The Hold Steady: HEAVEN IS WHENEVER - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:21 PM
That is one boring new album.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Thanks for the response, IYS.

And, yes, now that I've heard it, "Sweet Part of the City" is the best thing here. You're right, that instrumentation sounds like something out of another time. And very un-Hold Steady. I love it.

I definitely dig the album as a whole, too. There's a handful of songs I really enjoy. I like it better than Stay Positive at this point.

My first listen to it was pretty cool and memorable, too. I felt myself starting to get tired and knew I'd be asleep within a half hour or so, so I decided to turn up the NPR stream on the computer speakers, lay down on my bed, and fall asleep to the album. It was a warm and comforting thing to listen to as I drifted off to dreamland. I used to fall asleep to albums all the time when I was younger, but haven't done it in years. I don't know, it's always a unique way to experience a piece of music.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

^ Reading that back, it probably sounds like I'm saying the album put me to sleep. That's not the case at all, ha. Anyway...

IYS, or anyone else who has heard this thing, what do you think of the track "We Can Get Together"? Really, really liking that one at the moment. Great song.

It might not reach the highs of SS or Boys and Girls, but there are moments on this album that stand up with anything the band has done, and that I know I'll be revisiting for a long time.

Yay for music.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
^ Reading that back, it probably sounds like
IYS, or anyone else who has heard this thing, what do you think of the track "We Can Get Together"? Really, really liking that one at the moment. Great song.
Picked up the vinyl today and I am loving this album! "We Can Get Together" is my second favorite track behind "The Weekenders." Ask me in an hour and you'll probably get a different answer.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
It might not reach the highs of SS or Boys and Girls, but there are moments on this album that stand up with anything the band has done, and that I know I'll be revisiting for a long time.
I'll definitely agree with this. No reservations. Several of these songs are, for me, stellar. Or better. "The Sweet Part of the City" sounds like one of my all-time fave THS songs. I have had this for a few weeks, and I listen to a frightening amount of music (50+ new albums and 7"s, in the last week), but this song remains in constant rotation. Somehow. Doesn't mean that the song is technically perfect or that it MUST be awesome because I like, but that I clearly like it an awful lot, if it's rising up through all of that other listening.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Picked up the latest album after learning that a childhood friend of mine, Dan Neustadt (he was at my second-grade birthday party, lol) has joined the band as their keyboardist. Dude was a straight-A honors student in high school, really laid-back and nice, and is very talented. I'm warming up to their music - pretty good stuff.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Ha ha ha! That's wild!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #53
Blue Meth Addict

One of my friends asked me if I want to see them tomorrow, and I cannot refuse concerts, so I'm going.. I still haven't purchased, or even heard, the new album, so it's going to suck not being familiar with it. Looks like they mix the sets up pretty well though, so I guess it won't be a huge problem. I've never seen them live, so it should be fun regardless.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #54
Blue Meth Addict

This was the setlist:

Quote:
Positive Jam
Stuck Between Stations
Hurricane J
Girls Like Status
The Swish
Magazines
You Can Make Him Like You
The Smidge
The Sweet Part of the City
Rock Problems
Bangin' Camp
Chips Ahoy!
Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night
Stevie Nix
Sequestered In Memphis
We Can Get Together
Southtown Girls
Your Little Hoodrat Friend
The Weekenders
Slapped Actress
ENCORE
Constructive Summer
Massive Nights
Most People Are DJs
I want to murder the sound guy at the venue, it was nearly impossible to hear the vocals during most all songs. Made the show really, really, really disappointing. It wasn't the bands fault, they were extremely entertaining, and were playing the hell out of the place. I'd like to get a in a fight with the people at the mixing board though, such a bummer.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #55
War Child

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
This was the setlist:

I want to murder the sound guy at the venue, it was nearly impossible to hear the vocals during most all songs. Made the show really, really, really disappointing. It wasn't the bands fault, they were extremely entertaining, and were playing the hell out of the place. I'd like to get a in a fight with the people at the mixing board though, such a bummer.

I've seen THS 3 times and their shows are always a blast. You got a great setlist. Too bad about the mixing board folk. Any problems should be taken care of at sound check.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

That really fucking sucks, scumbo. There is nothing worse than a show where the vocals are mixed too low, especially with such a great and verbose lyricist like Finn. Did he make any mention of the sound problem, or was he even aware of it?

Anyway, I'll help you beat up the sound guy. Hopefully you get to see them again under better circumstances.

I would recommend buying their latest album, by the way. There's some great shit on there.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #57
Blue Meth Addict

What do youz guyz think of this?

Craig Finn making a solo album
Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If it sounds anything like that Brokerdealer shit from all those years ago, I will forever bid farewell to him and his musical endeavors.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #59
The Male

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Finn's voice is easily the worst thing about the band, and without the power of those guitars, I just don't know.

He's a very good lyricist though; maybe he should write some poetry.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:21 PM
no interest whatsoever. but as having only been able to feign marginal interest in the hold steady, that's kind of expected of me i'm sure.