The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Jorge Ben - I could discuss him all day, but I'd also love for people to discover Tim Maia as well. They were contemporaries and collaborators, but Tim Maia delved more into funk and psychedelia. His self titled albums from the early 1970s are all really good, and there's a more recent compilation "Nobody Can Live Forever: The Existential Soul of Tim Maia" which is really great. He died way too soon, at 56.

One of my local bars had that Tim Maia compilation on their jukebox so I acquired it a couple years ago. Really great stuff.

As for the Flaming Lips set at Desert Daze, plot twist: I was so exhausted from working a 14-hour day at the fest, I turned in early and couldn’t wait for their 11:30pm set, missed it completely.

Oh well. I also only saw like 20 minutes of Stereolab despite looking forward to them.

I will not, however, be missing Ween’s set tonight. By any means necessary.

One of my local bars had that Tim Maia compilation on their jukebox so I acquired it a couple years ago. Really great stuff.

This makes me very happy, Laz. Glad you enjoyed it. If you are ever in the mood, check out his early stuff, it is really worth it. A lot of hidden gems.

Fuck, half the album's been released it looks like. I'll listen to them all.

This also raises a massive issue I have with Spotify's UX... if artists drop singles, you can't see them on the artist page. It will have 'latest release' but they aren't all gathered below. It's suuuuper annoying. Some artists care enough to put them in a playlist, like the three Ascension tracks we've heard from Sufjan so far.

I completely forgot they had anything coming out until Facebook just advertised that song to me. I see I'm late to the party, it's the only thing I'm going to listen to, I'm sufficiently hyped. Can't. Wait.

Interesting, that after what has been nearly a decade of wandering, with inessential covers albums, forgotten EPs, forgettable collaborations, a heap of dumb shit, a divorce, a remarriage, a new child, drugs, frustrating caricatures of live shows, needless experiments and middle of the road full albums... they've returned to a sound that did so well for them. I am intrigued to listen to this album, and a couple of the six songs they've released so far, helpfully found in a playlist here on Spotify, piqued my interest, in particular Will You Return / When You Come Down, Mother Please Don't Be Sad and You n Me Sellin' Weed. I fear that an album's reliance on this sound will make the whole thing again feel a bit staid, but I'm cautiously hopeful.

This album is much better than anything they've done since The Terror. In fact, let's forget all of that happened except for the title track from Peace Sword.

After the opener I already felt tears welling up because it felt like home, and they just kept that classic Flaming Lips sound rolling the whole way through. It's such a fluid and consistent listen but it also has some emotional resonance too, which I haven't gotten from them since The Terror. It's a truly great record.

Two drawbacks: Wayne is still miles and miles away from his days of writing lyrics like Waiting for a Superman, Suddenly Everything Has Changed, Feeling Yourself Disintegrate, In the Morning of the Magicians, Do You Realize, etc. Some of this shit is downright goofy. And the production is pretty blown out and awful for the kind of lush, beautiful music they're trying to make. It worked great on Embryonic and The Terror, but it holds this album back a little.

Overall though, insane comeback. If they had gone from Embryonic to The Terror and then to American Head, it would be one of the stronger stretches of their discography.

Just had a listen and quite enjoyed it, it's definitely refreshing to hear them in this mode, the most I've enjoyed a Lips record in some time.

As an aside, I still listen to The Terror from time to time, particularly when I'm feeling anxious and need some white noise. Underrated record.

LM may have convinced me to check it out.

Last edited:
I have heard some very interesting interpretations about the lyrics on the album and its melancholy approach to nostalgia. Apparently they were inspired by friends they lost in the OKC drug culture. I wish the execution of the writing was better, but I get the vibe.

Anywhere else than the Pitchfork review? I'd be interested to read. I'd like to read/listen to some interviews with Coyne & Drozd. The p4k review reads like the author wanted to give it closer to a 9. I look forward to buying this album, hopefully it will have lyrics.

If I saw this video 15 years ago... I'd think it's a perfectly normal 2000s Flaming Lips show.

Anywhere else than the Pitchfork review? I'd be interested to read. I'd like to read/listen to some interviews with Coyne & Drozd. The p4k review reads like the author wanted to give it closer to a 9. I look forward to buying this album, hopefully it will have lyrics.

The album doesn't have lyrics. At least the LP doesn't; maybe the CD does.

Here's Wayne's track by track notes. I wish these were included in the album. I always enjoy reading his notes on the songs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flaminglips/comments/ir0hmv/american_head_waynes_trackbytrack_album_notes/

Back
Top Bottom