The Jazz - discussion, recommendations, shit, cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what else? I passed my weightloss goal yesterday, which means I am to buy myself a saxophone soon. I haven't played in about 4 or 5 years. I miss it so much, and I'll be very happy to have one in my life again. I'm not sure if I'm going to just replace my Alto or purchase a Tenor. I can do more with the latter, but I'm used to playing in the key of the former, and picking it up all over again and learning something new sound lame. Though maybe it's the best time to do it, since I'll be relearning as is.

Either way, the purchase is a little ways away, still, because I'm still kinda in flux with my job, but hopefully will be moving up in the ranks sooner rather than later.

That's pretty great - I had no idea you played sax. Probably my second favorite instrument after piano. That Bb key for the tenor is so useful for jazz. I'd think that at least a third of the standards in my Real Book are in that key.

Yeah, and the tenor has such a gorgeous tone, not to mention the fact that it can play a wider range than the alto. I think if I'm going to go in on this, it would be a disservice NOT to get a tenor, despite my comfort level with the alto.

I played alto a little in middle school before switching to flute. I hated the flute, and I'm surprised I even stayed in band after they wouldn't let me switch back to alto. When I got to high school, I was able to pick sax back up for marching band, and in concert band I switched to bassoon, and eventually I played Alto/Bari in Jazz band. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but, like with studying Japanese as an adult, I'm beginning to learn that I had zero discipline for study in high school, despite being a very good student. My problem was I was stretched too far between so many bands and a part time job, that I just didn't want to do anything else when I got home. By the time I got to college, I was strictly playing alto in marching band alone, and halfway through that, I quit band altogether because I started working on the football broadcasts and obviously couldn't do both. So, when I moved back home and I needed to sell a few things to get back on my feet, the flute and saxophone were among the first things to go :(.

But, I digress. :lol:.

Almost done with the first disc of The Epic. This is a very solid threat to Kendrick for my #1 spot of the year.

Finished with disc one, taking a quick break. That was breathtaking. If that was a standalone album, it might be my favorite jazz record ever. As it is, we'll see if it can hold up for another hour and half, or however much time is left.

Quick and dirty:

1. Askim
2. Change of the Guard
3. The Rhythm Changes (that vocal was marvelous. Song sounded timeless)
4. Final Thought
5. Isabelle
6 The Next Step

Or something like that. Album is sitting at a solid 5/5 right now.

Have I mentioned I like it?

So I just got back from seeing Kamasi Washington play a free 2 hour show.

http://www.grandperformances.org/rhythm-changes

It was a literal mashup of jazz classics by Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy and others, combined with covers of west coast hip hop artists like Snoop, Ice Cube, The Pharcyde, Cypress Hill, etc. The MCs they brought out weren't anyone I recognized, but they did a good job of approximating the sound of the originals for a new context.

Between songs, the woman that sings lead on The Rhythm Changes (which they closed with) would walk out and do some spoken word to illustrate the history of African American struggle and police brutality throughout the late 20th century. Rodney King's death was brought in as a cornerstone moment that tied in hip hop culture with the civil unrest that inspired so much great jazz music. It made for a really engaging narrative.

Musically, it was astounding. I can't say enough about the instrumental talent involved in this band. But what really hooked me was how remarkably similar it was in many was to Kendrick's latest work. In fact, this gig sounded more like To Pimp a Butterfly than the Kendrick gig I went to last month. The intro to one song was a dead ringer for the ominous transition between Hood Politics and How Much a Dollar Cost. It was like hearing the album being created right in front of you, its influences crashing into each other in a sublime way.

Did I mention that Thundercat was on bass?

And that it was almost as long as the U2 shows I saw?

And that it was free?

Great night.

Last edited:
I want to kill you alone for mentioning the bit that sounded like that godly hoodpol-hmadc transition. He's touring later this year but as part of a festival, dunno if there'll be sideshows.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I still haven't finished The Epic, work got in the way, but I'm in the office basically alone all day tomorrow, so I'll finish it then.

