The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wayne will probably be naked and have tubs attached to his junk and singing into a baby's mouth when I see them (The Flaming Lips) in July.

They're selling Wayne's comic "The Sun is Sick" at their shows.

10651_573052356078642_1618377501_n.jpg

That lady's eye is sick.

I'm finally seeing them for the first time in a week and a half.

I somehow ended up standing in between my best friend from elementary school and my best friend from jr. high. I didn't know either would be there. That was pretty awesome. Some guy next to us was smoking weed like his life depended on it. There were a lot of pretty colors, confetti, and glow sticks. The crowd was actually paying attention to the show, and Wayne seemed to absolutely love it.

I have no clue what their setlists have been like, but aside from The Terror songs (which were fantastic live), we also got The W.A.N.D., Silver Trembling Hands, Spoonful Weighs a Ton, All We Have Is Now, and Do You Realize?. I'm probably forgetting something else, I'll try to post a setlist when one is up. They could be playing all of those every night for all I know, but I wasn't really expecting any of them (aside from Realize), and they were all awesome.

Fun night, fun show. Seeing them for the first time in an outdoor, "almost free", setting like that wasn't disappointing in the least. I can only pray to mighty Cthulhu that the crowd gives the next two weeks of shows the same attention and response.

Give it a few spins when you're in a shitty mood. Definitely one of the better albums of the year, and bold as hell.

Glad you had fun at the show, Scumbo. Glad to hear their shows are still fun.

This was pretty much the set, I believe:

Look...The Sun Is Rising
The Terror
The W.A.N.D.
Virgo Self-Esteem Broadcast
Silver Trembling Hands
Try to Explain
Race for the Prize
Butterfly, How Long It Takes to Die
All We Have Is Now
Gates of Steel (DEVO cover)
Turning Violent
A Spoonful Weighs a Ton

Encore:
Do You Realize??
Always There, In Our Hearts

This is out soon. New EP "Peace Sword" released for this Ender's Game movie.

So to hell with the writer's fucked up views of course and listen to the music on it's own merit. It's currently streaming at a number of sites but Consequence Of Sound has compiled them onto one page and a series of nice Soundcloud links.

Stream The Flaming Lips’ new EP, Peace Sword | Consequence of Sound

artworks-000060479925-mx8w0m-t200x200.jpg

01. Peace Sword (Open Your Heart)
02. If They Move, Shoot ‘Em
03. Is The Black At The End Good
04. Think Like A Machine, Not A Boy
05. Wolf Children
06. Assassin Beetle – The Dream Is Ending

First listen, pretty damn good, perhaps more melodic and accessible on first listen then The Terror with some nice instrumental passages ala 7SKIESH3. Just now it looks like a purely digital only mainstream issue, then a CD/Vinyl Black Friday Record Store Day release Nov 29th.

From the other thread...

Yoshimi's my least favourite Lips album. I like a few tracks but rarely listen to it.

Embryonic
Soft Bulletin
Clouds Taste Metallic (three classics in my view)
Heady Fwends
Transmissions (Pilot Can is in my top five)
Hit to Death
Yoshimi

I've got Mystics as well but I've only listened to it once.

Just relistened to it myself, tonight. Zoned out big time while it was on, but it's really just about the most cohesively pleasant thing they've ever made.

No idea where I'd rank it, though.

1a. Transmissions
1b. Clouds Taste Metallic
1c. The Soft Bulletin

4. Embryonic
5. Yoshimi
6. The Terror

7. In a Priest Driven Ambulance
8. Zaireeka
9. Heady Fwends

10. At War with the Mystics
11. Hit to Death in the Future Head
12. Oh My Gawd
13. Telepathic Surgery

I still haven't heard Hear It Is or the debut EP.

I came so close to buying the four-LP Zaireeka last RSD. It was $120. But I just don't think there would ever be a time where I'd have four record players in the one room.

I came so close to buying the four-LP Zaireeka last RSD. It was $120. But I just don't think there would ever be a time where I'd have four record players in the one room.

Good you didn't. It was selling for $34.99 dollars on soundstagedirect.com

Back
Top Bottom