The Hold Steady: STAY POSITIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighttttt, that is some news worth celebrating!!!

Thanks for the heads up, If you shout...

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I agree this is more than likely to be one of the top albums of 2008. Can't wait to spend some time with it. The initial listen might have to involve a few cold beverages...

Just remember to buy a copy, when it drops. That's the most important part of the whole try before you buy thing we've got going, on the ol' internetz--you have to buy, in order to complete the circle...! Woo woo!!!

Based on the lack of posts in this here thread I'm not sure how many of you care about this...but the album is now officially streaming on the band's MySpace.

I'm pumped. I will listen at some point tonight and return with my thoughts!!!

I'd do one of the last 2 first, Boys and Girls in America or Separation Sunday.

U2popmofo, I'm still planning on giving this a try, despite my failed attempts to like them. Again, this is mostly driven by yours and GAF's passion for the band. How's that for respect, spanky?

Believe it or not, I've never heard anything by these guys.

Is the new one a decent starting point?

Actually, yeah, it is. The band has changed very gradually a very great deal, though, over the course of their four records. It hasn't been a Kid A shift, or something, but rather one of mood, production, and general message. What started out as a seemingly jaded and, at times, embittered band has become, of all things, a pick-me-up band which tries to write anthems about aging gracefully in the rock landscape, making the most of yourself in spite of your circumstances, and learning to appreciate the fleeting moments of youth. For the current incarnation of the band, you will do just fine either with this new record, Stay Positive, or the last one, Boys And Girls In America.

If you want a slice of what this band used to be, when redemption was possible but you got a hell of a lot more fucked up on the way to getting to it, you cannot fail with Separation Sunday, one of my ten favorite records of all time. Absolutely brilliant. I have listened to it hundreds upon hundreds of times, and it still sometimes manages to knock me flat on my ass in adoration of its understated, but wildly bold, ambition. The best story record in history, easy.

U2popmofo, I'm still planning on giving this a try, despite my failed attempts to like them. Again, this is mostly driven by yours and GAF's passion for the band. How's that for respect, spanky?

452505590_2a77ef0677_o.jpg

Believe it or not, I've never heard anything by these guys.

Is the new one a decent starting point?

I'm only just now listening to the new one (because I was busy watching that f'ng AWESOME Lakers victory)

but I would say that the previous one 'Boys and Girls in America' is the best starting point. Although I agree that you can't go wrong with 'Separation Sunday' either.

I, too, appreciate the respect NSW. :hi5:

I hope that your next attempt at getting into them works out for you. If it would be at all possible for you to see them live, up close and in an intimate venue, maybe that would help out. It sure did for me. When I caught them in San Diego last summer it was easily one of the best concerts I saw all year.

i really tried to like this band, after glowing reviews from every magazine and music blogs and constant comparisons to the E st band..
i bought 'boys and girls in america' a year or two ago, and i listened to it about 10 times till i finally came to the realization i wasn't gonna like it. it's not like i hated them, the lyrics were really unimpressive and got old fast.

Alright, I just got done listening to it. This might be a bit rambling, but here goes.

It does not disappoint, at all.

I had heard that this one didn't have a theme running through it like the previous albums...but that's just not true. Many of the songs reference a not-too-clear crime involving knives and a stabbing and two kids dying....and Finn seems to work the idea of bloodshed into most every song. Lots of Catholic imagery throughout, as well. Not sure what any of that means yet, but it does add that cool interconnectedness that the other albums had.

Two bad-ass guitar solos, at least, that I remember. One in Lord, I'm Discouraged and the other in Joke About Jamaica (one of my favorites. Love the Zeppelin references!)

Constructive Summer is one of the best here. Just a classic Hold Steady summer song. Really fun...about drinking whiskey cokes and singing on top of water towers. Magazines is great, too..."Magazines and daddy issues, I know you're pretty pissed but I hope you still let me kiss you"

And then Slapped Actress is the PERFECT closer. I feel it will be a great concert closer, too. Anyway, like I said, I loved it on first listen. Can't wait to listen to it some more. And hopefully I can see them live again!

