The Killers - Battle Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:/ I prefer when bands stuck together the whole way, but I suppose you can't stop someone from going after what they truly want.

I feel bad for Brandon Flowers.
He got stuck with some band mates who wont commit and don't seem to care. They've shot themselves in the foot and have become irrelevant. Used to be one of my favorite bands. This is just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps their refusal to consider the application for biggest band in the world after Day & Age is a preservation of their image.

I don't really understand what people want from this band. What is disappointing about their career? They've been incredibly prolific, constantly headline festivals, released four albums and a b-sides collection. what more do you want?

I don't really understand what people want from this band. What is disappointing about their career? They've been incredibly prolific, constantly headline festivals, released four albums and a b-sides collection. what more do you want?

Like Bob sort of alluded to, Brandon has said in some interviews that he's a bit more gung-ho about recording/touring/aiming for higher things with the band than some other members were (hence the solo releases he put out each time The Killers went on a significant break). That and the fact that Battle Born is their only post-2008 release and it's somewhat lukewarm reception, both creatively and from a publicity standpoint.

Thought I would revive this with the following tidbit no doubt accidentally released today.

Fox Sports Australia announced they could confirm rumours of The Killers playing the AFL grand final on 30 September. They went on to claim that the grand final is 10 days after their next album will be released, while the lead single "The Man" will be released on 15 June.

They were the band I thought would become the biggest band in the world, but they had a failure to launch. It seems like the rest of the band's urgency/work ethic is not quite equal to Brandon Flowers.

It was a thrill at the Vegas Vertigo tour show when he came out and matched Bono on "In a Little While", my favorite song on ATYCLB. They have a great setlist of songs live, but they maybe chased the hooks a little too much the last couple of albums...I appreciate chunky pop hooks as much as anyone, but you can do it much more subtle (Read My Mind) and it works better than hammer-to-head obvious (Runaways...still a good song, but nearly causes a tooth ache).

Crazy it's been almost 5 years since Battle Born. I'm interested to see what they do next

They were the band I thought would become the biggest band in the world, but they had a failure to launch. It seems like the rest of the band's urgency/work ethic is not quite equal to Brandon Flowers.

It was a thrill at the Vegas Vertigo tour show when he came out and matched Bono on "In a Little While", my favorite song on ATYCLB. They have a great setlist of songs live, but they maybe chased the hooks a little too much the last couple of albums...I appreciate chunky pop hooks as much as anyone, but you can do it much more subtle (Read My Mind) and it works better than hammer-to-head obvious (Runaways...still a good song, but nearly causes a tooth ache).

They keep headlining festivals so they must be doing something right :shrug:

Flowers has always had a soft spot for ATYCLB and In a Little While, which would probably make him a bad person in these parts. :D

I wasn't big on Battle Born myself, although there are a few good-to-very good songs that come out of it. Oddly, part of the reason I thought it tanked it a bit was that the hooks weren't there at all in a lot of songs. Even something like Carry Me Home, which was a bonus track, came off a lot better than some of the album tracks did. I'm a bit more optimistic about this upcoming album though after hearing The Desired Effect, which was as solid as an album you can find and was very full of the stereotypical Flowers writing style.

Can't buy an argument re Flowers having poor work ethic - they actually have a great model that allows them all to pursue other creative outlets as well. Flowers has two really strong solo records

Can't buy an argument re Flowers having poor work ethic - they actually have a great model that allows them all to pursue other creative outlets as well. Flowers has two really strong solo records

I think Wide Awake was trying to say that the band's work ethic wasn't up to par with Brandon's, instead of vice versa. Brandon seemed to hint in some interviews that both of his solo records would've probably been Killers records if the other's wanted to jump back into the "album/tour" mode right away, instead of doing their hiatus each time.

I think Wide Awake was trying to say that the band's work ethic wasn't up to par with Brandon's, instead of vice versa. Brandon seemed to hint in some interviews that both of his solo records would've probably been Killers records if the other's wanted to jump back into the "album/tour" mode right away, instead of doing their hiatus each time.

But they all made music with their own bands - they just weren't famous. Big Talk had an album in parallel with Brandon's last one.

Anyway - they've dropped a teaser:

Back
Top Bottom