The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Hmm... never heard of these guys before. Maybe I'll give 'em a go when I get off from work

Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I'm a fan

Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 05:46 AM
This album is very, very good, especially the first half. A nice improvement over American Slang, which was pretty good but had a few clunkers, and at 35 minutes or whatever felt a bit paltry.

59 Sound is still my favorite though, as I love the stories and themes running throughout it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm pretty sold. I love these guys so so much right now.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
On my first listen right now. Loving it so far!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Babyface

Local Time: 09:46 AM
The '59 Sound is one of the best records of the last 5 years, IMO. I'll definitely check out this new one...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 AM
The first half is outstanding. I can't get enough of "Here comes my man", which I feel has some Springsteen undertones to it. I heard it live awhile back and it sounded a little different...but it's still excellent.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

My favorite as well
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
My favorite as well
cheers to great taste!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico
"Here comes my man".
IWasBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Funny thing, he apparently didn't know that song existed.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title, oddly enough I could see them doing a kickass cover of it. If they knew the song,I mean.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
So we haven't dropped the Brian Fallon wants to be Bruce Springsteen yet? I want to check this out (and I want to like it), but I'm really tired of that image.

I never said that. Every artist has influences, which can even become apparent from time to time.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, but by all means, don't let that stop you from checking out a CD. Sheesh.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico

I never said that. Every artist has influences, which can even become apparent from time to time.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, but by all means, don't let that stop you from checking out a CD. Sheesh.
My post had nothing to do with yours, actually. Rest assured I don't value your (or anyone else here's) opinion enough to influence my decision one way or the other about this particular band.

I'm fine with the Springsteen influence whether it's the general homage that is meet me by the river's edge, or the blatant "at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet/ it's a pretty good song maybe you know the rest" reference (although, much to 212ers dismay, that's one of the only Springsteen songs I dislike). The 59 sound is a fantastic album, and I dig parts of sink or swim quite a bit as well. But I'm sick of the gimmicky marketing strategy that the " hey we're from new jersey and love Springsteen, so if you love Springsteen you should listen to us!" has become with the band or Fallon's solo thing from a year or so ago. There's being influenced by someone and that showing in your songs, but then there's using that as your number one advertising campaign every time you put out an album. The Hudson falcons are from jersey, there's a giant influence to be heard in a lot of their tunes nevermind the number of covers they've done, but it's one of a bunch of obvious influences and never struck me as nearly as obnoxious and calculated. Perhaps the gaslight anthem aren't doing this either, and it's side one dummy (if they're even still on that label) or their manager, some PR guy. Whoever. I only pick on Fallon cos he's the only name in the band I know, and when I saw them live he had this godawful one-trick mimicry (I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt on the lack of stage presence thing based on the weirdness of the show, since it was an opening slot for the alkaline trio/rise against tour) thing down to an art.

Did I mention I still love the 59 sound? I'm even making sure to not get the name wrong like I did last time.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored

My post had nothing to do with yours, actually. Rest assured I don't value your (or anyone else here's) opinion enough to influence my decision one way or the other about this particular band.

I'm fine with the Springsteen influence whether it's the general homage that is meet me by the river's edge, or the blatant "at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet/ it's a pretty good song maybe you know the rest" reference (although, much to 212ers dismay, that's one of the only Springsteen songs I dislike). The 59 sound is a fantastic album, and I dig parts of sink or swim quite a bit as well. But I'm sick of the gimmicky marketing strategy that the " hey we're from new jersey and love Springsteen, so if you love Springsteen you should listen to us!" has become with the band or Fallon's solo thing from a year or so ago. There's being influenced by someone and that showing in your songs, but then there's using that as your number one advertising campaign every time you put out an album. The Hudson falcons are from jersey, there's a giant influence to be heard in a lot of their tunes nevermind the number of covers they've done, but it's one of a bunch of obvious influences and never struck me as nearly as obnoxious and calculated. Perhaps the gaslight anthem aren't doing this either, and it's side one dummy (if they're even still on that label) or their manager, some PR guy. Whoever. I only pick on Fallon cos he's the only name in the band I know, and when I saw them live he had this godawful one-trick mimicry (I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt on the lack of stage presence thing based on the weirdness of the show, since it was an opening slot for the alkaline trio/rise against tour) thing down to an art.

Did I mention I still love the 59 sound? I'm even making sure to not get the name wrong like I did last time.
Well, when you respond to my post by quoting me, I'm going to think you're responding to what I said. Glad we got that straightened out.

Fallon hasn't done a solo thing, but if you are referring to the side project he did with Ian, The Horrible Crowes, I don't recall it being marketed as Springstein-esque. I didn't see them live, but I don't think that album particularly sounds like that anyway. But that's just me. I prefer TGA anyway.

Besides Fallon, TGA have a delicious bassist, whom I refer to as a god because...well, look at him!