The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wayne is releasing a comic book.

934943_544702712246940_172840333_n.jpg

I'm sure it has everything to do with me and nothing to do with the band, but these guys have really lost me. I have not heard a thing I've really liked from them in quite some time and now it's time to stop trying and just enjoy the albums of theirs I still like.

Oh, and, again, this is just me being crotchety but I saw bits and pieces of a concert of theirs on Palladia....and it was fine, usual Lips stuff...but they were singing Us and Them (a song I revere) and they had groups of people on the sides of the stage that were there for most or all of the concert I'd imagine, dancing....and there they are during this song, dancing away and it just looked....so fucking forced to me...it's not really a song you rock out to....and I get it, every single one of them is hopped on some fucking drug, whatever, but it just looked idiotic to me.

Anyway, this is what it likely feels like to be IWB, my apologies. I'll stfu now.

On a positive note, I just listened to The Terror 3 times in a row. Cool album.

It's good to see that, since the Lips appear to have gone away from the endless loop of running boob and vag video in their live show, Wayne is still finding an outlet for his passion.

As per usual, I gave it a few spins before forming an opinion but it was pretty clear that it was not my cup of tea. But, like I said, at least I still love the albums of theirs I've always loved, so that's good.

I respect that NSW. Have you seen The Fearless Freaks? That's got some real good stuff from the band and fans about their (former) live show.

Their 30th anniversary is coming up so hopefully that results in some pre-Soft Bulletin songs other than Jelly getting in the setlist.

If they're on this awesome dissonant shit right now, I don't know why they don't bring back some old stuff like Take Meta Mars or Moth in the Incubator (or, if they want to go for something thematically significant, Evil Will Prevail). They would fit way better in the setlist than Yoshimi or Race for the Prize at this point.

They'd have to significantly change the sound though. Evil Will Prevail might fit lyrically but it's as far removed sound-wise from The Terror as Yoshimi or Race for the Prize.

I'd like to see The Spark That Bled make a comeback.

Yeah, IF they changed the sound it would be perfect. Slowcore Evil Will Prevail is exactly where they're at right now.

I would lose my shit if they ever played Frogs again. :rockon:

That set was so good, and a departure from the giddy shows of recent years. Gone were the stage dancers and festive vibe. The colored confetti was replaced with black and silver foil. Wayne's inflatable ball got retired. Wayne stood on a mirrored pedestal with Matrix-like tentacles of light falling onto the floor and covering the stage. Wayne still pushes fun, but his stage banter was minimal compared with the last shows I've seen. And during a couple of songs, the spotlights descended from the stage ceiling, dropped below Wayne's pedestal so that he was obscured, aimed out over the crowd's heads, and fired strobe blasts right over our heads for minutes at a time. It was disturbing and unsettling in an awesome way. It felt like the crowd was under attack.

And the new material is awesome at building that vibe, as you can imagine. The set was heavy on the new material, and it was dark at times. I did not miss my old Flaming Lips experiences.

Wow, great review. I was wondering how it would work and I'm glad to hear it's still a great show. Hope they tour here.

Are the "c'mon motherfuckers c'mon c'mon!!" pleads gone as well?

I'm sure it has everything to do with me and nothing to do with the band, but these guys have really lost me. I have not heard a thing I've really liked from them in quite some time and now it's time to stop trying and just enjoy the albums of theirs I still like.

Oh, and, again, this is just me being crotchety but I saw bits and pieces of a concert of theirs on Palladia....and it was fine, usual Lips stuff...but they were singing Us and Them (a song I revere) and they had groups of people on the sides of the stage that were there for most or all of the concert I'd imagine, dancing....and there they are during this song, dancing away and it just looked....so fucking forced to me...it's not really a song you rock out to....and I get it, every single one of them is hopped on some fucking drug, whatever, but it just looked idiotic to me.

Anyway, this is what it likely feels like to be IWB, my apologies. I'll stfu now.

If you were me, you wouldn't be apologetic. Maybe next time.

I'm sure mofo remembers a time when I didn't hate this band, as I used to be quite find of yoshimi. There are still a couple songs on it I wouldn't be adverse to hearing now, however for the most part it's just easier for me to completely hate on all the gimmicky bullshit and "how can we top out last publicity stunt?" trash. For all I know, they've always been like that, and it's just that I've become more aware of Wayne's idiocy recently that it only now clouds my ability to listen to the band. Highly likely, since I was one of those people whose introduction to the lips were those two comparatively accessible albums. And while i did enjoy them, it was hardly enough to compel me to seek out their entire catalog/follow them thoroughly since. I don't know, I don't care. I am not sorry, at any rate (see? This is how it's done).

Well I'm not sorry for disliking their music and schtick now, I'm sorry for ranting about in a thread where people are obviously here to praise them....just to be clear, Kojak.

Songs played by The Flaming Lips lately:

Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (You’re Invisible Now) from 1997’s Zaireeka
Bag Full of Thoughts from their debut 1984 self-titled EP
Love Yer Brain from 1987’s Oh My Gawd!!!...The Flaming Lips
Unconsciously Screamin’ from 1990’s In a Priest Driven Ambulance
You Have to Be Joking (Autopsy of the Devil’s Brain) from 1992’s Hit to Death in the Future Head
Moth in the Incubator from 1993’s Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
Sunship Balloons from the 2003 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell single

Back
Top Bottom