The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. Yoshimi is such an odd bird. Every listen I give it, it gets exponentially more amazing. It's just so damn interesting, musically, sonically, lyrically, and conceptually.

Just listened to At War with the Mystics for the first time.

Definitely a solid album. I totally got the feeling I was listening to an American Meddle-Era Pink Floyd.

...Which is awesome.

I finally get the Flaming Lips. Why people love them so much. I'm here listening to Ego Tripping At The Gates of Hell, preparing myself for the emotional rollercoaster that's about to follow, and it hits me...that's exactly the reason the Lips get so praised. It's not about the giant hands, bleeding foreheads, or alien costumes, but the emotional punch their music has. Anyone can contemplate mortality, but to release it musically in a way that others would want to seriously do the same is impressive. Yoshimi is nowhere near their best album, but it has more magic in it than any other that they've released. It sums up the attitude of Coyne and the band as a whole perfectly. Do You Realize pushes my emotional buttons Every. Single. Time. I hear it. No other song does that. Is it their best song? No. Is it their most moving? Yes. I think that sums up Yoshimi and the band itself perfectly.

LemonMelon said:

Hmm....

Bad Days :up: Best lyrics, buoyant melody, I love the horns. It's perfect. :yes:

That's my 2nd-favorite behind Do You Realize??

Awwwwww, DAMN IT!

The Flaming Lips were in town last night. How did I not know about this?!?!?!

I am SO darned bummed right now, I can't even tell you.

:( :sad: :( :sad:

I'm sorry to hear that. At least it can't be worse than knowing they're in town and not being able to see them because of fucking Oklahoma!

Which is completely ironic, btw.

And you also get to see Arcade Fire / LCD Soundsystem, so shush. :wink:

Last edited:
Yeah, it's hard not to whine when the F'lips come to town and you're not there to see them land.

I saw the Lips almost two weeks ago. Definitely best show I've seen, period. :rockon:

(I currently have Pompeii AM Gotterdammerung stuck in my head :drool: )

I think at war with the mystics may be the most underrated album in years. Personally, I find it a hell of a lot more accompished and diverse musically than yoshimi. I think it's the perfect blend of the soft bulletin's 60's sound with yoshimi's spaciness.

i saw them in 2002 at the final show with them and beck when beck was touring for sea change and they opened for him and then went on to be his backing band. as much as i loved sea change, that night when i saw them open, i wish they continued for 2 more hours.

the soft bulletin is one of the best albums ever.

David, were you at the Los Angeles Universal Ampitheatre show or the one in Long Beach? I saw the show in Long Beach and it was fantastic. The venue fucked up our seats; when we arrived they had some obstruction there, so they moved us to 5th row on the side. I too thought the Lips' set was over way too soon. And especially considering how depressing the Sea Change material is, it did seem a bit anti-climactic when Beck came on.

Yes, The Soft Bulletin reigns supreme. I don't know how anyone could prefer Yoshimi to this timeless classic, but whatever.

lazarus said:
I think at war with the mystics may be the most underrated album in years. Personally, I find it a hell of a lot more accompished and diverse musically than yoshimi. I think it's the perfect blend of the soft bulletin's 60's sound with yoshimi's spaciness.

Mystics is excellent.

I find it more of a blend of Clouds Taste Metallic's rockin' edge + the other 2 you mentioned.

The W.A.N.D. is one of my fave F'lips tracks.

inmyplace13 said:
I'm seeing my second Flips show Tuesday night.

Holla.

Hopefully it'll be as great as your new AV.

"IT'S TURBO TIME!"

lazarus said:

I think Yoshimi gets the credit it does because of how emotionally heavy the record is. Drozd was suffering with his heroin addiction during that time, and the entire album has a striking mortality fixation that not even Mystics can match.

Yoshimi sounds frothy, but Mystics is frothy. At least lyrically.

Mystics, however, is miles ahead in variety and musical innovation. Both albums are great, but I'll have to give the nod to Mystics as well.

I must say though, if I'm in the right mood, Yoshimi can sometimes make me cry like a little girl. :wink:

No, don't get me wrong, I think Yoshimi is tremendously moving. It's just weird that it's the album that broke them big when it's sandwiched between two much more ambitious (and in my opinion, more accessbile) albums, and that Mystics failed to make much of a splash. I'm hearing like 3 big singles on that album so I don't know what happened.

The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song got a lot of airplay when it was released and I know The W.A.N.D. is on that fantastic HP commercial right now, yet no F'lips fan I know talks about these tracks a lot.

By F'lips fans I know, I mean 2 people.

The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song is much better live, I think. And, I like The W.A.N.D. too...I've been listening to Yoshimi more lately though.

BTW, it's a Dell commercial :wink:

One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Pictures/setlist/review later.

I was in the third row.

inmyplace13 said:
One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Pictures/setlist/review later.

I was in the third row.

:up: Glad you enjoyed it! The show is just amazing from that close...I was second row at the show I went to.

n29614144345237991191dk0.jpg

n2961414434523798926le3.jpg

n29614144345238217015nx0.jpg

n29614144345238134901yp2.jpg

n29614144345238032437pa7.jpg

n29614144345237878165nl3.jpg

The aftermath (also currently the background for my computer):

n29614144345238247810yh7.jpg

Those are just a few selections from the 80+ photos I took. Sorry they were all of Wayne.

Setlist:

TA! DA!
Race for the Prize
Tapsmir (Taps being played on a bugle over the bridge of Zeppelin's Kashmir)
Free Radicals
Fight Test (oh man did I go nuts here)
Mountain Side
Vein of Stars
Yoshimi (stripped down)
Pompeii (incredible live)
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Taps (poignant and beautiful, dedicated to the fallen soliders of meaningless wars)
Waitin For A Superman
The WAND
Do You Realize??

There was an intended first encore of She Don't Use Jelly and A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, but they ran long and had to scrap it.

Encore (although the intended second encore):

Moonlight Mile (Stones cover)

Last edited:
Holy shit, I'm listening to Moonlight Mile right now.

I can only imagine how great a F'Lips version would be.

Back
Top Bottom