The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the lyrics and meaning of it, just think the song's boring. Same problem I have with the Wall, I appreciate the story, but a lot of the songs are boring.

Fight Test :drool:

Hmm...if that's the end of the story, then what is the rest of the album about? It's got this certain impending doom thing going on........and then it ends with a relaxing instrumental.

:shrug: I think it's an album with two themes. The screams in Yoshimi Pt. 2 are supposedly the robot dying. Here's a quote from Wayne that's up on their website: "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 2" - Yoshimi fights the robot and kills it - the audience loves her - but she is suspicious about how she was able to win.

:shrug: I think it's an album with two themes. The screams in Yoshimi Pt. 2 are supposedly the robot dying. Here's a quote from Wayne that's up on their website: "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 2" - Yoshimi fights the robot and kills it - the audience loves her - but she is suspicious about how she was able to win.

Now that's an angle I've never thought of. :hmm:

I've always pictured Yoshimi as being about some girl who is being relied upon to save the human race from robots and manages to do it, only to find that she's not nearly strong enough in the end. Cue existential crisis songs. Then some guy from the future goes to the past, revealing what is about to happen to them all, and then they go to Pavonis Mons by balloon to face their destiny.

Yeah, I never actually listen to the music. :wink:

I've always pictured Yoshimi as being about some girl who is being relied upon to save the human race from robots and manages to do it, only to find that she's not nearly strong enough in the end. Cue existential crisis songs. Then some guy from the future goes to the past, revealing what is about to happen to them all, and then they go to Pavonis Mons to face their destiny.

...and this is why Yoshimi rates up there higher than Mystics for me. I think it's an extremely well put together album, as well as the fact that the songs stand up on their own.

From wikipedia:

The lyrics of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots concern a diverse array of subject matter, mostly deeply melancholy ponderings about love, mortality, artificial emotion, pacifism, and deception, while telling the story of Yoshimi's battle. The title character is believed to be an allusion to Boredoms/OOIOO member Yoshimi P-We, who also performs on the album. Some listeners consider Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots to be a concept album; however, the story is debated, as it is only directly apparent in the first four tracks. However, despite the story-type title and science fiction themes of the album, the Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne, has made it clear that the album is not intended to be a concept album.

However, despite the story-type title and science fiction themes of the album, the Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne, has made it clear that the album is not intended to be a concept album.

Well that sucks. I'll have to actually listen to the music now.

I've always pictured Yoshimi as being about some girl who is being relied upon to save the human race from robots and manages to do it, only to find that she's not nearly strong enough in the end. Cue existential crisis songs. Then some guy from the future goes to the past, revealing what is about to happen to them all, and then they go to Pavonis Mons by balloon to face their destiny.

Yeah, I never actually listen to the music. :wink:

There you go, which is why she's taking lots of vitamins.

It seems all about the casuality loop... the guy from the saved future keeps going back to the past to tell young Yoshimi to save Earth from the robots, when it's really not about that, but about saving herself afterward.

Sgt. Peppers has been lauded since its releases as 'the' concept album, but only had two songs connected by the 'Sgt Peppers' theme (title track and the reprise), mostly just hype over the cover and costumes etc :shrug:

Sgt. Peppers has been lauded since its releases as 'the' concept album, but only had two songs connected by the 'Sgt Peppers' theme (title track and the reprise), mostly just hype over the cover and costumes etc :shrug:

It was the idea of touring as a "different" group that allowed them to put out songs like that more than 2 songs having the album name in the titles.

I finally saw Christmas on Mars last night. It was alright, very campy, but about what I'd expected. The premise was actually decent, but there was a lot of violence/blood and gore that I could've done without. Oh, and the marching band with vaginas for heads was, um, bizarre. But, I think still worth seeing, if not only for the experience. :up:

I finally saw Christmas on Mars last night. It was alright, very campy, but about what I'd expected. The premise was actually decent, but there was a lot of violence/blood and gore that I could've done without. Oh, and the marching band with vaginas for heads was, um, bizarre. But, I think still worth seeing, if not only for the experience. :up:

Yeah, it was worth seeing. As an experimental film, it really works, even when you've got the retarded captain character.

Yeah, it was worth seeing. As an experimental film, it really works, even when you've got the retarded captain character.

:lol: The one who's swearing all the time? He was my main gripe with the film, I think. He was always screaming for no reason, and that was just annoying.

:lol: The one who's swearing all the time? He was my main gripe with the film, I think. He was always screaming for no reason, and that was just annoying.

I think it was poor attempt to do a Sgt. Hartman sort of character from Full Metal Jacket.

This is definitely bump worthy:

The Flaming Lips are curating ATP NY 2009! I'm going to do my best to be there, it's over a weekend, so you could fly out and back and be back to work or school on Monday. :up: I think I'm going to wait it out for tickets though, last year ended up having a bunch available for much less than the asking price of $200+ for a three day pass.

http://www.atpfestival.com/atp/Events/ATPNewYork2009/News/View/0812111204.php

banana.gif

Stealing bandwidth is apparently a crime. Thank you for that infoz, GAFfer.

I was just running in to post this. Awesome, awesome news. I like my Lips in large quantities.

Stealing bandwidth is apparently a crime. Thank you for that infoz, GAFfer.

I'm thoroughly confused. Is my stupid dancing banana smiley not showing up for you or sumthin? :sad:

Well, whatever...I can see it and that's all that matters. Yay for the Flaming Lips! They're SUCH better people than the Arcade Fire.

I'm thoroughly confused. Is my stupid dancing banana smiley not showing up for you or sumthin? :sad:

It looks like you tried to hotlink to an image someone else posted somewhere. You might have to save it to your own computer, and then upload it to Photbucket or something to post it here.

Just in case you didn't know, and had no idea why we're all pointing and laughing at your Hotlink PHAIL.

It looks like you tried to hotlink to an image someone else posted somewhere. You might have to save it to your own computer, and then upload it to Photbucket or something to post it here.

Just in case you didn't know, and had no idea why we're all pointing and laughing at your Hotlink PHAIL.

Ha, thanks.

I'm going to leave it as is and blame this one on Bono.

Got ahold of the EP with three new songs from Embryonic today. Listening now...

Holy shit. It's fucking weird and trippy as hell. I'm digging it. "Convinced of the Hex" is kind of a dance song, yet pretty dark. All I can say is that it's going to be really interesting to see the rest of this album, and I absolutely can't wait. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom