The Jesus and Mary Chain - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:35 PM
i really love stoned and dethroned but for some reason its the only album of theirs that i own. stupid i know. what should i sample next?

Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 PM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

They picked up where your precious Echo left off.

Join Amnesty.
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 04:35 PM

DiGi, try Darklands. It's not as radically different from Stoned&Dethroned as Psychocandy is, and after that go onto Psychocandy, probably.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #19
New Yorker

thanks
Old 01-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 03:35 PM
I'm so glad to see that there is some love for Stoned & Dethroned. That's probably my favorite JAMC album but most hardcore JAMC fans don't like it too well.

DiGi, another good album to start out with is Honey's Dead. I think that or Darklands would be perfect.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #21
Blue Meth Addict

I picked up the '21 Singles' complilation a month or so ago, and thought it was "good" but not "great" on first listen. I didnt listen to it other than a song here and there since that first time through. I read an interesting article/interview about The Jesus and Mary Chain in the most recent issue of Filter magazine on Sunday and thought I'd give it another spin. FANTASTIC. It's funny how just a little more knowledge about a band can enhance the listening experience sometimes. Very cool CD, I'll have to keep my eyes out for copies of their albums (apparently that will be a little difficult according to this thread).
Old 04-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

Can't believe this was the most recent thread I could find for these guys. I bought the majority of their albums in the few months after my last post in this thread.

For the last 3 years, I seem to listen to 'April Skies', and the Darklands album in general, a ton during April. Great song, great album.

So what are your favorite JAMC songs and/or albums?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:35 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of these guys. Saw them a couple times on the Honey's Dead tour, and again for Stoned & Dethroned. I was pretty into them, and have some Japanese import of b-sides somewhere, along with a handful of CD singles.

It's funny that there's some love going on about for S&D, and it's true that a lot of old school JAMC fans don't care for it. I think it's great because it shows that the Reid Bros. are amazing songwriters and don't need their trademark noise and distortion to make good music. That album is such a pleasurable listen and it's probably the one I listen to the most out of all of them.

I was always a huge Automatic fan, even if it sounds a bit dated now, and the sounds aren't as cutting edge as Honey's Dead was for its time. Some very catchy tunes on there like Here Comes Alice, Coast to Coast, Between Planets, and of course the hit single Head On. I respect the breakthrough of Psychocandy but I prefer the sophistication of the later albums. Munki is another underrated one that has some great songs.

They played some reunion shows last year so hopefully they will record again at some point.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #24
Blue Meth Addict

I'm a big Automatic fan too, Laz. 'Half Way To Crazy' is one of my favorite JAMC tunes. That whole album is extremely solid, despite the old school drum machines.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

All you need is Psychocandy and singles comp., but those two records will be fucking brilliant and more than worth your money. I think that their other records are shit, but I know that I'm in the minority, regarding a few of them. Their great songs absolutely slay, regardless of how I feel about their individual LPs.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

so now i'm resurrecting this thread. i suppose mofo is just going to tell me to shut up again...oh well. i think i tried to get into their stuff when melon started this thread a few years ago, but it never really happened. i really liked "darklands" and one other song, but don't really recall where or when i came up with some shittily-recorded concert bootleg from 1987 (i probably never listened to it,either). recently, all this chatter about glasvegas owing much of their sound to the jesus and mary chain got me interested again. i haven't felt the need to take the singles compilation out of my car cd player for a couple weeks now. there isn't anything on there that isn't absolutely awesome. now, i apparently need to embark on an internet-buying search to acquire the rest...next paycheck.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
i haven't felt the need to take the singles compilation out of my car cd player for a couple weeks now. there isn't anything on there that isn't absolutely awesome. now, i apparently need to embark on an internet-buying search to acquire the rest...next paycheck.
That's pretty much exactly what happened to me when I purchased 21 Singles.

I will listen to April Skies right now in honor if this achievement.

By the way, shut up, IWB.

Tags
the jesus and mary chain