The Gaslight Anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Watching" is probably a good thing to do with them. :wink:

I listened to a few songs from this album this morning while getting ready for work. I still really love 'The Backseat', great album closer.

yeah, i'll get right on perusing those 40-some-odd spanish channels right after i finish up with the 25 different home shopping channels.

you people need to get in on the awesomeness that is "boomboxes and dictionaries" from the previous album, sink or swim. hell, check out the other songs on it, too. good stuff, indeed.

old white lincoln rules :up:

This was playing at the sandwich shop I had lunch at today.

IWB, are you acquainted with The Night Marchers? They opened for Modest Mouse the other night. The first half of their set was fantastic, the last half was not. If you know them, what are your thoughts?

This was playing at the sandwich shop I had lunch at today.

IWB, are you acquainted with The Night Marchers? They opened for Modest Mouse the other night. The first half of their set was fantastic, the last half was not. If you know them, what are your thoughts?

nice. none of the food places around here play anything semi-decent. :up:

i have never heard of them. i hate when bands play half an awesome set and then suck. but i think i hate it more when a band plays half a sucky set and then the rest is awesome, because then i buy a cd which inevitably has all the sucky songs and none of the awesome ones.

Gaslight Anthem have been my favorite "new" band for about 2 years now. Their stuff is incredible.

The 59 Sound is probably their best complete work, but Sink or Swim is still a damn good album. A little harder edged than The '59 Sound.

But if you want my opinion? The 4 songs on the "Senor and the Queen EP" are their best. "Say I Won't (Recognize)" and "Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts" are my favorite Gaslight Anthem songs. Just beautiful.

i can't really get into any of the songs off senor and the queen for some reason. kind of like how i can't get into even cowgirls get the blues. everything on that album is stellar, just i skip that song.

i don't know if i'd say sink or swim is necessarily a little harder edged, it's a little rougher. it's the same general sound, just before the ted hutt/side one dummy brigade came in and cleaned some of it up a bit.

59 Sound is a lot of fun, traditional American rock, I haven't heard their debut yet though.

I was just driving around and the new single from their new album came on the radio. It's the title track from the album American Slang, which the radio guy told me is coming out on June 15th. I really liked the song and I like these guys and there you have it.

I was just driving around and the new single from their new album came on the radio. It's the title track from the album American Slang, which the radio guy told me is coming out on June 15th. I really liked the song and I like these guys and there you have it.

Thank ye, GAFTA.

No problemo.

27210_388745818304_384408923304_3715071_1880335_n.jpg

01. American Slang
02. Stay Lucky
03. Bring It On
04. The Diamond Church Street Choir
05. The Queen of Lower Chelsea
06. Orphans
07. Boxer
08. Old Haunts
09. The Spirit Of Jazz
10. We Did It When We Were Young

cool. didn't even know there was new stuff coming out. kind of starting to dislike this band, but i'll reserve that rant til...oh, probably june 16th.

haha

the new song is pretty good. i will give them that. kind of rips off "i'da called you woody, joe" at times, but still not a bad track at all. i grow tired of the world-weary punk rock/springsteen-wannabe image that seems to stand out above the decent yet same-sounding songs. sink or swim was good, 59 sound even better. but i know what happens next. i eagerly get all amped up for a new album, the clean guitar riff running through the lead single psyching me up for something that sounds slightly different and a little new, only to find it's the only variation on a theme all 10 tracks are going to wear out, one that isn't too far from the album that got them more exposure. i'll definitely be buying it, and i'll like it to a degree, but it won't be as awesome as the last album. you could say i've got "great expectations" that i know this will fall short of, and that's causing my dislike.

either that, or i've just listened to the 59 sound too much and kind of burnt myself out a bit.

so much for waiting on that rant.

Hey, I didn't know they had new material coming out so soon! :hyper: I really like that cover.

The new album has hit the internet... What do you think of it? I'd say it's certainly on par with the modern classic "The '59 Sound" and "Senor and The Queen" EP and better than "Sink or Swim".

There's definitely a progression in their sound that's found throughout the album. The only song I don't like is "Stay Lucky", which is a momentum killer after the opening title track "American Slang." But 9 great songs out of 10 is quite impressive.

scored some Gaslight tix for the CD release concert in NYC on 6/15 and going to see Brian Fallon do an acoustic show this friday! :hyper:

That show was awesome! As this band continues to grow, I doubt we'll get many more chances to see a cool ass gig like that one (let's not talk about the shit-hole venue).

I'm really digging American Slang. Right now only 1 radio station plays it, but it's enough to get me pumped about the new album. I've not heard it yet. Brian said something about the album being leaked online at that gig. I can't remember exactly...

My favorite song off '59 Sound is actually "Cassanova, Baby!" Which, including the borrowed lyric, has a Sam Cooke feel to it, which I didn't realize until the night of the acoustic gig. At the gig, Sam Cooke was being played before his set. One of the guys near us went on and on about Sam, and how he's apparently one of Brian's influences. No wonder I love that song! I grew up listening to Sam's stuff all my life (mom was a fan girl.)

I'm definitely looking forward to the new album, and the release party next month.

Back
Top Bottom