Last edited:
I agree with you on most all of your points, GAF. I'm glad that there's another fan on the boards, finally--when Boys And Girls came out, I actually got scolded for being too enthusiastic about the band. No joke! It was ridiculous.

At any rate, in "Constructive Summer," "Doublewhiskeycokenoice" is actually a reference to a D4 song by the same name. It's a perfect, Hold-Steady-of-old-type reference, and I welcome it with open arms. If you'd like to have a look at my transcription of the record, or even to suggest any corrections, you're beyond welcome to check it out over here:

The Hold Steady Message Board :: View topic - Stay Positive Lyrics

Also, if you're in Illinois and you miss the P4K festival, then I will kick your face off, seriously. See them while you can, damn it! Living in Japan for the last two years has really, really, really helped me to appreciate the joys of a band playing within a few hours, at most, of home--over here, seeing The Hold Steady would run me over $2000 in travel expenses, alone!

I'm only just now listening to the new one (because I was busy watching that f'ng AWESOME Lakers victory)

but I would say that the previous one 'Boys and Girls in America' is the best starting point. Although I agree that you can't go wrong with 'Separation Sunday' either.

I, too, appreciate the respect NSW. :hi5:

I hope that your next attempt at getting into them works out for you. If it would be at all possible for you to see them live, up close and in an intimate venue, maybe that would help out. It sure did for me. When I caught them in San Diego last summer it was easily one of the best concerts I saw all year.

Saw 'em at Lolla.

I want to check this band out but im not a member of what.cd. So I cant find it.

Hilarious. You could either stream the new record for free, via MySpace, or simply buy one of their records, which is the legal way to go about listening to the band. Also, the iTunes release of Stay Positive has now been bumped to June 17, which is just days away.

I agree with you on most all of your points, GAF. I'm glad that there's another fan on the boards, finally--when Boys And Girls came out, I actually got scolded for being too enthusiastic about the band. No joke! It was ridiculous.

At any rate, in "Constructive Summer," "Doublewhiskeycokenoice" is actually a reference to a D4 song by the same name. It's a perfect, Hold-Steady-of-old-type reference, and I welcome it with open arms. If you'd like to have a look at my transcription of the record, or even to suggest any corrections, you're beyond welcome to check it out over here:

The Hold Steady Message Board :: View topic - Stay Positive Lyrics

Also, if you're in Illinois and you miss the P4K festival, then I will kick your face off, seriously. See them while you can, damn it! Living in Japan for the last two years has really, really, really helped me to appreciate the joys of a band playing within a few hours, at most, of home--over here, seeing The Hold Steady would run me over $2000 in travel expenses, alone!

Wait, so that's you that wrote out all the lyrics to the album on the Hold Steady message board? Brilliant work! I was looking at those earlier and they seem spot on.

And yeah, I have a few friends who are going to the Pitchfork festival and there's a good chance I'll be tagging along with them.

Hilarious. You could either stream the new record for free, via MySpace, or simply buy one of their records, which is the legal way to go about listening to the band. Also, the iTunes release of Stay Positive has now been bumped to June 17, which is just days away.

Buying Cds is for suckers.

Stealing from artists, producers, record labels, and the industry you supposedly love is for spoiled self-centered douchebags who have no hint of morals or ethics.

Exactamundo.

And if you hate CDs so, then buy vinyl. Or s. Whatever. There are options available to you, titans.

I just don't have a job. So I can't afford to spend money on music. Record labels have enough money without me buying the albums. I will support any band that I actually like if I have an oppurtunity to see them live.

Remember to buy your physical copies, today, kids. Three bonus tracks on the CD version ("Ask Her For Some Adderall," "Cheyenne Sunrise," and "Two-Handed Handshake"), and one on the vinyl ("Ask Her For Some Adderall"). Wonderful record. Make sure that you make it yours!

I don't quite understand the worship of this band, but when I'm in the mood I absolutely love them, particularly Separation Sunday, and they do have some less rambling-storyteller songs that are just plain catchy, like the latest single. I haven't gotten this album yet, but on my next round at Newbury Comics I probably will.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom