The Flaming Lips - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #121
45:33

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the lyrics and meaning of it, just think the song's boring. Same problem I have with the Wall, I appreciate the story, but a lot of the songs are boring.

Fight Test

Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Hmm...if that's the end of the story, then what is the rest of the album about? It's got this certain impending doom thing going on........and then it ends with a relaxing instrumental.
I think it's an album with two themes. The screams in Yoshimi Pt. 2 are supposedly the robot dying. Here's a quote from Wayne that's up on their website: "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 2" - Yoshimi fights the robot and kills it - the audience loves her - but she is suspicious about how she was able to win.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #123
The Male

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I think it's an album with two themes. The screams in Yoshimi Pt. 2 are supposedly the robot dying. Here's a quote from Wayne that's up on their website: "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 2" - Yoshimi fights the robot and kills it - the audience loves her - but she is suspicious about how she was able to win.
Now that's an angle I've never thought of.

I've always pictured Yoshimi as being about some girl who is being relied upon to save the human race from robots and manages to do it, only to find that she's not nearly strong enough in the end. Cue existential crisis songs. Then some guy from the future goes to the past, revealing what is about to happen to them all, and then they go to Pavonis Mons by balloon to face their destiny.

Yeah, I never actually listen to the music.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I've always pictured Yoshimi as being about some girl who is being relied upon to save the human race from robots and manages to do it, only to find that she's not nearly strong enough in the end. Cue existential crisis songs. Then some guy from the future goes to the past, revealing what is about to happen to them all, and then they go to Pavonis Mons to face their destiny.
...and this is why Yoshimi rates up there higher than Mystics for me. I think it's an extremely well put together album, as well as the fact that the songs stand up on their own.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

From wikipedia:

The lyrics of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots concern a diverse array of subject matter, mostly deeply melancholy ponderings about love, mortality, artificial emotion, pacifism, and deception, while telling the story of Yoshimi's battle. The title character is believed to be an allusion to Boredoms/OOIOO member Yoshimi P-We, who also performs on the album. Some listeners consider Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots to be a concept album; however, the story is debated, as it is only directly apparent in the first four tracks. However, despite the story-type title and science fiction themes of the album, the Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne, has made it clear that the album is not intended to be a concept album.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #126
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
However, despite the story-type title and science fiction themes of the album, the Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne, has made it clear that the album is not intended to be a concept album.
Well that sucks. I'll have to actually listen to the music now.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #127
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Quote:

I've always pictured Yoshimi as being about some girl who is being relied upon to save the human race from robots and manages to do it, only to find that she's not nearly strong enough in the end. Cue existential crisis songs. Then some guy from the future goes to the past, revealing what is about to happen to them all, and then they go to Pavonis Mons by balloon to face their destiny.

Yeah, I never actually listen to the music.
There you go, which is why she's taking lots of vitamins.

It seems all about the casuality loop... the guy from the saved future keeps going back to the past to tell young Yoshimi to save Earth from the robots, when it's really not about that, but about saving herself afterward.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #128
45:33

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Sgt. Peppers has been lauded since its releases as 'the' concept album, but only had two songs connected by the 'Sgt Peppers' theme (title track and the reprise), mostly just hype over the cover and costumes etc
Old 11-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #129
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Sgt. Peppers has been lauded since its releases as 'the' concept album, but only had two songs connected by the 'Sgt Peppers' theme (title track and the reprise), mostly just hype over the cover and costumes etc
It was the idea of touring as a "different" group that allowed them to put out songs like that more than 2 songs having the album name in the titles.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

I finally saw Christmas on Mars last night. It was alright, very campy, but about what I'd expected. The premise was actually decent, but there was a lot of violence/blood and gore that I could've done without. Oh, and the marching band with vaginas for heads was, um, bizarre. But, I think still worth seeing, if not only for the experience.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #131
Blue Crack Distributor

I listened to Christmas on Mars.

Eh. I won't be buying it.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #132
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I finally saw Christmas on Mars last night. It was alright, very campy, but about what I'd expected. The premise was actually decent, but there was a lot of violence/blood and gore that I could've done without. Oh, and the marching band with vaginas for heads was, um, bizarre. But, I think still worth seeing, if not only for the experience.
Yeah, it was worth seeing. As an experimental film, it really works, even when you've got the retarded captain character.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Yeah, it was worth seeing. As an experimental film, it really works, even when you've got the retarded captain character.
The one who's swearing all the time? He was my main gripe with the film, I think. He was always screaming for no reason, and that was just annoying.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #134
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The one who's swearing all the time? He was my main gripe with the film, I think. He was always screaming for no reason, and that was just annoying.
I think it was poor attempt to do a Sgt. Hartman sort of character from Full Metal Jacket.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I think it was poor attempt to do a Sgt. Hartman sort of character from Full Metal Jacket.
Yeah, it didn't work out so well. Other than that, and the gory stuff, it's worth seeing.

Tags
the flaming lips