The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened to the title track on vinyl, with headphones plugged in. Wow that song is creepy. There's some really bizarre shit coming through on the right channel that sounds like a tape being eaten.

If Ke$ha had anything to do with the breakup of what appeared to be a great relationship, I'm going to have some demons to wrestle.

Gave my first listen to The Terror and really liked it. It certainly has a demented quality to it, but I appreciate that it is almost a cry for help rather than a blaring scream. Flaming Lips have always been hit or miss for me, with seemingly no correlation with the general consensus - I thoroughly enjoyed Heady Fwends but could barely get through Yoshimi - but I'm liking this incarnation that they've been pursuing with Embryonic and now The Terror.

Thought you'd like it :up:

I'm not saying this is an early AOTY or anything but I definitely think it'll be hanging around there at the end simply because it keeps improving with every listen, which is special.

it keeps improving with every listen, which is special.

That's not really all that "special."

Doesn't most every good album get better with repeated listens? It's kind of the natural way of things. You listen to a good album more often, it shows itself to you, you learn more about it, you notice new things, the melodies grow on you, etc.

That's not really all that "special."

Doesn't most every good album get better with repeated listens? It's kind of the natural way of things. You listen to a good album more often, it shows itself to you, you learn more about it, you notice new things, the melodies grow on you, etc.

Of course not. Every single album ever is supposed to be listened to once, and the opinion developed is set in stone as your end-all, be-all thoughts on that album from now until eternity. Duh. The term "grower" is only thrown around by people when a band they like releases an album they really wanted to like, but didn't manage to form an honest "zomg amazing!" opinion on it in that crucial first listen.

Well yeah. I should have specified a degree of improvement.

I went from undecided/intrigued/disappointed with the Terror after several listens to being totally in love with it in on the next one. That happens sometimes, but for me that's special.

Of course not. Every single album ever is supposed to be listened to once, and the opinion developed is set in stone as your end-all, be-all thoughts on that album from now until eternity. Duh. The term "grower" is only thrown around by people when a band they like releases an album they really wanted to like, but didn't manage to form an honest "zomg amazing!" opinion on it in that crucial first listen.

You don't think some albums have more depth than others?

And for me at least, it's definitely not a given that I will like an album more each time I hear it.

I was responding more to the second part, about "grower" just being a term people use for revisionist purposes.

I still have not purchased the new album, or even listened to a single song from it. I am ashamed of myself.

Flaming Lips were supposedly "leaked" as one of the performers at this year's free (or $5) concert series in SLC. Guess I really better hurry and listen to this album.

I was responding more to the second part, about "grower" just being a term people use for revisionist purposes.

That part was just cynicism. I completely believe that growers exist, and could name a couple dozen that I've immediately liked half of, only to discover months later that while I'm a little worn out on the ones I immediately liked, the rest I was rather lukewarm to are equally amazing given more time. I just feel like I've been seeing that term thrown around way too much lately, mostly where bands have put out albums that have failed to meet expectations of awesomeness, instead of just admitting maybe they don't like it.

Just ordered the silver vinyl from the Lips store, which was meant to come with instant downloads of the album, Sun Blows Up and All You Need is Love, but the confirmation email they sent doesn't contain any goddamn links, so I've sent an email to customer service :scream:

I enjoyed this album quite a bit on first listen. It has that "good to listen to at night" vibe I often enjoy.

Just ordered the silver vinyl from the Lips store, which was meant to come with instant downloads of the album, Sun Blows Up and All You Need is Love, but the confirmation email they sent doesn't contain any goddamn links, so I've sent an email to customer service :scream:

They emailed me back and sent me .zip files... the album came two times over. The "individual shuffle-ready" versions, which have radically different track times to the leak and on wikipedia, and then the full album as one 55 minute mp3. Really annoying. Did anyone buy the CD? Do they have the normal track times? What the hell Flaming Lips?!

I've never thought of that, makes sense it wouldn't work in them. I have one, maybe two of those, kicking around my collection. What's on the bonus disc for The Terror? Sun Blows Up Today?

I've never thought of that, makes sense it wouldn't work in them. I have one, maybe two of those, kicking around my collection. What's on the bonus disc for The Terror? Sun Blows Up Today?

Sun Blows Up Today and a cover of All You Need Is Love.

I'm honestly not sure what would happen if I tried to insert the 3" CD in a slot-loading drive, but I'm not willing to try it.

Saw this and lol'd

flaming-lips-the-terror-cover-bowie-style.jpg

Back
Top Bottom