The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I bought my ticket to see them in August, I got a link to download three new songs. Their music is a little hit or miss for me ( :reject: ), but I did like what I heard.

Oh wow, the two new songs on the myspace are glorious. The soulful chorus of Silver Trembling Hands has to be one of my favorite musical moments of the year so far, and Convinced Of The Hex has one hell of a great beat. :drool:

"Convinced of the Hex" was awesome live on Sunday. They also played "Enthusiasm for Life Defeats Existential Fear" for the one and only time ever, according to Wayne. I'm liking the new songs a lot as well.

"Convinced of the Hex" was awesome live on Sunday. They also played "Enthusiasm for Life Defeats Existential Fear" for the one and only time ever, according to Wayne. I'm liking the new songs a lot as well.

"Existential Fear!" Nice!

I liked the two new songs, too. Didn't know Pitchfork found Mystics to be underwhelming.

"Existential Fear!" Nice!

I liked the two new songs, too. Didn't know Pitchfork found Mystics to be underwhelming.

Yeah, that was my big Lips nerd out moment of the show. I was super pumped to hear it!

Didn't everyone?

I'm not too big a fan of Mystics either...a few songs here and there are great, but overall, it's rather meh to me.

I don't feel like listening to this "Silver Trembling Hands" business until the album comes out.

Sucks to your asmar sampler.

If I remember correctly, Pitchfork gave it a pretty weak score. I like a lot of the songs from the album, but for some reason it never felt like they flowed or fit together very well. Kinda like they had ideas for 2 or 3 albums, but were too lazy to finish those ideas and just threw it all into one album. I sorta think they would have been better off releasing it as two or three EPs instead of one album, as there's nothing wrong with the songs, they just don't fit together very well.

If I remember correctly, Pitchfork gave it a pretty weak score. I like a lot of the songs from the album, but for some reason it never felt like they flowed or fit together very well. Kinda like they had ideas for 2 or 3 albums, but were too lazy to finish those ideas and just threw it all into one album. I sorta think they would have been better off releasing it as two or three EPs instead of one album, as there's nothing wrong with the songs, they just don't fit together very well.

6.7... whatever the hell that means. That's one of the few reviews I've read on that site that I not only agree with, but was fairly direct and well-written.

Totally, it seems more like some sort of cosmic sampler than a cohesive album. Maybe it was out of frustration since it has been 4 years since Yoshimi?

Mystics had a handful of my all-time favorite Flaming Lips songs, and a whole lot of fluffy (albeit entertaining) nonsense. It was a mess, but I do enjoy it a lot. These new songs sound like exactly what I look for in the band though. As with SFA's new album, this really seems like a return to madness. :combust:

Mystics is pretty cool.

As an update, I gave some early Lips albums a couple spins. Still having a hard time cracking them. :\

what a hell of a band

i have seen them live TWICE

first time was in 2004 and just recently at a music festival

the first time i saw them it was a happy upbeat experience

the second time i saw them, they seemed a little bit pissed off or disillusioned with something.

either way, the second gig was intense!

the live version of the wand, along with an improvised version of "do you realize" totally blew my mind.

Maybe this was common knowledge, but I just found out there's a new Flaming Lips EP on iTunes called 'Embryonic Digital'.

It's mainly the tracks we were talking about before:

1. Convinced of the Hex
2. The Impulse
3. Silver Trembling Hands

It's one of those "Each song is $1.29" things. Here comes the "Flaming Lips are greedy sellouts" complaints. Seriously though, a 30% mark up for each song? Who thought that was an acceptable price raise?

I'm assuming it's the label's decision, but at the same time, I doubt the Flaming Lips didn't know it was going to happen.

Hmm, well I know that iTunes pricing now is dependent on the popularity of the tracks, so maybe after the full album comes out it'll go down? I don't know.

Didn't they change the pricing structure so that the unprotected tracks are higher, and the ones still locked/protected are lower?

Or did they "unlock" all their mp3s?

Oh and hey, I'm going to see them next Friday. Whoot!

Apple cuts iTunes pricing, eases copy protection - Tech and gadgets- msnbc.com

SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is cutting the price of some songs in its market-leading iTunes online music store to 69 cents and plans to begin selling all tracks without copy protection.

At the Macworld Expo trade show Tuesday, Apple's top marketing executive, Phil Schiller, said iTunes songs would come in three pricing tiers: 69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29, depending on the recording company they come from.

You're welcome. I think they did away with the 69 cent option, too.

Thanks, Warner Music Group.

A 30% hike seems a bit much. I realize it's $.30 we're talking about, but that's at least a $3 difference in price for most albums. Did they honestly REALLY think they weren't making enough at $1 per song? It's digital, the record company doesn't even have to do anything other than send them the files, some artwork, and maybe a little blurb. That requires a 30% rate hike? It'd be one thing if it was 5% or 10%, I have a hard time thinking the pricing was really off by so much that 30% was necessary.

Embryonic. October 13.

embryonic452.jpg

Yes. That is indeed the cover, and it's one of the best ones I've seen in a while. Listen to "See the Leaves" now: Pitchfork: Hear the New Flaming Lips Song "See the Leaves". It's the fucking JAM.

Back
Top Bottom