I can't say enough about how much Washington has done to bring me back to a time and place I've desperately missed. With Whiplash last year, and now this, my desire to start playing music again has grown to a fever pitch.

And this show was just beautiful. I can't say anything more than what Travis already did, except to mention how much the song "Ooh Child" has come to mean to me in the last 12 months.

Also, if I understood correctly, The Pharcyde were actually there performing their song themselves.

I have finished The Epic.

Phhheeewwwwwww.

It's tough to say whether it's my favorite album of the year, because it's SO LONG I know I'll likely never sit down and listen to the whole thing in full again. But, on the other hand, I didn't successfully listen to it in one sitting the first time and I still loved it.

Each disc is absolutely a solid album in its own right, but I would tip my hat first to Disc 1, closely followed by Disc 3. Disc 2 is a little looser and sillier, I feel, than the other two, so that detracted just a tad.

I listened to disc 1 and 2 of The Epic yesterday. I enjoyed it but as always with jazz, I really can't rate it. I think I just need to listen to more jazz, to have some more context.

I spent the last two days at a jazz festival. I saw a few good acts but the highlight was Darcy James Argue with the Brussels Jazz Orchestra. I always thought big band music was super cheesy but Argue's compositions completely changed my opinion. It was fantastic. The highlight was a tribute to Duke Ellington. Now I only need to find a recording of that piece.

For anyone wanting some new jazz to listen to, there have been some great releases lately. First, there's this really great polish band called Niechec that pairs some really nasty sax playing with muscular drum work. They've got a pretty cool, heavy sound.

Their new album is free on their bandcamp:

Niechęć

Second, Xiu Xiu's tribute to Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks soundtrack(s) was released as a Record Store Day exclusive but is available on youtube for the time being:

Finally, Fire! has a new album out called She Sleeps, She Sleeps and it's as dark, creepy and atmospheric as their best work. Their last few releases were under the Fire! Orchestra moniker and really slayed. Here's a track from the new one:

Last edited:
Yeah. I've owned it for ages but never got around to listening to it.

This is certainly his masterpiece, but if you've enjoyed it, make sure to check Giant Steps, Blue Train and My Favorite Things. That 1957-1961 period for him is just amazing.

Perhaps my favorite Coltrane song:

Giant Steps and Blue Train are both masterpieces. Some of his later work is impenetrable but brilliant all the same.

There's an entire vocal jazz genre. Johnny Hartman, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, etc.

I'll add Louis Armstrog, Ella Fitzgerald (my favorite, because of her scat singing prowess) and Chet Baker to the list.

Last edited:
I'll add Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald (my favorite, because of her scat singing prowess) and Chet Baker to the list.
Chet Baker was unique and I LOVE all the Ella Fitzgerald / Charlie Parker collaborations.

Side note: John Coltrane IMO was in a class of his own though.
He makes just about everything else sound bland and unnecessary in comparison.
True genius.

Chet Baker's Let's Get Lost is one of my favs.

Chet Baker was unique and I LOVE all the Ella Fitzgerald / Charlie Parker collaborations.

Agree with both of you. Chet Baker was so good that I'm not even sure if I prefer him as a singer or trumpetist.

His version of But Not For Me is a good example. The initial solo is brilliant in its simplicity, then you get those soothing, but emotionally charged vocals, followed by a more complex and detailed solo.

A Love Supreme is unquestionably a masterpiece and an inspirational work, but I prefer the early stuff. My Favorite Things, Giant Steps, Blue Train and Olé Coltrane (the underrated spiritual successor to Sketches of Spain) are the ones I listen to the most.

Don't overlook the work of Alice Coltrane either. Journey in Satchidananda is a milestone in avant-garde jazz.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the work of Alice Coltrane either. Journey in Satchidananda is a milestone in avant-garde jazz.

:up:

Speaking of Coltranes, Ravi plays on an excellent new album with Jack DeJohnette and Matt Garrison called In Movement.

Back
Top Bottom