The Hold Steady: STAY POSITIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't believe tickets were so cheap. No wonder it sold out so quickly. The scalpers must be having a field day with it. I'm also surprised it's at the TLA--I would've guessed it would've been at the Electric Factory. I've never seen a show at the TLA, but I hate the Electric Factory, so I'm glad it's not there. Friday's going to be rough, since I have to work until 2:30, then drive 4 hours down there, but I know it will be worth it.

STAY POSITIVE, no matter what occurs! I can't recall if this is the Hold Steady album I heard or not, but I couldn't really get into it. What other material would you suggest I start with?

STAY POSITIVE, no matter what occurs! I can't recall if this is the Hold Steady album I heard or not, but I couldn't really get into it. What other material would you suggest I start with?

I'd probably start with the album 'Boys and Girls in America'

It's glorious.

These guys put on a great set Friday night. I went in not knowing too much about them, but I was impressed by their fun, high-energy set. I still think it was an odd choice of openers for Sonic Youth, but I enjoyed them.

So I'm listening to this album again and I'm really liking it. I'll move onto Boys and Girls next... I know how to follow advice to a T.

Their cover of Springsteen's 'Atlantic City' for the new War Child album is great, I highly recommend putting 99 cents towards it. Plus, it's for charity. Do it.

That is a shame. One of a kind guy, he is. The 'stache obviously makes him unforgettable, and he's a baller live. When I saw them I was front row right in front of his keyboard (or organ or piano or whatever the hell it is, I was drunk) and I ended up spending the whole show watching either him or Craig. I don't know how much he contributes to the actual songwriting, though, so I have no clue how this will mess with future output.

This band kicks ass by the way.

By the way, the album that this thread is dedicated to, though not as satisfying as either Separation Sunday or Boys and Girls, is awesome.

Holy shit, no. He's a nice and fun guy, and I don't have anything against him on any kind of personal level, but he's a horribly contrived and superficial arranger. His trajectory, for me, ended with crushing finality, when Stay Positive came out. On Separation Sunday, his last-second additions added some flair to a few songs which'd already been written; on Boys vs. Girls, the band was in perfect harmony; and then, with Stay Positive, they became a rock-like self-help band, and stated openly that Nicolay was a primary architect of the sound. I don't understand why anybody thinks The Hold Steady needs more (ie, any) harpsichords or lounge balladeer tendencies, but whatever. I'm glad that that contingent isn't happy.

That bile in the last sentence of that post isn't AT ALL directed at any of you guys, by the way. It's a more general sentiment.

Case in point: I just got a message from a fellow THS fan going off on me for saying, "Glad that Franz is gone, here's to the future, no more tacky instrumentation," and so forth...ON MY FUCKING FACEBOOK PAGE! Beyond hilarious, yes, but it's also pretty frustrating. As blind as I think a lot of U2 fans can be, I've NEVER received a pm on this site (let alone in a public, non-music arena) from somebody bitterly taking issue with me, like, complaining that Bono's voice isn't what it used to be. My word.

How dare you express your opinion on your Facebook page! Shameful. :tsk:

Seriously, that is kind of odd.

I have no opinion on this development because I never heard anything by THS until the last album came out.

I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself that it was the keyboard player's fault for the last album having been a steamy turd, but hey, whatever you want to tell yourself. Ironically, his parts were some of my favorite moments of the 2 tracks from the album I actually liked.

It has been suggested to me that a new LP may be released in April. I don't know any further details, and know only that this information (allegedly) comes from a reputable source who is working with the band. Time will tell. Doesn't sound too far-fetched, though, as the band was recording in the latter half of 2009 and playing a good deal of new material at shows.

So, this band is playing a really small bar/club nearby, in August, I think. Anyway, I don't know any of their stuff. Obviously, I can go listen to their songs off MySpace or YouTube to see if I like them, but what I was more wondering was: are they supposed to be good live? I usually don't go see bands I don't know, but I'm willing to make an exception since it's close, a small club, and cheap. But if they're not good live, then I won't bother.

(Plus, any song recommendations to check out from those in the know would be appreciated as well.)

Thanks!

I'm biased, because I'm a pretty huge fan, but I think they're incredible live.

Buy the albums Separation Sunday and Boys and Girls in America.

Back
Top Bottom