The Interference Yuletide Playlist Exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Christmas...it's a wonderful time, ain't it? The company of your loved ones, pretty strings of lights, and generally warm feelings. In Western culture, the Christmas season has always been about the spirit of mass-consumption, putting your life on the line for a new doodad of some kind, and, to a lesser extent, giving. Yes, good times indeed.

In my never-ending quest to discover the next great B&C time-waster, I came up with this idea...several months ago. Mostly because it utilizes the playlist format of Desert Island, and sometimes I have lists left over that I wish to use for other purposes, and then this came to mind. Essentially, my idea is this: combine playlist-making with the classic Secret Santa format.

Now, doing an internet-based Secret Santa using traditional gifts would be a pain in the ass. Obviously, the cost of shipping is really fucking outrageous, and sharing your address with some creep you don't know on interference? Yeah, not cool. So, instead of all that, you are going to make a playlist. And it is indeed going to be just any ordinary playlist. There are no restrictions but one: keep it to 80 minutes or less. Otherwise, you're free to do as you please. It can be of any genre, it doesn't have to be officially released, hell, it can be your own music.

A few points of note:

• Only enter if you are capable of uploading music for someone else. Links will be required.
  • Only enter if you can make a list between now and the deadline. I don't want you backing out at the last minute, because that will fuck everything up.
  • Keep in mind that the list you make is for someone else. You can cater it to their taste, you can introduce them to new music, or, if you don't know them, just make it for yourself and hope that they dig it as well so you can have something in common.
  • No copy-protected files, please

Your secret Santas will be chosen by me through the age-old method of picking names out of a hat. Literally, a hat. If you don't like who you received, too fucking bad, champ. There are more important things to bitch at me about.

I am accepting 20 individuals (19, actually, as I intend to participate). I will be accepting these individuals between now and next Friday (December 5). If someone drops out, you may be used as an alternate, so throw your hat in the ring regardless of how many have signed up. You will be notified of the one you are to make the list for on the 5th, and you will be expected to send your list to whomever you received by the 22nd. This gives you nearly three weeks to put together an 80 minute playlist (though you can send your lists early, of course, it's expected by that date). It doesn't have to flow, it doesn't have to be of any genre, you don't even have to put any thought into it. It would be great if you did, but I ultimately have no control over your playlists.

This good with everyone? If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you're interested in signing up, make yourself known.

sure, i'm in. :) apologies in advance to whoever gets my playlist. i remember when we did this years ago, but with real cds. i still have those floating around.

Hey, I want some really off-the-wall lists in the mix, honestly. It'll keep things interesting, and this is, ultimately, about sharing new music, so that's great.

And yes, I know what you're thinking: I will know who my Secret Santa is, which is a flaw, but I'll make up for it by putting actual effort into whatever list I make, so that balances things out. ;)

Hey, I want some really off-the-wall lists in the mix, honestly. It'll keep things interesting, and this is, ultimately, about sharing new music, so that's great.

And yes, I know what you're thinking: I will know who my Secret Santa is, which is a flaw, but I'll make up for it by putting actual effort into whatever list I make, so that balances things out. ;)
it'll probably end up being retro island part two, so the best part is whoever i get will know it's me. plus i tag all my files so that'll be kinda obvious. but that's cool. i hope i get axver :drool:

and this is true. btw, are we to send our lists directly to them, or to you? not sure the latter would keep it anonymous but i don't care either way.

it'll probably end up being retro island part two, so the best part is whoever i get will know it's me. plus i tag all my files so that'll be kinda obvious. but that's cool. i hope i get axver :drool:

and this is true. btw, are we to send our lists directly to them, or to you? not sure the latter would keep it anonymous but i don't care either way.

No, I want you guys to send your playlists to them yourselves. Otherwise, I'll get too involved. Plus, when you receive that PM from your secret Santa, it'll be a priceless moment.

Seriously, guys, piss me off and you'll get half of the Larry Mullen DI list:

larrydesertislandlistbs4.jpg

You'd better not pout, cry, etc.

I want Ax too, Katie. I'm gonna send him 80 minutes of ambient improv to piss him off.

I get the impression that I'm in on this regardless of whether or not I want to be. Well then, sign me up, Traviud.

I pity whoever receives my list. It may or may not be A Blackened Atmospheric Post-Doom Christmas: The Santa Of Man Has Failed.

THE LIST
1. LemonMelon
2. KhanadaRhodes
3. liamcool
4. Axver
5. bono_212 (saving her a spot, as she expressed interest in a PM)

Through me in, i'm an expert at making playlists for specific people...nobody has been disappointed yet...which doesn't really explain why I always go out early in the desert island comps but hey, maybe i'm just a too individualistic kinda guy:wink:

You can add the PFan to the mix, and I'm guessing YLB will want a piece of this action.

the more awful pop the better I say...there better be some Girls Aloud on there:angry:

(minor disclaimer: I do not consider Girls Aloud awful)

Ha! Well, to be fair, I meant the other participants didn't have to worry about getting my mix and being forced to sit through Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton. ;)

Girls Aloud is good pop. Hell, it's awesome pop!

Should there be something in place so that people aren't giving others something they already have? Something like, each person (before the selection of the matches) posts some examples of bands they already have plenty of, or some bands/genres they're lacking in and might want to explore? That way, the lists can be made a little more focused.

That's not a bad idea, but what if I get someone's name, and the things they want, I don't have? If someone says they want to explore prog rock, they're out of luck if I get their name.

A lot of people have very similar taste on here anyway...it's goin to be a bit difficult for everyone to introduce someone to a new genre say, as we would tend to have a very similar selection of music.

Back
Top Bottom