The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a roommate who used to scream out, "I'm going to be on television!" in an old woman's voice every time I came home. It was messed up, but I still laughed.

On March 12 I get to see the Lips for the first time in three years. Happy day!

Also, for $32, this is almost worth going to Kansas for:

lips_web-450x591.jpg

So Embryonic got me to finally go back and pick up The Soft Bulletin and At War with the Mystics. I'm wondering how far back I should go. I have every intention of getting Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic, but are the early albums worth getting? From what I gather, the consensus is that In a Priest Driven Ambulance is the first noteworthy record.

Embryonic is so compellingly unlistenable. It's dense and difficult in the best way possible. It's just gorgeously ugly.

On March 12 I get to see the Lips for the first time in three years. Happy day!

Also, for $32, this is almost worth going to Kansas for:

lips_web-450x591.jpg

Holy shit.

So Embryonic got me to finally go back and pick up The Soft Bulletin and At War with the Mystics. I'm wondering how far back I should go. I have every intention of getting Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic, but are the early albums worth getting? From what I gather, the consensus is that In a Priest Driven Ambulance is the first noteworthy record.

Embryonic is so compellingly unlistenable. It's dense and difficult in the best way possible. It's just gorgeously ugly.

Every album you mentioned is worth it.

man, i love this band. Embryonic is one of the most interesting, awesome records i have, start to finish.

A man holds a gun
Oh there's no explanation
He shoots at the sun

as for Soft Bulletin, Race for the Prize - openers don't come a lot better than that.

as for Soft Bulletin, Race for the Prize - openers don't come a lot better than that.

As long as it's not the remixed version that appears on the album's initial release. The original version (which appears as a bonus track on the initial release) smashes the shit out of the watered down remix.

As long as it's not the remixed version that appears on the album's initial release. The original version (which appears as a bonus track on the initial release) smashes the shit out of the watered down remix.

i'm not sure which version i have, mine has 15 tracks, the last three being the 'Mokran' or 'Morkan' remixes of Race for the Prize and Waitin' for a Superman, and Buggin'.

guess i best be checking out Transmissions and Clouds Taste Metallic soon then.

No.

"Turn It On" is their best album opener, by far.

And no.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say Turn It On is my least favorite opener of what I've heard. Against Fight Test? Are you fucking kidding me?

Jesus Christmas, my bad. Second-best. Again, wrong time to post anything.

The remix of "Race for the Prize" is better, by the way. The drums on the original mix batter the shit out of everything.

The remix of "Race for the Prize" is better, by the way. The drums on the original mix batter the shit out of everything.

Different tastes I guess. I love that sound. That drum sound appears quite a bit on Embryonic... so maybe that's why I really dig it as an album.

It feels more natural with the rest of the dissonance in Embryonic though. In "Race," it overtakes the awesome background vocals and synths in the breaks.

Anyway, I got to listen to that song at a house party last night and the night became eminently* better.

* I have to pay Sy Abelman royalties for that.

Jesus Christmas, my bad. Second-best. Again, wrong time to post anything.

Ordinarily, the louder Steven Drozd's drums, the better. Songs like Pilot Can At The Queer Of God would be muted without that shit cranked. In this case though, I agree that the remix is smoother. You can air drum to it, but it's not dominating the mix.

It would have been impractical to include Mormons in the Watching The Planets video. Takes them too long to get undressed.

Where's the list in Random, LeMeL? :angry:

Buggin' is still one of my favorite Flaming Lips songs, I don't know why.

Well, since you got me thinking about it:

Lips Mt. Rushmore!

"Lightning Strikes the Postman"
"It's Summertime"
"Fight Test"
"Race for the Prize"

yeah Buggin' is really cool.

five favourites? why certainly.

Race for the Prize
The Spark That Bled
Do You Realise?
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
The Ego's Last Stand

Do You Realize??
The Spark That Bled
Christmas At The Zoo
Slow Nerve Action
Silver Trembling Hands

it's too hard with Embryonic, it's my favourite album of the three I've got, and while there's no absolute standouts for me, there's about 10 tracks which are all downright awesome.

Back
Top Bottom