The Interferencer Cover Song Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jive Turkey

ONE love, blood, life
We talked about starting a thread like this, so I figured I'd go ahead and do it. If you play guitar, piano, violin, trumpet, spoons, skinflute, etc and have recorded yourself doing a cover of a song, post it here for all to hear. It can be a youtube link or embedded audio ala LemonMelon (who better contribute) Dont worry if it doesnt sound the best, nobody will be mean. We are all an encouraging bunch. But no original songs because they probably suck

I'm not going to go first because then I look like a douche bag. I nominate Pfan

I play guitar, and often will work out little basic covers.

My repertoire consists of about 4 or 5 Pearl Jam songs, every Taylor Swift song, some Beatles tunes, a Neil Young song, Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance."

If I were to actually put a cover out publicly to this thread (which I'm not going to do), it would be Bad Romance.

1. I'm scared
2. I don't have the technology to do it
3. My Bad Romance cover is the titties, so I actually may have to do it

if you have a mic on your computer, you can do it. Thats how I record everything

do it

GAF, I hope you do it. Easy for me to say, as I am not at all musical and so have nothing to contribute....but, in all seriousness, I'd love to hear anything you guys post....that is if JT sacks up and elects to actually post something.

And you wonder why Colin Covert hates your kind.

Very nice, LM :up:

I'll figure out how to upload audio to youtube and post one so NSW will stop hurting my feelings

Good shit, LeMel. I remember really liking your cover of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, too.

if you have a mic on your computer, you can do it. Thats how I record everything

do it

I'm a fool. And don't know shit about computers.

I have a 6 or 7 year old Dell desktop computer, and I have no idea if it has a mic or not. Where would I go about looking for it? Help me, Turkey-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

if it's a 7 year old desktop, I would assume it doesn't have one built in. Most laptops have them these days

Maybe you could record something onto a floppy disk and courier it to us?

Hmmm. Intriguing. Thanks. I very well might buy that.

I would still have lots of questions.

1. Where do I plug it in?
2. How does it work?
3. How, then, would I go about recording something?
4. How would I turn that recording into a file so that I can put it in the thread?

1. Since it's listed as a USB mic, I'm going to assume it just fits into whatever USB ports are available on your computer. My shitty Gateway (complete with Windows '98 and Dig Dug, fun times) came with a microphone that fit into the designated microphone jack on the back of the computer (all laptops that I've come across also have a microphone slot), but this one is a little bit snazzier, I suspect.

2. Same as the speakers. Plug it in, find the microphone settings on your PC and crank that shit up.

3a. Download Audacity; it's absolutely free and has everything you need.

3b. Click the red "record" button and say "Taylor Swift is my bff" or whatever it is you say when you check a microphone. The waveform will spike if it's plugged in correctly. From there, do your thing and click record once more when you're finished.

4a. To export the finished file in MP3 format, download LAME encoder; when it asks you for the file, you just click the one in the folder with .dll at the end, and it'll export it for you.

4b. Once you have the file on hand, create an account at divshare and upload your file there. Simply paste the link they give you into a post here and we'll be able to either hear the track without downloading or, if it's a keeper, we can download it.

Hope that helps. Definitely want to hear anything you can contribute, GAF. :)

Once my thumb re-grows itself (adventures in cooking with sharp blades!) I'll try and contribute something here. Limited repertoire, but I could probably toss a little Dylan, Beatles or Paul Simon in there, or U2.

Look forward to seeing some other contributions in here. :)

Maybe it's time I started practicing that piano again. :shifty:

Otherwise you'll just get me doing karaoke. :wink:

Thanks, guys. :)

Alicia, you do realize this is the perfect venue to show off your karaoke skillz, yes? Just a hint.

EDIT: alright, so you do. Don't let us down.

There are videos floating around of the stuff I've sung at those work concerts, but the quality is pretty crummy. I was just singing backup at the last one - those were a bit clearer. Oh well. Plan B.

The built-in mic on my computer is, so far, incredibly ineffective and basically makes everything inaudible. It's either way too quiet or way too loud, and it lacks the ability to pick up middling sound.

:hmm: to be serious and cover "I'm on Fire" (the only thing I can play on guitar), or to subject you all to my AWESOME cover of "Comfortably Numb" :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom