The Hold Steady: STAY POSITIVE - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,289
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Alright, I just got done listening to it. This might be a bit rambling, but here goes.

It does not disappoint, at all.

I had heard that this one didn't have a theme running through it like the previous albums...but that's just not true. Many of the songs reference a not-too-clear crime involving knives and a stabbing and two kids dying....and Finn seems to work the idea of bloodshed into most every song. Lots of Catholic imagery throughout, as well. Not sure what any of that means yet, but it does add that cool interconnectedness that the other albums had.

Two bad-ass guitar solos, at least, that I remember. One in Lord, I'm Discouraged and the other in Joke About Jamaica (one of my favorites. Love the Zeppelin references!)

Constructive Summer is one of the best here. Just a classic Hold Steady summer song. Really fun...about drinking whiskey cokes and singing on top of water towers. Magazines is great, too..."Magazines and daddy issues, I know you're pretty pissed but I hope you still let me kiss you"

And then Slapped Actress is the PERFECT closer. I feel it will be a great concert closer, too. Anyway, like I said, I loved it on first listen. Can't wait to listen to it some more. And hopefully I can see them live again!
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 11:24 PM
I agree with you on most all of your points, GAF. I'm glad that there's another fan on the boards, finally--when Boys And Girls came out, I actually got scolded for being too enthusiastic about the band. No joke! It was ridiculous.

At any rate, in "Constructive Summer," "Doublewhiskeycokenoice" is actually a reference to a D4 song by the same name. It's a perfect, Hold-Steady-of-old-type reference, and I welcome it with open arms. If you'd like to have a look at my transcription of the record, or even to suggest any corrections, you're beyond welcome to check it out over here:

The Hold Steady Message Board :: View topic - Stay Positive Lyrics

Also, if you're in Illinois and you miss the P4K festival, then I will kick your face off, seriously. See them while you can, damn it! Living in Japan for the last two years has really, really, really helped me to appreciate the joys of a band playing within a few hours, at most, of home--over here, seeing The Hold Steady would run me over $2000 in travel expenses, alone!
__________________

__________________
If you shout... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Refugee
 
thetitans2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,752
Local Time: 05:24 AM
I want to check this band out but im not a member of what.cd. So I cant find it.
__________________
thetitans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I'm only just now listening to the new one (because I was busy watching that f'ng AWESOME Lakers victory)

but I would say that the previous one 'Boys and Girls in America' is the best starting point. Although I agree that you can't go wrong with 'Separation Sunday' either.




I, too, appreciate the respect NSW.

I hope that your next attempt at getting into them works out for you. If it would be at all possible for you to see them live, up close and in an intimate venue, maybe that would help out. It sure did for me. When I caught them in San Diego last summer it was easily one of the best concerts I saw all year.
Saw 'em at Lolla.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetitans2k View Post
I want to check this band out but im not a member of what.cd. So I cant find it.
Hilarious. You could either stream the new record for free, via MySpace, or simply buy one of their records, which is the legal way to go about listening to the band. Also, the iTunes release of Stay Positive has now been bumped to June 17, which is just days away.
__________________
If you shout... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,289
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
I agree with you on most all of your points, GAF. I'm glad that there's another fan on the boards, finally--when Boys And Girls came out, I actually got scolded for being too enthusiastic about the band. No joke! It was ridiculous.

At any rate, in "Constructive Summer," "Doublewhiskeycokenoice" is actually a reference to a D4 song by the same name. It's a perfect, Hold-Steady-of-old-type reference, and I welcome it with open arms. If you'd like to have a look at my transcription of the record, or even to suggest any corrections, you're beyond welcome to check it out over here:

The Hold Steady Message Board :: View topic - Stay Positive Lyrics

Also, if you're in Illinois and you miss the P4K festival, then I will kick your face off, seriously. See them while you can, damn it! Living in Japan for the last two years has really, really, really helped me to appreciate the joys of a band playing within a few hours, at most, of home--over here, seeing The Hold Steady would run me over $2000 in travel expenses, alone!
Wait, so that's you that wrote out all the lyrics to the album on the Hold Steady message board? Brilliant work! I was looking at those earlier and they seem spot on.

And yeah, I have a few friends who are going to the Pitchfork festival and there's a good chance I'll be tagging along with them.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Refugee
 
thetitans2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,752
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Hilarious. You could either stream the new record for free, via MySpace, or simply buy one of their records, which is the legal way to go about listening to the band. Also, the iTunes release of Stay Positive has now been bumped to June 17, which is just days away.
Buying Cds is for suckers.
__________________
thetitans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetitans2k View Post
Buying Cds is for suckers.
Stealing from artists, producers, record labels, and the industry you supposedly love is for spoiled self-centered douchebags who have no hint of morals or ethics.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Stealing from artists, producers, record labels, and the industry you supposedly love is for spoiled self-centered douchebags who have no hint of morals or ethics.

Exactamundo.

And if you hate CDs so, then buy vinyl. Or s. Whatever. There are options available to you, titans.
__________________
If you shout... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #25
Refugee
 
thetitans2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,752
Local Time: 05:24 AM
I just don't have a job. So I can't afford to spend money on music. Record labels have enough money without me buying the albums. I will support any band that I actually like if I have an oppurtunity to see them live.
__________________
thetitans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Exactamundo.

And if you hate CDs so, then buy vinyl. Or mp3s. Whatever. There are options available to you, titans.
Damned Japanese formatting...!
__________________
If you shout... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Remember to buy your physical copies, today, kids. Three bonus tracks on the CD version ("Ask Her For Some Adderall," "Cheyenne Sunrise," and "Two-Handed Handshake"), and one on the vinyl ("Ask Her For Some Adderall"). Wonderful record. Make sure that you make it yours!
__________________
If you shout... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #28
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Where the hell have you been?

I will buy it today.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 01:24 AM
I don't quite understand the worship of this band, but when I'm in the mood I absolutely love them, particularly Separation Sunday, and they do have some less rambling-storyteller songs that are just plain catchy, like the latest single. I haven't gotten this album yet, but on my next round at Newbury Comics I probably will.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #30
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:24 PM
I love the album packaging. The inside and booklet are extremely cool.
__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the hold steady

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com