The Jesus and Mary Chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Any fans out there? I've been listening to "Psychocandy" again lately.

Melon

They're fabulous. Actually, I just watched the video collection yesterday and was thinking of starting a thread. 'Darklands' is one of the best albums ever, hands down. I find way too many people get turned off by the feedback and don't listen to the actual songs, which is pretty sad. I've recently become obsessed with the song 'Some Candy Talking', actually.

:up: :applaud:

now we're talking music! SUPERB band and I have no idea why I only own Darklands and Automatic. :coocoo: a post-it note is getting written to checkout more of their material.

Funny, I've been considering getting their singles collection lately. Almost picked it up a week ago with HG, and almost picked it up today too. I think I'll have to check it out in the near future. :up:

I'm a huge JAMC fan. I've got their whole catalog. Too bad they broke up before I could see them live.

Most of their albums are out of print in the U.S. Thankfully, all the out of print ones are available as reasonably priced imports on Amazon.com.

Melon

melon said:
Thankfully, all the out of print ones are available as reasonably priced imports on Amazon.com.

Melon
Or used from Half.com and Amazon Marketplace. That's how I got most of mine.

They sorely need to re-release their albums in the US with some remastering done on the early ones and they could throw in the b-sides that were never included on their various b-sides albums.

They also need to do a DVD with all of the music videos that would be the companion piece to 21 Singles. And they could throw in a little live footage, too.

I know I can always get them from Amazon, but has anybody found anything by them in used record shops? I look every time I go to one and haven't had much luck -- is this regular or should I just give up and go to Amazon?

I usually see a couple of used JAMC CDs at my local CD exchange, but they don't seem to be all that plentiful, no.

fan present here.
darklands and automatic are historic albuns for me.
some actual acclaimed bands, like brmc, bands are just copy of them.

:lol:

DiGi, try Darklands. It's not as radically different from Stoned&Dethroned as Psychocandy is, and after that go onto Psychocandy, probably.

I'm so glad to see that there is some love for Stoned & Dethroned. That's probably my favorite JAMC album but most hardcore JAMC fans don't like it too well.

DiGi, another good album to start out with is Honey's Dead. I think that or Darklands would be perfect.

I picked up the '21 Singles' complilation a month or so ago, and thought it was "good" but not "great" on first listen. I didnt listen to it other than a song here and there since that first time through. I read an interesting article/interview about The Jesus and Mary Chain in the most recent issue of Filter magazine on Sunday and thought I'd give it another spin. FANTASTIC. It's funny how just a little more knowledge about a band can enhance the listening experience sometimes. Very cool CD, I'll have to keep my eyes out for copies of their albums (apparently that will be a little difficult according to this thread).

Can't believe this was the most recent thread I could find for these guys. I bought the majority of their albums in the few months after my last post in this thread.

For the last 3 years, I seem to listen to 'April Skies', and the Darklands album in general, a ton during April. Great song, great album.

So what are your favorite JAMC songs and/or albums?

I'm a HUGE fan of these guys. Saw them a couple times on the Honey's Dead tour, and again for Stoned & Dethroned. I was pretty into them, and have some Japanese import of b-sides somewhere, along with a handful of CD singles.

It's funny that there's some love going on about for S&D, and it's true that a lot of old school JAMC fans don't care for it. I think it's great because it shows that the Reid Bros. are amazing songwriters and don't need their trademark noise and distortion to make good music. That album is such a pleasurable listen and it's probably the one I listen to the most out of all of them.

I was always a huge Automatic fan, even if it sounds a bit dated now, and the sounds aren't as cutting edge as Honey's Dead was for its time. Some very catchy tunes on there like Here Comes Alice, Coast to Coast, Between Planets, and of course the hit single Head On. I respect the breakthrough of Psychocandy but I prefer the sophistication of the later albums. Munki is another underrated one that has some great songs.

They played some reunion shows last year so hopefully they will record again at some point.

I'm a big Automatic fan too, Laz. 'Half Way To Crazy' is one of my favorite JAMC tunes. That whole album is extremely solid, despite the old school drum machines.

All you need is Psychocandy and singles comp., but those two records will be fucking brilliant and more than worth your money. I think that their other records are shit, but I know that I'm in the minority, regarding a few of them. Their great songs absolutely slay, regardless of how I feel about their individual LPs.

so now i'm resurrecting this thread. i suppose mofo is just going to tell me to shut up again...oh well. i think i tried to get into their stuff when melon started this thread a few years ago, but it never really happened. i really liked "darklands" and one other song, but don't really recall where or when i came up with some shittily-recorded concert bootleg from 1987 (i probably never listened to it,either). recently, all this chatter about glasvegas owing much of their sound to the jesus and mary chain got me interested again. i haven't felt the need to take the singles compilation out of my car cd player for a couple weeks now. there isn't anything on there that isn't absolutely awesome. now, i apparently need to embark on an internet-buying search to acquire the rest...next paycheck.

i haven't felt the need to take the singles compilation out of my car cd player for a couple weeks now. there isn't anything on there that isn't absolutely awesome. now, i apparently need to embark on an internet-buying search to acquire the rest...next paycheck.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me when I purchased 21 Singles. :up:

I will listen to April Skies right now in honor if this achievement.

By the way, shut up, IWB.

Back
Top Bottom