The Killers - Battle Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, most of them had solo stuff in the times in between. So maybe rather than 'work ethic' per se, perhaps the concept of "band first" was a better description of what Wide Awake was aiming at (and Brandon, per his interviews).

And yeah, the clip sounds exciting. Bring on next Thursday.

Thought I would revive this with the following tidbit no doubt accidentally released today.

Fox Sports Australia announced they could confirm rumours of The Killers playing the AFL grand final on 30 September. They went on to claim that the grand final is 10 days after their next album will be released, while the lead single "The Man" will be released on 15 June.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think Wide Awake was trying to say that the band's work ethic wasn't up to par with Brandon's, instead of vice versa. Brandon seemed to hint in some interviews that both of his solo records would've probably been Killers records if the other's wanted to jump back into the "album/tour" mode right away, instead of doing their hiatus each time.

This. Brandon seems to want to put out an album every 3 months.

The various members certainly have love for their own work, but it has seemed, and been noted as a frustration by Flowers, that the others are not as eager to produce Killers work. Flowers has said he felt they missed out on truly launching from their early momentum.

I don't really care all that much...I like them and if they "launch" or not, become the biggest band in the world or not, I will continue to listen. But I really thought they were going to slay the world when I first heard them. Even their transition from Hot Fuss to Sam's Town reminded me of early U2 in their willingness to change styles mid-stream...I imagine some of their inability to fulfill my expectations from that perspective are the issues of the music industry as a whole.

For what it's worth, Battle Born was rated as the second best album of 2012 in a Rolling Stone Reader's poll...so I may have to withdraw my "underrated" comment. Not that such polls are necessarily indicative of quality.

What confounds me, though, is Brandon saying that it wasn't that great as a whole.

I think it's a consistently strong album and, in at least one way, a cousin to JT even.

I don't mind if they're not that prolific as of late. I just like hearing bands (that weren't around in the 80's) keeping the new wave flag flying...and doing so in outstanding fashion.

Metric, anyone?

Last edited:
I struggled to get into Battle Born - aside from Deadlines and Commitments I didn't really find the music enduring.

I'd take both of Flowers' albums over Battle Born.

The snippet is brief but encouraging. I'm hopeful we'll see a swing away from Battle Born, with power singles in the same vein as Human and Spaceman with a sonic twist in the Killers formula.

Giving Battle Born a spin for the first time in a couple years.

'Flesh and Bone' has all the right pieces to be a really good/epic song, it feels like they just didn't get it quite right.

'Here With Me' is my least favorite by far. Too mid-tempo. Stupid lyrics.

'A Matter of Time' is better than I remember.

Last edited:
The Man sounded pretty cool on first listen.

Killers have gone funk and Arcade Fire disco with their new singles.

I wonder if U2 have missed the boat with the Best Thing now. First Arcade Fire, now this - stylistically they will seem to be copying...

I like that. It's got a sense of humor, which is something we haven't *always* been able to say about the Killers.

Listening through properly and all I can think about is how much it sounds like Bowie's 'Fame' - nekminit - the sound drops and, and they come back in on "fame".

Live first listen updates... that depeche mode thing keeps coming and going but isn't as dominant as the beginning made it sound

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom