The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listened to the first 5 or 6 songs... no where close to as good as Mystics.

But I'll give it the warmth and nurturing care it needs to grow on me.

The first 5 or 6 songs of Mystics were fantastic...then it went downhill. Embryonic doesn't.

Just like entire neighborhood haven't gotten a taste of Lance's Mom's lips insanity.

Sorry.

Damn it. Don't you have somewhere to put all of these jokes now? Plus, haven't you realized by now that your American humor is terribly petty?

All Lance's Mom jokes aside, that's still one of the most hideous album covers I've ever seen.

Um, what the fuck? :lol:

Pitchfork: Wanna Bike Ride Naked in a Flaming Lips Video? Of Course You Do

If you heard that almost any other band was assembling a group of people to get naked and ride bikes around a mountain, you'd probably dismiss it as a hoax. When it's the Flaming Lips doing the recruiting, though, you wonder what took them so long. For a band like this, a naked bike-riding video shoot is just another Wednesday. (Thanks to Kenny Boyett for the tip.)

BikePortland reports that the Lips are getting the naked cyclist mob together for the video for the Embryonic track "Watching the Planets". Next Wednesday, September 23, they'll be shooting on Portland, Oregon's Mount Tabor. Wayne Coyne told BikePortland that the idea came from the musical Hair: "You know how it's a bunch of freaked out naked people climbing some mountain with blood and fire and finding some new civilization there-- so I thought of Portland, right?" Of course.

Here's how Coyne describes the video's concept, which sounds, in a word, ridiculous: "I'm having one of my giant space bubbles covered in fake fox fur. It's going to look like some giant fur egg, and the people on bicycles are gonna sort of be born and erupt out of this fur, vaginalistic thing." Ew, yo.

Also: "Maybe I'll even get naked for the video, too. I don't even know how it ends-- maybe it ends with them all getting clothed and making me get naked and shoving me back into the giant fur egg. I just came up with that right now."

This video is already going to have a tough time competing with the one in our heads.

BikePortland has all of the info for anybody who's interested in participating. Here are the basic details:

Flaming Lips naked bike video shoot
Wednesday, September 23, 10am - 10pm (drop-in)
The top of Mount Tabor, by the basketball courts
No RSVP needed. Just show up wearing clothes, please.
For more information, contact: bikeforthelips@gmail.com

Godspeed!

And speaking of Flaming Lips videos, their one for the Embryonic track "I Can Be a Frog", which features guest grunts from Karen O, will make its debut on MySpace on September 22, next Tuesday.

One day I too would like to write a song featuring guest grunts from Karen O.

I'd make her ride the bike naked in the video though.

Welp, that's good news. They only colored vinyl I have are my Cherry Tree EP and my White Album, but it's awesome stuff and I'll be glad to have some more. And throwing a CD in there too is awesome. Wilco and MMJ do it, and it can't cost anything at all. Good job, Lippies.

Welp, that's good news. They only colored vinyl I have are my Cherry Tree EP and my White Album, but it's awesome stuff and I'll be glad to have some more. And throwing a CD in there too is awesome. Wilco and MMJ do it, and it can't cost anything at all. Good job, Lippies.

Gah, you have the Cherry Tree EP?!?

I've got some other colored stuff from the Lips, as well as two or three others, I think. P.O.S.' Never Better is clear and This Will Destroy You's Young Mountain is blue marble (at least the pressing I have, there's a few of them).

I just had a disturbing thought while watching that video.... I think Wayne might do drugs! Hopefully this isn't true, as it would just ruin their music for me, but he sure did kinda act funny. I will pray that it's just a passing phase and he'll get back to being 100% normal tomorrow.

I just had a disturbing thought while watching that video.... I think Wayne might do drugs! Hopefully this isn't true, as it would just ruin their music for me, but he sure did kinda act funny. I will pray that it's just a passing phase and he'll get back to being 100% normal tomorrow.

Wayne has stated many times in the past that he did do drugs in his youth, but no longer does. LSD scared him shitless, apparently. His wife, Michelle, was even upset at them in their earlier years because Wayne liked to invoke druggy images, but she thought it was inauthentic of them because they didn't do drugs. Of course, I guess things could have changed since then, but I don't really see it, unless it's just him smoking some pot again. He's always been kinda weird and spacey and jittery like that. :shrug:

Wait, you mean he supposedly DOESN'T do drugs?!

I have always thought of The Flaming Lips as the epitome of "drug music". I don't dislike them for it by any means, I just always assumed it was given that they did. Guess it's more of a fans vs. the band type thing then.

epic joke failure by me

I read an article in some music magazine once chronicling the history of the band's wanton use of heroin in their early days. So, yeah.

And Wayne is definitely on some shit in that video.

Everyone's at it. Everyone has a vice. My vice? Booze and cigarettes. U2popmofo's vice? Justice.

Wait, you mean he supposedly DOESN'T do drugs?!

I have always thought of The Flaming Lips as the epitome of "drug music". I don't dislike them for it by any means, I just always assumed it was given that they did. Guess it's more of a fans vs. the band type thing then.

epic joke failure by me

Oh, believe me, they totally are "drug music", but apparently they just don't do it themselves. It also helps that they have stated a very liberal stance on drug use in general, so fans are more apt to do them at shows.

(wait, what was the joke? i iz confused.)

I read an article in some music magazine once chronicling the history of the band's wanton use of heroin in their early days. So, yeah.

And Wayne is definitely on some shit in that video.

Everyone's at it. Everyone has a vice. My vice? Booze and cigarettes. U2popmofo's vice? Justice.

Steven, the drummer/guitarist, had a serious heroin problem until partway through the recording of Yoshimi. As far as I know, nobody else touched the stuff.

If you're really interested in the whole drug aspect to their music and haven't seen The Fearless Freaks yet, I highly suggest checking it out. They go into it quite a bit; there's a heartbreaking and disturbing scene of Steven shooting up while talking about his heroin problem. It's an exceptional music documentary otherwise as well.

My entire original post about watching the video was supposed to be a joke. And what a successful joke it was!

:lol:

Oh well. Bright side is that it brought in some interesting conversation.

I'm currently listening to The Soft Bulletin. It's awesome, as always.

For those interested, Embryonic officially leaked yesterday in good quality.

(I still haven't caved.)

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I'm not hearing anything special. Awfully noodling. I have only listened once, though, and am not a Flaming Lips fan, so take my opinion with a grain or four of salt.

This sucker's only 8 bucks at Best Buy this week. Guess where I'm headed.

This sucker's only 8 bucks at Best Buy this week. Guess where I'm headed.

Daammmmn. That's a great price. Is it the one CD or two CD version? I have a 20% off coupon to the Electric Fetus that I'm going to use on it.

Awesome. I wish my parents were into books, movies, music and general pop culture as much as I was... definitely would've made starting a vinyl collection much more enticing. Starting from scratch is no fun, especially with a broken player.

Awesome. I wish my parents were into books, movies, music and general pop culture as much as I was... definitely would've made starting a vinyl collection much more enticing. Starting from scratch is no fun, especially with a broken player.

Very true. The only reason I got into it was because my mom had a turntable, so I'd buy a record here and there and bring it back to listen to. Funnily enough, I was the only one to ever use the thing. I just finally got my own this summer and am now fully addicted to it. It wasn't expensive at all either; I think I spent $30 on the used turntable and $15 on the used receiver, both from a vintage record shop, and $25 on the speakers from a pawn shop.

Very true. The only reason I got into it was because my mom had a turntable, so I'd buy a record here and there and bring it back to listen to. Funnily enough, I was the only one to ever use the thing. I just finally got my own this summer and am now fully addicted to it. It wasn't expensive at all either; I think I spent $30 on the used turntable and $15 on the used receiver, both from a vintage record shop, and $25 on the speakers from a pawn shop.

Nice. There's a solid chance that I'll end up rooming with a guy next year who has a decent vinyl collection and player. Couple that with my DVD archive, throw in some shag carpeting, and it'll be a full-on entertainment center/love pit.

Nice. There's a solid chance that I'll end up rooming with a guy next year who has a decent vinyl collection and player. Couple that with my DVD archive, throw in some shag carpeting, and it'll be a full-on entertainment center/love pit.

Sweet. I bet you have quite the movie collection, and combining forces is always fun too. I also sincerely hope you do turn it into a 70s love den.

I had a roommate after I graduated college who had nearly as many CDs as I did. He was a huge metal fan, so our collections didn't have a lot of overlap. He also had a large amount of movies. A few months later, another guy moved in with us who had even more movies, and a decent number of CDs as well. Pretty much any time I walked in the door, a movie or music was on. It was a very fun time.

Now they all have kids and listen to shit.

:angry:

Back
Top Bottom