The INTERFERENCE 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMP

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Well, folks...I've had this idea a few weeks ago....but I was waiting until the end of the year to post it.
The idea is pretty clear: let's see which albuns are considered the "greatest" by Interference members!

I know, 500 is a whole lot of albuns, but to make sure this list will work, here are the rules:

-Make a list of 100 albuns you consider the greatest (Yes, I know it's a lot, but it's necessary for the list to work.)
-You can post it here, PM me or e-mail me: veio91vzc@gmail.com
-Each album will receive a score, based on its position in your lists: An album that is placed first in a list will score 100 points, a second place will score 99 points and so it goes. Don't worry, I'll do the math. And with a decent number of people posting here, a tie is something that probably won't happen. But if it happens, I'll see which of the tied albuns appears in most lists.
-You won't be able to post albuns that were released after December 31, 2008 in your lists.
-You can't make corrections in your lists way after you post it.
-You'll be able to make me your lists until March 31, 2009.

I'll be posting here the definitive list on April 2, 2009.

I hope y'all liked the idea and please make your lists, cause I think this will be cool. I love lists and if you do too, I hope you help me here. :wink:
By the way, I'll be posting my own list here soon, but I wanted to start the thread asap, so it's not here right now.
If somthing is not clear, please ask :up: (my english sucks, sorry.)

And that's all, folks! :wave:

What the hell is an albun?

Nickname for Al Bundy?

polkhigh_i.jpg

I'd be surprised if we even manage to get points for 500 different albums, let alone enough points for each to separate them apart.

I love the idea but we have to wait until April for the results?

I'd be surprised if we even manage to get points for 500 different albums, let alone enough points for each to separate them apart.

People will be posting here until March 31, so it's just in April 2 that I'll be able to post the results.

And with that amount of time I think it's possible. C'mon, if you don't like the idea, just don't post here. But let's have some fun, ok? :wink: :D
And 500 is a whole lot better than 100. :wink:

I have a top 50 lying around somewhere. I'm sure I could tack another 50 onto it.

Have fun tabulating the results. That's all I have to say. Putting together the top 100 was difficult enough, but 500? Good Lord.

I have a top 50 lying around somewhere. I'm sure I could tack another 50 onto it.

Have fun tabulating the results. That's all I have to say. Putting together the top 100 was difficult enough, but 500? Good Lord.

Hehe, don't worry....I'm on vacation and I like math. :huh:
It's all under control :wink:
Don't be shy folks! Give me your lists please! :D

:up: I'm in. I realize we just did it but this is on an even larger scale. And besides, my Top 50 has already changed a bit. :lol: And it's always fun making lists! :)

So what if it was just done? There were some people who discovered it too late and expressed that they wished they had participated, if I recall correctly. :hmm: Also, the OP is giving us time till March, so maybe there will be more new people interested.

One other question: why can first quarter albums from this year not be counted? I see numerous releases coming up I'd want to include in my list.

One other question: why can first quarter albums from this year not be counted? I see numerous releases coming up I'd want to include in my list.

I know, there's releases I might like to include in my list too. But this is to make sure that no one will want to correct lists that they posted before "some album that now I want to include is released"
And because an album released in March 15, for example, would be in disadvantage to another album released in January or February.

I'm not trying to speak for the OP but my understanding of this rule is that it tries to ensure that new album hysteria doesn't factor into an all-time list. When REM's Accelerate came out, I was crazy about it and considered it album of the year. But in a couple of months, I was able to review it more fairly and realized that it's good but there are better albums.

