The Gaslight Anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took some videos as the album release show last night. The quality is shit, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Boxer
[<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/892448039873" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/892448039873" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Old Haunts
<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/892457585743" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/892457585743" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Fuck. Nevermind. I've no idea how to link video from Facebook.

Decided to get a ticket to their Radio City show in September on a whim since I like their new album and whoa, scored Row BBB (that's 2nd row)! :D

I'm just getting into them, I like some of their older stuff and just got their new album. Can't say anything about it yet because I have to listen more carefully. I've watched some live videos and they seem great.

They covered motherfucking "State of Love and Trust", a.k.a. one of the best rock songs of the last quarter century, on Jimmy Fallon a little while back. It was pretty good, of course can't touch PJ's early performances of the song. I also can't be arsed to find the link. But, there you go. They've got good taste.

i know it probably borders on impossible to cover a pearl jam song without trying to sound like eddie vedder, but i think that's what i didn't like about it.

only like "bring it on" and "the spirit of jazz" off the first spin. well, the title track is good too. and that's just the first spin, but nothing awesome straight off the bat like with the 59 sound, or anything as good as "boomboxes and dictionaries."

trying not to fall into that trap of "eh...i like the first one better," because it's not even a case of sophmore slump--that would mean i'm forgetting sink or swim. and i also can't forget that the 59 sound, as a whole, had to grow on me as well. initially i really loved the first 4 songs and couldn't care less about the rest. then i realized how awesome another 1/3 of the album was, and got a little tired of the first 4 tracks, til ultimately i ended up loving everything except "even cowgirls get the blues." i got un-sick of great expectations, the title track, old white lincoln, and high lonesome. and as gimmicky as it really is, i do dig the springsteen blatant rip-off/homages. hell, i can't even whine about the ted hutt stamp because 1) he produced the 59 sound too and 2) he's got his mark on pretty much all of what's good from side one dummy in the last 5 years plus a handful of other albums.

maybe i'm just grumpy because i don't think it's terrible but was raring to fly into some kind of ginormous rant about how much i don't like the album, and all i've really got is that it's alright but i'm not super impressed. or maybe i'm just grumpy cos i know the world of warcraft server is going to be down all day, and mass effect has been taking for-friggin-ever to install, and i bought a wicked cool new gaming mouse i'm itching to try. or maybe i'm just grumpy.

It's nice to read other people's honest reactions, especially because I think you all tend to be more objective in your opinions.

The proximity of this band has allowed me to slide into the biased role, and now I'm completely smitten with them. I do know a crap song when I hear one, but their performances are incredible, and then of course meeting the singer in person sunk me in deeper to the fandom. For me, it's one thing to listen to a CD first, but with this band in particular, I saw them live before I heard the CD, and was like "DAYUM!" They blew me away. So, that kinda did it for me.

I guess, as cheesy as it sounds, now I feel a sort of "connection" with this band, catching them early on and then watching them explode and becoming even more popular. So, with that, I sort of fell into this new CD. I was eager to hear new stuff after listening to their old stuff over and over again. I've yet to take it out of my player in my car.

I've only casually listening to some of their stuff in the past, and enjoyed it to a point, so I was listening to Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show last night and they played some of their live Maida Vale set and I was impressed - I will have to check out more of their stuff :up:

For any UK dwellers it is on iPlayer and definitely worth a listen BBC iPlayer - Zane Lowe: The Gaslight Anthem in session

Back
Top Bottom