but the band delivered and had the place bouncing from about the 4th song until the end of the show. My only disappointment was that they did not play Flesh and Bones.

The new songs that were played (The Way It Was, Miss Atomic Bomb, From Here On Out, Runaways, Battle Born) sounded soooo much better live than on the album. After the the show my friend and I both came to the conclusion that The Killers really did not do the new songs justice with the production style used on Battle Born--- a grittier feel would have been much better than the super polished production. That said, I enjoy the album.

Glad to see some Killers fans on Interference!

I have seen them on every album and tour since "Hot Fuss " dropped. I have always enjoyed their music and Brandon's vocals. I agree that "Battle Born" had a really polished sound but it matched the epic feel they were going for.

After 4 albums, they are at the make or break stage of their career and need to record a "Achtung Baby" if they want to push to the next threshold.

I will be interested to watch their next moves going forward.

Thanks

Caught my first Killers show the other day in St. Paul...I've gotta say I was very impressed! The crowd was kind of lethargic and lame for the first few songs, but the band delivered and had the place bouncing from about the 4th song until the end of the show. My only disappointment was that they did not play Flesh and Bones.

The new songs that were played (The Way It Was, Miss Atomic Bomb, From Here On Out, Runaways, Battle Born) sounded soooo much better live than on the album. After the the show my friend and I both came to the conclusion that The Killers really did not do the new songs justice with the production style used on Battle Born--- a grittier feel would have been much better than the super polished production. That said, I enjoy the album.

I was there too! I caught them at the same venue six years ago and this show definitely topped the prior one. Brandon's stage presence and enthusiasm has come a long way since then, which might have something to do with it. That being said, the band sounded good as did the songs themselves.

I did watch the show from the front row at the rail, and it didn't seem to me that too many people weren't into the show. Yet again, maybe my viewpoint had something to do with it? The GA crowd seemed to be pretty into it, and even the people in the upper levels looked like they were standing for almost the whole show. We even had a few crowd surfers come over towards the end of When You Were Young! ;)

There were also quite a few U2 fans that I talked to before the show too, which was interesting. I guess there's some crossing of fans for both bands for whatever reason. One woman I spoke to even claimed that both bands were the only ones she would follow on tour! Very cool...

I was there too! I caught them at the same venue six years ago and this show definitely topped the prior one. Brandon's stage presence and enthusiasm has come a long way since then, which might have something to do with it. That being said, the band sounded good as did the songs themselves.

I did watch the show from the front row at the rail, and it didn't seem to me that too many people weren't into the show. Yet again, maybe my viewpoint had something to do with it? The GA crowd seemed to be pretty into it, and even the people in the upper levels looked like they were standing for almost the whole show. We even had a few crowd surfers come over towards the end of When You Were Young! ;)

There were also quite a few U2 fans that I talked to before the show too, which was interesting. I guess there's some crossing of fans for both bands for whatever reason. One woman I spoke to even claimed that both bands were the only ones she would follow on tour! Very cool...

it maybe that some U2 fans became fans of them partially because of Brandon's on stage performance with U2 in '05 in Vegas.. He came on stage and did In a Little While, I was there and it was awesome..

I saw the crowd surfers! The intensity definitely kept building throughout the show. I was about 3 layers deep from the rail on the far right of the stage, and the enthusiasm initially was a lot higher in the middle for the first few songs and that spread out to the whole floor after a few songs. Brandon is definitely one of the better frontmen I've seen in terms of trying to get the audience involved constantly.

BTW, I saw your video of Bling on youtube. (unless there is another trevgreg2 stalking you), you definitely had a pretty prime spot! My friend and I probably could have been pretty near the front/center but were lured away by the Eagle Street bar until about 7 o'clock!

I saw the crowd surfers! The intensity definitely kept building throughout the show. I was about 3 layers deep from the rail on the far right of the stage, and the enthusiasm initially was a lot higher in the middle for the first few songs and that spread out to the whole floor after a few songs. Brandon is definitely one of the better frontmen I've seen in terms of trying to get the audience involved constantly.

BTW, I saw your video of Bling on youtube. (unless there is another trevgreg2 stalking you), you definitely had a pretty prime spot! My friend and I probably could have been pretty near the front/center but were lured away by the Eagle Street bar until about 7 o'clock!

Yep, that was my video! ;) I got there a few hours before the doors opened when there were only about 12 people in front. I was able to be the second or third out on the floor and took a spot right in the middle. It was a really cool spot to watch the show though, and the people around me were pretty great and really into the show. Yet again, I don't think there were too many bad spots on the floor or even in the seating area. It was a pretty intimate show for an auditorium of that size (imo).

I still find it very cool that they opened with Mr. Brightside while the house lights were on the whole time. I've never been a part of a show that did it that way, so it was an interesting change of pace. Really seemed to get people going too.

The GA got even crazier towards the end when Brandon came down the rail to say hello to a lot of people. One of the guys who I was talking to before the show grabbed him and gave him a great bear hug, and then I could feel the avalanche of people behind me trying to grab him at the same time! :lol: I gave Brandon two hand slaps after that was done and also got one of Ronnie's drumsticks during the encore, which was pretty cool. Someone even offered me $100 cash for it right afterward, but I figured I'd keep it! ;) I met the band after the show too, and they couldn't have been nicer guys.

I saw them on Monday in Raleigh, they were fantastic as usual.

Of note for us U2 fans is that Stuart Morgan (Adam's bass tech) is still doing bass tech duties for Mark Stoermer (The Killers' bass player). Mark has a regular guitar that he plays for one song and Stuart deals with that one too...last time I saw The Killers (last summer) he soundchecked it by playing a bit of Desire and during soundcheck on Monday I swear he played the main riff of Mothers Of The Disappeared, of all things!!

I saw them on Monday in Raleigh, they were fantastic as usual.

Of note for us U2 fans is that Stuart Morgan (Adam's bass tech) is still doing bass tech duties for Mark Stoermer (The Killers' bass player). Mark has a regular guitar that he plays for one song and Stuart deals with that one too...last time I saw The Killers (last summer) he soundchecked it by playing a bit of Desire and during soundcheck on Monday I swear he played the main riff of Mothers Of The Disappeared, of all things!!

YES, Stuart is still teching for Mark. In fact he soundchecked 40 on sat! I sort of squealed when he did!

disappointed

im disappointed by the sales of battle born, as it is solid and a step for the band

the killers worked with DANIEL LANOIS and LILLYWHITE

in the past they worked also with flood

Tritto.

But seriously. Battle Born is getting the sales of what it deserves. Good but not great.

Funny enough I would probably guess this album has the highest praise by critics.

Back
Top Bottom