The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, I'm wearing a gaslight anthem tshirt.

But I can't say I've been too thrilled with anything since the 69 sound. That album was pretty much perfect, and the one after it bored me to tears.

Just listened to the song. Awesome shit.

Very intrigued by this Youtube video though, as this suggests it's not the single version, but ripped from the album. Methinks this will leak very early.

Me hopes you are right. I still haven't heard the youtube clip, I'll just wait for the whole thing. I really like these guys! Couldn't see them on their last stopover to Australia cause the gig was on like a Tuesday night. :doh:

I've fallen so deeply in love with them over the last year, no lie. I'm ridiculously excited for this album, not to mention seeing them at Lolla in a couple months.

At the end of the song, it begins to transition into the next track.

Yeah, American Slang was a bit unexciting, kind of the same ol' same ol', but I do love the '59 Sound.

'59 Sound was really good. I still really like the final track on there, The Backseat.

I actually forgot they had another album come out since then, I don't recall even hearing singles from it.

bono_212 said:
So perfect you forgot the name?

Hahaha, I'd blame the iPad and the touch screen, but you'd never believe me because everyone has iPhones and uses touch screens on a regular basis (I don't, my phone screams welcome to 2002. But that's another story). Yeah, also so perfect that I haven't listened to it since the last one came out, I didn't like it, and got incredibly tired of the very calculated image Brian Fallon was setting up with the acoustic stuff.

See,that one I keep calling "the last one" because I honestly can't remember the name of it.

This album is very, very good, especially the first half. A nice improvement over American Slang, which was pretty good but had a few clunkers, and at 35 minutes or whatever felt a bit paltry.

59 Sound is still my favorite though, as I love the stories and themes running throughout it.

The '59 Sound is one of the best records of the last 5 years, IMO. I'll definitely check out this new one...

The first half is outstanding. I can't get enough of "Here comes my man", which I feel has some Springsteen undertones to it. I heard it live awhile back and it sounded a little different...but it's still excellent.

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title, oddly enough I could see them doing a kickass cover of it. If they knew the song,I mean.

So we haven't dropped the Brian Fallon wants to be Bruce Springsteen yet? I want to check this out (and I want to like it), but I'm really tired of that image.

I never said that. Every artist has influences, which can even become apparent from time to time.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, but by all means, don't let that stop you from checking out a CD. Sheesh.

unico said:
I never said that. Every artist has influences, which can even become apparent from time to time.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, but by all means, don't let that stop you from checking out a CD. Sheesh.

My post had nothing to do with yours, actually. Rest assured I don't value your (or anyone else here's) opinion enough to influence my decision one way or the other about this particular band.

I'm fine with the Springsteen influence whether it's the general homage that is meet me by the river's edge, or the blatant "at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet/ it's a pretty good song maybe you know the rest" reference (although, much to 212ers dismay, that's one of the only Springsteen songs I dislike). The 59 sound is a fantastic album, and I dig parts of sink or swim quite a bit as well. But I'm sick of the gimmicky marketing strategy that the " hey we're from new jersey and love Springsteen, so if you love Springsteen you should listen to us!" has become with the band or Fallon's solo thing from a year or so ago. There's being influenced by someone and that showing in your songs, but then there's using that as your number one advertising campaign every time you put out an album. The Hudson falcons are from jersey, there's a giant influence to be heard in a lot of their tunes nevermind the number of covers they've done, but it's one of a bunch of obvious influences and never struck me as nearly as obnoxious and calculated. Perhaps the gaslight anthem aren't doing this either, and it's side one dummy (if they're even still on that label) or their manager, some PR guy. Whoever. I only pick on Fallon cos he's the only name in the band I know, and when I saw them live he had this godawful one-trick mimicry (I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt on the lack of stage presence thing based on the weirdness of the show, since it was an opening slot for the alkaline trio/rise against tour) thing down to an art.

Did I mention I still love the 59 sound? I'm even making sure to not get the name wrong like I did last time. :wink:

IWasBored said:
My post had nothing to do with yours, actually. Rest assured I don't value your (or anyone else here's) opinion enough to influence my decision one way or the other about this particular band.

I'm fine with the Springsteen influence whether it's the general homage that is meet me by the river's edge, or the blatant "at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet/ it's a pretty good song maybe you know the rest" reference (although, much to 212ers dismay, that's one of the only Springsteen songs I dislike). The 59 sound is a fantastic album, and I dig parts of sink or swim quite a bit as well. But I'm sick of the gimmicky marketing strategy that the " hey we're from new jersey and love Springsteen, so if you love Springsteen you should listen to us!" has become with the band or Fallon's solo thing from a year or so ago. There's being influenced by someone and that showing in your songs, but then there's using that as your number one advertising campaign every time you put out an album. The Hudson falcons are from jersey, there's a giant influence to be heard in a lot of their tunes nevermind the number of covers they've done, but it's one of a bunch of obvious influences and never struck me as nearly as obnoxious and calculated. Perhaps the gaslight anthem aren't doing this either, and it's side one dummy (if they're even still on that label) or their manager, some PR guy. Whoever. I only pick on Fallon cos he's the only name in the band I know, and when I saw them live he had this godawful one-trick mimicry (I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt on the lack of stage presence thing based on the weirdness of the show, since it was an opening slot for the alkaline trio/rise against tour) thing down to an art.

Did I mention I still love the 59 sound? I'm even making sure to not get the name wrong like I did last time. :wink:

Well, when you respond to my post by quoting me, I'm going to think you're responding to what I said. Glad we got that straightened out.

Fallon hasn't done a solo thing, but if you are referring to the side project he did with Ian, The Horrible Crowes, I don't recall it being marketed as Springstein-esque. I didn't see them live, but I don't think that album particularly sounds like that anyway. But that's just me. I prefer TGA anyway.

Besides Fallon, TGA have a delicious bassist, whom I refer to as a god because...well, look at him!

Back
Top Bottom