The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
are they just one of those bands everyone likes but never really talks about? It seems that way.

I had heard a handful of their songs before and loved them, but now that I've picked up The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi..., and At War With the Mystics, it's turned into some type of hot, monkey love. Is there anything else I should seriously consider picking up by them?

Who else really loved The Lips and wants to see them live as badly as I do / has already seen them live?

lips_soft.jpg
1694849_yoshimi_200.jpg
200px-Mystics.jpg

Wayne Coyne is awesome.

I have Yoshimi, the Soft Bulletin and Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, and I have the latest one on my wish list, but I don't think I'll be reaching further back into their catalogue for some of their earlier stuff.

I'm not that interested in their experiments with sounds, like that multiple-disc collection that's supposed to be played all at once on separate CD players. Interesting idea, but not something I'm going to rush out and buy.

corianderstem said:
that multiple-disc collection that's supposed to be played all at once on separate CD players.

Zaireeka.

I'd recommend getting Clouds Taste Metallic if you can. It's the album before Soft Bulletin and it has a lot of great songs on it.

I'd also recommend seeing them live the first chance you get. They blew my mind at ACL last year.

I have seen them live, and they were AMAZING.

Personally, I think that Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin are a bit overrated. Both are great albums, but I will always like Transmissions From The Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic more.

Oh, and At War With The Mystics is an incredible album...waaaaaaay underrated.

inmyplace13 said:

I'd recommend getting Clouds Taste Metallic if you can. It's the album before Soft Bulletin and it has a lot of great songs on it.

im downloading it right now :wink:

if you want it, corianderstem, post your email.

Thanks, U2man, but I'm good for now. I'll put it on my wish list and let myself be surprised. :wink:

Her name is Yoshimi
she's a black belt in karate
working for the city
she has to discipline her body

'Cause she knows that
it's demanding
to defeat those evil machines
I know she can beat them

Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots eat me
Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots defeat me

Those evil-natured robots
they're programmed to destroy us
she's gotta be strong to fight them
so she's taking lots of vitamins

'Cause she knows that
it'd be tragic
if those evil robots win
I know she can beat them

Yoshimi

'Cause she knows that
it'd be tragic
if those evil robots win
I know she can beat them

Yoshimi

:heart:

I'm listening to the Yoshimi album right now!

Is it just me, or do they mix their albums too loud? No matter what CD player/headphones I use, "Do You Realize" sounds like it's just pushing into the red, and it always ticks me off. It's like they put just a hair of distortion into everything, to keep it sounding pristine or something.

Cut it out, Wayne! I want the beauty without the distortion! :mad:

corianderstem said:
I'm listening to the Yoshimi album right now!

Is it just me, or do they mix their albums too loud? No matter what CD player/headphones I use, "Do You Realize" sounds like it's just pushing into the red, and it always ticks me off. It's like they put just a hair of distortion into everything, to keep it sounding pristine or something.

Cut it out, Wayne! I want the beauty without the distortion! :mad:

yep, that song goes to 11. :up:

I can't wait for their movie Christmas on Mars. Written and directed by Wayne Coyne.

:drool:

I'll be really surprised if that ever comes out. Hasn't he been working on that for about forever and a day?

I'd also recommend watching the Fearless Freaks documentary if you get a chance. It's pretty wonderful.

Isn't it great? I watched that in the last year and just loved it.

There's also a book by Jim Derogatis about the Lips that's pretty interesting. But it doesn't beat the documentary.

The Soft Bulletin is both an incredibly beautiful album as well as incredibly sad.

Love
In our life
Is just too viable to feel
For even a second
Without it

But life
Without death
Is just impossible to realise
Something is ending
Within us

Feeling yourself disintegrate

Soft Bulletin :drool: man absolutley incredible CD, nothing else quite like it. Race for the Prize , The Spark That Bled, Waitin' for a Superman, Feeling Yourself Disintegrate, The Spider Bite Song all 5 star songs.
Yoshimi also :drool: Fight Test, Yoshimi, Ego Tripping, Do You Realize, One More Robot...

Whoever likes what they hear download:
SUNSHIP BALLOONS
From their Ego Trippin EP I promise you you wont be dissappointed it's their most absolutely beautiful song

Back
Top Bottom