The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Sun Blows Up Today had been stuck in the middle of this album, it would have been one of the most surreal moments of an already bizarre career.

The version I, uh, acquired, had Sun Blows Up Today and a cover of All You Need Is Love (?!?) as bonus tracks. They were numbered funny so they're the 2nd and 3rd tracks after Look The Sun Is Rising. Definitely made for a disjointed listening experience. Have to say though, the album does nothing for me. I suppose I should go back and listen in the proper sequence, but, nah, don't wanna.

The version of this album on Spotify is labeled "Individual Shuffle-Ready Version".

What the fuck does that mean? I'm assuming it's the same thing as the proper album, but it's still kinda weird . I been using Spotify for a while now and have never seen anything labeled like that.

So the track times listed on Wikipedia are totally different than the iTunes tracks. Do they match up with the CD or was the leaked version different? I never listened to the leak.

Weird.

Yeah, I think what I might be doing wrong is looking at the Wiki page. That shit is probably bullshit.

Just looked at Amazon, and the running times are the same as the ones on Spotify. Who knows. Maybe I should have looked at the official Flaming Lips site first?

Friggin' Wikipedia.

The "full album" track adds up to 55 minutes on Rhapsody, yet the individual "shuffle-ready" tracks add up to 46 minutes. What the fuck?

Right. That's what I'm saying. I think we need to just buy the damn thing. A physical copy. From the store. Fuck this internet shit.

I'm going to be hanging out in Chicago all weekend, I'm sure I'll be tempted by a vinyl copy when I go to Reckless. If the price is reasonable, I'll probably get that instead of the Zaireeka box.

Listening to the same version I have been for now, and really closely at that (I compared the sound quality to the Rhapsody rip and the difference is negligible). Trying to pick out every little nuance of this thing right now, reading the lyrics along with it. What a delightfully strange album this is. Until tonight, I had no idea Wayne broke up with Michelle after 25 fucking years. That's crazy. Between that and Steven getting back on smack, I can understand what's going on here a little better.

This is one of those Kid A type records that seems to have fun fucking with you for a while, until one day it stops being such an asshole and you become close friends. I know, through four tracks, this is by far the best listen I've had to it yet. I remember the really shitty portion of the album was tracks 5 and 6 or so, that's where I started to tune out before. It got to be too atonal, too difficult. So we'll see. I don't know why I'm typing about all this already, there's a lot of album left, I just know I'm really excited by what I'm hearing right now. It's got quite a spell on me at the moment.

Uh fuck yeah this is amazing now. I've gone to the dark side and there are some sweet-ass cookies over there. Holy shit.

Listen to the title track with the lights off and you won't want to sleep for weeks.

The only song I'm not crazy about is You Are Alone. And, even then, it has that really scary part where Wayne is muttering YOU ARE ALOOOONE in the right channel while in the left channel he tries to convince himself that he is not, in fact alone. That is worth the price of admission by itself.

It's 15% off all vinyl at Record Store Day at Polyester tomorrow so I might try to pick it up then... it will look sweet and cross my fingers my second listen will be better than the first.

I was wondering why Wayne had stopped tweeting naked photos of his wife, that's really sad. I bet it's about Kesha.

Yeah, I think what I might be doing wrong is looking at the Wiki page. That shit is probably bullshit.

Just looked at Amazon, and the running times are the same as the ones on Spotify. Who knows. Maybe I should have looked at the official Flaming Lips site first?

Friggin' Wikipedia.

The Wikipedia page is correct as per my physical copy of the album.

So the tracks on the digital version are edited versions from the CD? :huh:

I did get the whole 55-minute album as one track from iTunes, but I would prefer to have the original album split up into individual tracks. I guess I may end up buying the CD after all.

I'll probably order the bonus disc version from Amazon UK.

So the tracks on the digital version are edited versions from the CD? :huh:

"Individual, shuffle-ready" does suggest that they're edited down for playlist purposes.

Why they would do that for the default digital version is the question.

And yeah I totally buy that Kesha broke up Wayne's marriage. The timing is too prefect. And now she's cutting a full record with them? She really is the new Yoko.

I don't think I'll be able to watch that scene in The Fearless Freaks where they're at home doing the Halloween stuff together ever again. It'll make me too sad. I had literally no idea they'd even split until LM mentioned it.

The only thing I can think of when I see the cover is Pink Floyd's More, which is definitely a contributing factor to me wanting to hear it.

I think you'll really like it. People who aren't particularly attached to old Flips seem to love the album.

I can't blame Wayne for having sex with K MONEY. She's hot as hell.

She's also making more exciting music than the Flaming Lips are these days. :shh:

Definitely better than Streethawk. With Streethawk as a unit for my enjoyment of an album I'd say The Terror is 1.685 Streethawks.

I was reading the lyrics while listening to this album. Wayne is seemingly fascinated by the sun. And pain, being alone, dying, controls, violence and fear. Yeah, it's quite bleak. Makes the album even scarier.

My copy came with a mini CD including All You Need Is Love and Sun Blows Up Today. Too bad I don't like either of those songs.

Back
Top Bottom