The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but for a big music fan who grew up with Pearl Jam and Nirvana, it seems highly unlikely he never heard that song.

How is it?

This album is very, very good, especially the first half. A nice improvement over American Slang, which was pretty good but had a few clunkers, and at 35 minutes or whatever felt a bit paltry.

59 Sound is still my favorite though, as I love the stories and themes running throughout it.

I'm pretty sold. I love these guys so so much right now.

The first half is outstanding. I can't get enough of "Here comes my man", which I feel has some Springsteen undertones to it. I heard it live awhile back and it sounded a little different...but it's still excellent.

That's all we've got so far.

Yeah, but for a big music fan who grew up with Pearl Jam and Nirvana, it seems highly unlikely he never heard that song.

I'm just gonna put this out there. I'm 7 years younger than this guy, so maybe that's a big enough gap, but until about one year ago, I'd never heard of the song, and I'd like to think I'm not exactly close-minded about music. Just didn't know a ton by the Pixies until then.

Why is this a topic of interest to begin with? The songs don't even have the same title.

zomg Taylor Swift didn't know The Cure had already written Lovesong :panic:

While any similarities between “Too Much Blood” and the forgotten 1983 Rolling Stones cut of the same name are accidental (Hint: there aren’t any), one song that is still very much a reference to Fallon’s record collection is Handwritten’s acoustic-guitar-shrouded, sunshine-pop, Byrds/Tom Petty-homage “Here Comes My Man.” That title sound familiar, doesn’t it?
“I’m not really a Pixies guy,” Fallon recalls, “I was asking in the studio, I was like, ‘Isn’t there another song called ‘Here Comes My Man’?… And then we found out, ‘oh, the Pixies, yeah. And I’m like, ‘What’s their song about?’”
Not unlike Fallon’s lyric and title, Pixies’ “Here Comes Your Man” is inspired by The Velvet Underground’s “Waiting For The Man.”
“It kinda came from a mix between Beyonce, with ‘Single Ladies’ – and this is totally true; and this is what I’m talkin’ about, about not being cool,” Fallon says, “and Lou Reed – ‘Waiting For My Man.’”

Now let us all move on.

So he did know! :lol:

Anyway, yeah, whatever. I haven't even listened to the album yet so I might do that to contribute something more productive to the thread.

unico said:
Well, when you respond to my post by quoting me, I'm going to think you're responding to what I said. Glad we got that straightened out.

Fallon hasn't done a solo thing, but if you are referring to the side project he did with Ian, The Horrible Crowes, I don't recall it being marketed as Springstein-esque. I didn't see them live, but I don't think that album particularly sounds like that anyway. But that's just me. I prefer TGA anyway.

Besides Fallon, TGA have a delicious bassist, whom I refer to as a god because...well, look at him!

It was actually the spoiler tag part that was in response to your post. I post in the opposite of deep

Where not every

Thought goes on the

Same line.

Meaning, usually if theres a separation, those two things aren't related (unless theyre breaking up a really huge wall of text). Although there is absolutely no way you're going to know how my brain works, so I see why you would think I was responding to you. Could have sworn Fallon did a solo acoustic-y type deal, perhaps it was just with the horrible crowes and his name was bigger than the band name on the flyer/site I saw. I can't remember, it was a little while ago. Anyway, I'm about as done with this thread as I am with this band.

Listening to the Gaslight Anthem album today. Wow, I loved it almost straight away. For me, it's their best album so far :up:

Strangely, "Mae" reminds me of U2's Mercy :lol:

You know who fucking rocks?

These guys.

I'm hitting up Sink Or Swim and the Señor and the Queen EP as soon as I get home from work.

Gaslight are one of the very few bands that I know well enough but haven't actually listened to any of the albums in one sitting. Ought to get on that, thanks.

Damn. I think most of the times I've listened to anything off the 59 sound it was accompanied by the rest of the album right after.

I kinda just got into Gaslight this summer. Along with a ton of other bands, it's been a musical explosion for me. I started this whole monthly playlist thing on Spotify to help myself and my friends explore new music and expand horizons, blah blah blah.

A friend suggested Gaslight to me way back when the Lolla leaks happened, and I listened. On the flipside, I suggested Airborne Toxic Event to anyone who liked Gaslight ;)

My love for The Gaslight Anthem has grown exponentially over the last year, but I think it's reached its peak.

What I thought was cool band in the beginning has turned boring. I'm from Jersey and was one who listened to their first and second albums without people all of the sudden loving them in the area (for whatever reason that gets annoying, and I'm not a music snob that always says "I listened to them before they blew up" like most Kings Of Leon fans...its just more annoying that they're from the actual town where I live). The single sounds like a mixture of Springsteen, Kid Rock and Nickleback. Very generic and boring.

You're talking about 45? It sounds literally exactly the same as every other Gaslight Anthem song ever written.

If there is a change in sound (there isn't), blame Brendan O Brien aka worst producer in the world that some people erroneously consider skilled. The production is plastic and awful like everything else he touches, but the songs are still good and generally about the same topics.

I like the Pearl Jam records produced by O'Brien. Especially Vitalogy, now that's a great-sounding record.

He produced Vitalogy? Boy, he's lost it. The self-titled and Backspacer both sound terrible.

And don't even get me started on Springsteen's '00s stuff. Magic has pretty much all of the problems HTDAAB does.

Back
Top Bottom