The Flaming Lips - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:47 PM
I picked up Christmas on Mars today.. It's a really great quirky movie. It has the uneasyness of older David Lynch stuff.

I also picked up their live concert from the Oklahoma city zoo, a few weeks ago, and that's a great little DVD if you've never experienced them live. Fearless Freaks is a GREAT documentary on the evolution of the band too. I suggest that as well.

I saw them live in 2002 when they opened for Beck and then stayed on to be his backing band. Their opening performance was so great that I wish they had played the entire concert.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots has a lot of sentimental value to me as that is the album that got me hooked, back when it came out. Surprisingly I missed the hype of The Soft Bulletin back in the late 90's. I honestly had forgotten about them until one evening I saw a commercial for Yoshimi and I thought to myself "huh. the flaming lips. they're still around??" I picked it up and was amazed.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Thanks Guys, and hey Belvedere

i did miss the infamous Zoo show here, shame on me. I will probably grab that dvd sometime soon as well.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #108
45:33

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
And you will never convince me that All We Have Is Now is a great song. I should listen to the album later and see if I still feel the same way.
I don't get the love for that one either. It's boring.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Genius lyrics.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #110
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I can definitely see that. It's what keeps the album up there with the other classics, in my mind. There's a weight to tracks like Do You Realize?? and It's Summertime that make their light, jangly melodies hard to swallow, and that's a compliment. However, when you get right down to it, the songs just don't stand up to the masterpieces littered all over Soft Bulletin and Mystics. Is Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 2 really necessary? Shouldn't there be some closure with whatever plot/theme is going on? And you will never convince me that All We Have Is Now is a great song. I should listen to the album later and see if I still feel the same way.
The whole fighting robots theme drops by the end of Yoshimi 2 then it goes into this set of songs full of existential conflict... I don't know which side I prefer, actually, so I just dig on the entire album.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #111
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Dude, it's about a guy that comes back from the future to tell his past self he ain't meant for the future. It's awesome. We're not gonna make it. All we have is now.

That album is genius - start to end. Even the weird instrumental Yoshimi - I don't really like the song, but everytime I listen to it I get this comic book / anime thing going on in my head. So I got that goin for me. Which is nice.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #112
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Dude, it's about a guy that comes back from the future to tell his past self he ain't meant for the future. It's awesome. We're not gonna make it. All we have is now.

That album is genius - start to end. Even the weird instrumental Yoshimi - I don't really like the song, but everytime I listen to it I get this comic book / anime thing going on in my head. So I got that goin for me. Which is nice.
Gungagalunga... gunga-gungagalunga.

I think we're all forgetting to mention how awesome the Cat Stevens rip, "Fight Test," truly is. Dear God.

"Oh, to fight is to defend; If it's not now then tell me when would be the time that you would stand up and be a man?!"
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #113
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
I picked up Christmas on Mars today.. It's a really great quirky movie. It has the uneasyness of older David Lynch stuff.

I also picked up their live concert from the Oklahoma city zoo, a few weeks ago, and that's a great little DVD if you've never experienced them live. Fearless Freaks is a GREAT documentary on the evolution of the band too. I suggest that as well.

I saw them live in 2002 when they opened for Beck and then stayed on to be his backing band. Their opening performance was so great that I wish they had played the entire concert.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots has a lot of sentimental value to me as that is the album that got me hooked, back when it came out. Surprisingly I missed the hype of The Soft Bulletin back in the late 90's. I honestly had forgotten about them until one evening I saw a commercial for Yoshimi and I thought to myself "huh. the flaming lips. they're still around??" I picked it up and was amazed.
That's out on DVD already? I thought it just hit the theatres like a week ago. Nice, I'm a pick that sumbitch up tomorrow. And I missed the Soft Bulletin too. My history of them went from She Don't Use Jelly to Yoshimi. I kinda thought they were a joke band.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #114
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post

I think we're all forgetting to mention how awesome the Cat Stevens rip, "Fight Test," truly is. Dear God.

"Oh, to fight is to defend; If it's not now then tell me when would be the time that you would stand up and be a man?!"
Definitely one of my favorite FL songs. The Fight Test EP is fantastic as well, well worth the money for any Lips fan.

Covers of Radiohead, Beck, and Kiley Minogue + the classic "Thank You Jack White For That Fiber-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me" =
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #115
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Definitely one of my favorite FL songs. The Fight Test EP is fantastic as well, well worth the money for any Lips fan.

Covers of Radiohead, Beck, and Kiley Minogue + the classic "Thank You Jack White For That Fiber-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me".

Hey, call me crazy, but I prefer their version of "The Golden Age" to Beck's; "Jack White" is a fantastic song.

I hope Christmas on Mars has a good set of songs to listen to this holiday season... I love any F'Lips renditions of holiday tunes.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #116
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Hey, call me crazy, but I prefer their version of "The Golden Age" to Beck's; "Jack White" is a fantastic song.

I hope Christmas on Mars has a good set of songs to listen to this holiday season... I love any F'Lips renditions of holiday tunes.
Yes, I will definitely call you crazy for that. The cover is enjoyable too though, so it's all good.

When does Christmas come out? Do we have the tracklist for the CD yet?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #117
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Yes, I will definitely call you crazy for that. The cover is enjoyable too though, so it's all good.

When does Christmas come out? Do we have the tracklist for the CD yet?
It's not that I don't like the Beck version, but the F'lips one appeals to me a little more.

Today, actually.

Tracklisting:

1. Once Beyond Hopelessness
2. The Distance Between Mars and the Earth, Pt. 1
3. The Horrors of Isolation: The Celestial Dissolve, Triumphant Hallucination, Light Being Absorbed
4. In Excelsior Vaginalistic
5. Your Spaceship Comes from Within
6. Suicide and Extraordinary Mistakes
7. The Distance Between Mars and the Earth, Pt. 2
8. The Secret of Immortality: This Strange Feeling, This Impossible World
9. The Gleaming Armament of Marching Genitalia
10. The Distress Signals of Celestial Objects
11. Space Bible with Volume Lumps
12. Once Beyond Hopelessness

Vaginalistic!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #118
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
4. In Excelsior Vaginalistic
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I can definitely see that. It's what keeps the album up there with the other classics, in my mind. There's a weight to tracks like Do You Realize?? and It's Summertime that make their light, jangly melodies hard to swallow, and that's a compliment. However, when you get right down to it, the songs just don't stand up to the masterpieces littered all over Soft Bulletin and Mystics. Is Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 2 really necessary? Shouldn't there be some closure with whatever plot/theme is going on? And you will never convince me that All We Have Is Now is a great song. I should listen to the album later and see if I still feel the same way.
Yoshimi Pt. 2 is the closure. It's where the robot from One More Robot gets killed by Yoshimi. "All We Have Is Now" isn't terribly great musically, but I do like the lyrics. But, I also think there are better songs on their EPs and singles from that time period, like "Assassination of the Sun" off the Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP. That one gets me every single time...heartbreaking, but positive at the same time, which is exactly what the Lips do best.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #120
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Yoshimi Pt. 2 is the closure. It's where the robot from One More Robot gets killed by Yoshimi. "All We Have Is Now" isn't terribly great musically, but I do like the lyrics. But, I also think there are better songs on their EPs and singles from that time period, like "Assassination of the Sun" off the Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP. That one gets me every single time...heartbreaking, but positive at the same time, which is exactly what the Lips do best.
Hmm...if that's the end of the story, then what is the rest of the album about? It's got this certain impending doom thing going on........and then it ends with a relaxing instrumental.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
the flaming lips