The Killers - Battle Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, especially in that "we can wait till tomorrow" line I thought I was listening to a Keane song.

If we're just talking about the vocals, I can agree with that.

But I don't think the song sounds anything like Keane. That band doesn't have a guitar player, for one thing.

I guess the album title "Battle Born" is the state slogan of Nevada, which reflects the fact that Nevada became a state in 1864 during the Civil War.

...and now you know.

Unable to listen until I get home from work in like 4 hours :angry:

Any impressions beyond like/dislike? What previous Killers does it remind you of? Any stylistic notes / reviews?

I like it. I would call it reminiscent of their earlier work yet still quite fresh at the same time.

Just downloaded it. It's alright, maybe it has to grow on me. It's no When You Were Young.. Reminds me of Dustland Fairytale in terms of storytelling.

Just had a sneaky listen. Sounds a bit like a morph of WYWY and Dustland Fairytale.

In a good way though.

Not as 'classic' as the first album, but not as throwaway either. Love the gallop guitar picking in the choruses. Some good chunky guitar sounds in that - not as thin as in Sam's Town. Brandon's voice sounds tops too.

Good to hear some synths prominent in the mix - proper synths, not Day & Age synths.

All over - 2 listens down on semi decent headphones - definite potential - bodes very well for the album. Will listen on repeat after work and see how much it sticks in my heads. I love "At night I come home after they go to sleep / like a stumbling ghost I haunt these halls"

Digging this song so far, especially the guitar.

Can't wait for the album, and definitely putting The Killers on my list of bands to see live ASAFP. Still mad at myself for missing them the last time they were in town.

Just had a sneaky listen. Sounds a bit like a morph of WYWY and Dustland Fairytale.

In a good way though.

Not as 'classic' as the first album, but not as throwaway either. Love the gallop guitar picking in the choruses. Some good chunky guitar sounds in that - not as thin as in Sam's Town. Brandon's voice sounds tops too.

Good to hear some synths prominent in the mix - proper synths, not Day & Age synths.

All over - 2 listens down on semi decent headphones - definite potential - bodes very well for the album. Will listen on repeat after work and see how much it sticks in my heads. I love "At night I come home after they go to sleep / like a stumbling ghost I haunt these halls"

:up: agreed.

I have listened a fair bit more now, and I am getting a big "This River is Wild" vibe (definitely underrated on Sam's Town).

Really growing, iTunes says I have played it 10 times through on my computer, and add probably 15 or so iphone car / running listens. Not getting sick of it yet, and it is getting stuck in my head when I'm not listening to it.

All good signs, and in typical Killers style, I expect this song to be the most 'immediate' song on the album, but say 7th or 8th best on the album. Same happened for me with Somebody Told Me, WYWY and Human. Actually, same again with Crossfire.

I get the feeling about the Killers that this album is going to be their 'Unforgettable Fire". The album that shows that they can mature but maintain their quality. I think they swapped War and October with Day & Age and Sam's Town.

I dunno about that.

While I love the Killers, in the past few years the only vibe I get from the band is 'we're only still together because we're The Killers'. Now I'm not saying that's the case, but I just don't see the strive from the Killers to really step up. Honestly, for an American rock band, the #1 band is theirs for the taking if you ask me...

TOMORROW NITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper::love:

can't wait!

enjoy the show. i'll be expecting a full report.

or at the very least a thumbs up/thumbs down.

hope you get to hear some more new tunes. I saw some interview where mr. flowers said that Runaways was the first song written, and a sort of jumping off point for everything else. that bodes well to my ears.

dudeman said:
enjoy the show. i'll be expecting a full report.

or at the very least a thumbs up/thumbs down.

hope you get to hear some more new tunes. I saw some interview where mr. flowers said that Runaways was the first song written, and a sort of jumping off point for everything else. that bodes well to my ears.

Yep, I will definitely report back. Unfortunately no cameras per the band
I'm so bummed. Called the box office and they confirmed it. I will have my iPhone though so I might be able to get something. :shrug:

I went to see The Killers last night in Richmond, VA...INCREDIBLE show.

And here is something that blew my mind... we were waiting for them to come on and the techs showed up to do soundcheck/put down setlists/etc. I thought I noticed a familiar face...sure enough it was Adam's bass tech Stuart Morgan handling Mark Stoermer's equipment!! He was even wearing a U2 360 Crew shirt. And then he had to soundcheck a guitar so he picked it up and started playing the riff from Desire!! I have no idea what he was doing there, it definitely took me by surprise :ohmy:

Richmond show was just great! The energy coming off the band especially Brandon and Ronnie was indescribable. They clearly were so happy to be back. . Got to the venue some time after 12. Only about 15 people in front of me. Met some nice people in line. Was hot as hell at times. Our hotel was 2 blocks away from the venue so we could go back and forth to cool off. Soooo, when we checked in and went to our hotel room we noticed two tour buses below us on the street and we thought hmm the band's or crew. At some point during the day I went back to the hotel to take back my umbrella and as I got to the inner hotel door to the lobby (you have to use ur key to enter) there were people just about to go in and one of them were one of the staff from the venue. Went thru the door with them turned to my right and there is Dave Keuning! I said hi Dave and that I was excited about the show and them playing a small venue. He looked shocked that I noticed him and so was I so I didn't ask for a pic and didn't have anything for him to sign. But that was so bizarre and cool. One thing I have always noticed about him is that he NEVER smiles even when I was talking to him.
So the venue split up the GA line into three lines alphabetically (A-G, H-N, and O-Z). Luckily I was the first in the O-Z line. We got in pretty quick and ended up center rail. And as time went I noticed that the tech for mark looked so familiar , I turned to my friend Julie and said that's Stuart Morgan! So I yelled Stuart how are ya and he smiled I asked how was Adam? And he said good. He was clearly happy that we noticed him. How could we not and to confirm he was wearing a 360 shirt. Ha. Pretty sure he recognized us from the many U2 shows we were at and on rail. After the show he gave us the set list. So cool.

Show as I said was great. Loved the new songs! Crowd was so into it. Lots of singing with the crowd taking over at times. I can't wait for the full tour so I can see them again! Btw it was so cool hearing old and songs from the last album. I haven't listened to them in a while and when songs like Somebody, spaceman and dust land fairytale. I had huge goosebumps!

I will post some pics later.

I went to see The Killers last night in Richmond, VA...INCREDIBLE show.

And here is something that blew my mind... we were waiting for them to come on and the techs showed up to do soundcheck/put down setlists/etc. I thought I noticed a familiar face...sure enough it was Adam's bass tech Stuart Morgan handling Mark Stoermer's equipment!! He was even wearing a U2 360 Crew shirt. And then he had to soundcheck a guitar so he picked it up and started playing the riff from Desire!! I have no idea what he was doing there, it definitely took me by surprise :ohmy:

Seriously? Pretty cool if that's the case!

My initial thoughts on Runaways is "meh", but Miss Atomic Bomb sounded like it had potential. We shall see.

trevgreg said:
Seriously? Pretty cool if that's the case!

My initial thoughts on Runaways is "meh", but Miss Atomic Bomb sounded like it had potential. We shall see.

I spoke with Stuart and he gave my friend the set list. I basically squealed when I saw him come out from behind the stage to start tuning the bass guitars. It was so damn cool.

When he sound checked Desire he got some screams from me and smiled at us.

Album cover
tumblr_m7qg78e54e1r4nt29o1_500.jpg

That album cover rules.

@U2Fanatic4ever:
thanks for the report. My sister somehow got tix for the Webster Hall show in NYC, her mind was also blown.

can't wait for this album.

Back
Top Bottom