^Like what I said, but way better explained. Thanks :up: :D

^But then people that posted their lists in January would want to correct their lists to add albuns released in Mar/Feb and then until I correct every list we would be ending April, and this thread would go on forever or die cause the definitive list would never get done.
And even if I allow people to do it like you're saying, you'd just be losing spots in your list, cause albuns released in March probably wouldn't have enough points to even make the definitive list.
I'm trying to make things easier or this thread will become a mess. And threads that become a mess are no good. ;)

On the fly:

1. Starflyer 59: Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice
2. The Beatles: Abbey Road
3. Gosling: Here Is…
4. U2: The Joshua Tree
5. George Harrison: All Things Must Pass
6. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
7. Oasis: What’s The Story Morning Glory
8. Radiohead: OK Computer
9. The Who: Who’s Next
10. Cut Copy: In Ghost Colours
11. Loudermilk: The Red Record
12. Led Zeppelin: IV
13. The Beatles: The White Album
14. Arctic Monkeys: Favourite Worst Nightmare
15. Starflyer 59: Old
16. Paul McCartney: Ram
17. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Baby 81
18. Ours: Distorted Lullabies
19. The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin
20. Weezer: The Blue Album
21. Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
22. Mute Math: Mute Math
23. Fine China: The Jaws of Life
24. The Killers: Sam’s Town
25. Coldplay: Viva la Vida
26. The Junipers: Cut Your Key
27. U2: The Unforgettable Fire
28. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Howl
29. Starflyer 59: Leave Here A Stranger
30. The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
31. Radiohead: Kid A
32. The Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed
33. The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie
34. The White Stripes: Elephant
35. Weezer: Pinkerton
36. Pearl Jam: Ten
37. Led Zeppelin: II
38. Creedence Clearwater Revival: Cosmo’s Factory
39. Starflyer 59: Dial M
40. Foxglove Hunt: Stop Heartbeat
41. John Lennon: Mind Games
42. Harvey Danger: Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?
43. The Cure: Disintegration
44. Vendetta Red: Sisters of the Red Death
45. Ours: Mercy
46. U2: War
47. Stereophonics: Language Sex Violence Other
48. Oasis: Dig Out Your Soul
49. Pearl Jam: Binaural
50. The Strokes: First Impressions of Earth
51. The Killers: Hot Fuss
52. My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade
53. The Beatles: Let It Be
54. Radiohead: The Bends
55. Pearl Jam: Vs
56. U2: October
57. The White Stripes: White Blood Cells
58. John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band
59. Paul McCartney/Wings: Band on the Run
60. Starflyer 59: My Island
61. Death Cab For Cutie: The Photo Album
62. Oasis: Definitely Maybe
63. The Beatles: Revolver
64. The Last Shadow Puppets: The Age of the Understatement
65. Muse: Absolution
66. Coldplay: A Rush of Blood to the Head
67. Editors: The Back Room
68. The Fire Theft: The Fire Theft
69. U2: Boy
70. Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy
71. Fine China: You Make Me Hate Music
72. George Harrison: Living in the Material World
73. John Lennon: Imagine
74. Oasis: Don’t Believe the Truth
75. Locksley: Don’t Make Me Wait
76. Spoon: Kill The Moonlight
77. The Strokes: Is This It?
78. The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band
79. Sparta: Threes
80. Sunny Day Real Estate: How It Feels To Be Something On
81. Muse: Origin of Symmetry
82. The Cure: Wish
83. The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
84. Hard-Fi: Stars of CCTV
85. U2: Achtung Baby
86. Luna Halo: Luna Halo
87. Pedro the Lion: Control
88. The Beatles: Rubber Soul
89. Starflyer 59: Everybody Makes Mistakes
90. Creedence Clearwater Revival: Willy and the Poor Boys
91. Brothers Martin: Brother Martin
92. The Cinematics: A Strange Education
93. Oasis: Be Here Now
94. M83: Saturdays=Youth
95. OK Go: Oh No
96. Travis: The Man Who
97. MGMT: Oracular Spectacular
98. The Who: Quadrophenia
99. Weezer: Make Believe
100. Minus the Bear: Planet of Ice

I guess I'm in, probably won't give a list for a couple of months though

I wonder if this will be different at all from the top 100...

So, basically, it's exactly the same as this:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ime-sign-up-and-discussion-thread-190584.html

Except on a larger scale?

Ah, you forgot the best threads, the results threads!
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...albums-of-all-time-results-thread-191025.html
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...time-listmania-top-100-individual-191030.html

:D

So anyway, I'm not doing this again. Just did it, don't feel the need to do it again a few weeks later. Please come back in a year or two. :)

Back
Top Bottom