The Horrors ~ Primary Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing band, this album is everything I hoped it could be despite an incredible amount of personal expectation. Whilst it may not reach the heights of Primary Colour's best moments, it its consistently excellent.

They really do have the potential for a splendid career ahead.

Because of the three decades of music on which it draws, to which it makes reference, and of which its title suggests it is representative. Brazen, but awesome.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but they're definitely assholes and have proven that that sort of absurd bombast is anything but below them.

I never said what I thought of the album? :huh:.

Well, maybe that was for the best, because after the first listen, I wasn't exactly enthused.

FINALLY, finally got around to hearing it again, and I've just had a complete 180, for sure. This album is superbly atmospheric, and hardly has a bad song on it. I'm not huge on "Monica Gems", but that's probably got everything to do with the fact that it follows the incredibly awesome "Moving Further Away".

Ah, I love this band.

I never said what I thought of the album? :huh:.

Well, maybe that was for the best, because after the first listen, I wasn't exactly enthused.

FINALLY, finally got around to hearing it again, and I've just had a complete 180, for sure. This album is superbly atmospheric, and hardly has a bad song on it. I'm not huge on "Monica Gems", but that's probably got everything to do with the fact that it follows the incredibly awesome "Moving Further Away".

Ah, I love this band.

I am going to take partial credit for this enthusiasm. :wink:

:lol:, go on :D.

"Changing the Rain", "I Can See Through You", "Endless Blue", "Still Life", "Moving Further Away"...holy shit.

Skying is definitely one of my favourites of the year so far. At first I had to get used to the synths but now I love every single track. Endless Blue especially.
Is their earlier stuff comparable with this album?

Is their earlier stuff comparable with this album?

No, definitely not. They have changed drastically on each album. The debut, Strange House, was a frenetic, hard-charging, punkish sort of album. Primary Colours was then a multi-layered, hazy, almost hallucinogenic album. Now Skying is melodic and polished. They all sound very different.

Just started listening to the new album a couple days ago (haven't listened to any previous). My first impression is that it's catchy with a great retro vibe, but the lyrics are horrendous and occasionally threaten to ruin the songs

I need to check out the new one - I heard a song from it on KEXP the other day, thinking "this is good" and made a point to listen until the DJ came back on, and sure enough it was a new Horrors song.

Really like their first album. Had been hearing a song or two in the pre-show music in the 2009 U2 shows, didn't realize it was them. In Vancouver, was talking with my two friends, and they were talking about how much they loved The Horrors, etc etc, and I said "Oh, I don't think I know them," and then two minutes later they were all "zomg they're playing The Horrors right now!"

I'd been thinking it was TV on the Radio. :reject:

I almost bought it earlier today. I didn't like their last album even 1/3 as much as many others here seemed to though, so I'm still a bit on the fence. Maybe I'll have to put Spotify to work.

Yeah, and if you can't recognize the song, sometimes they just blur together over the PA, so that's why I just thought they were playing a lot from Dear Science.

Hearing that you heard The Horrors on the radio makes me super happy, Cori :).

It does sound interesting. I'll check Primary Colors out first.

Primary Colours quickly became one of my favorite albums of all time, so, of course, I hope you like it, but yeah, don't expect Skying...at all.

Some dude I know, who's obsessed with cameras and pictures, posted a song from the new album on Facebook, and I like it a great deal. Sorta reminds me of Echo AND the Bunnymen. I may have to pick this up some time soon.

u2popmofo said:
Some dude I know, who's obsessed with cameras and pictures, posted a song from the new album on Facebook, and I like it a great deal. Sorta reminds me of Echo AND the Bunnymen. I may have to pick this up some time soon.

Sounds like a cool and handsome fella

If Jive hadn't just responded to that, I never would have understood the reference.

I heard Still Life on Rage, an Oz music show. I was very impressed and because of that I will likely give the album (and the previous) a listen sometime soon. Great song.

After listening to this album for the second time, I have no choice but to give it a personal rating of STRONG!11!!11!

"Primary Colours" got better with every new listen, while I seem to like "Skying" a little less.

However, have to say that "Monica Gems" is AWESOME! :cabbagepatch:

That's why threads for smaller bands shouldn't have album titles as title.

Excited for this.

Great news. I'm definitely anxious to see where the band goes next.

Oh, and Still Life is one of the best songs of the last few years.

I like to keep things nice and orderly when I start threads. It just comes back to haunt me eventually. Then I'm always torn between bumping the old thread and starting a new one.

Back
Top Bottom