The Flaming Lips - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 AM   #376
45:33

Local Time: 01:33 PM
with me?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Don't flatter yourself, kid. With everything about this album.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #378
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Well, they just KILLED it, on Conan. And I mean that in a good way. SFA shout-out, via the CYMRU shirt...?
I'll have to watch that performance then. And, yep, it was, I'm sure. Kliph, their tour drummer, is a HUGE SFA fan. I believe he's repeatedly called them his favorite band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I'm in love.
Me too, me too.

Okay, so initial thoughts: FUCK YEAH! I'm glad I waited until the nighttime to listen to it, since it's so fucking dark. I love that about it. It's quite the shift for the band, I think. Also, one thing I noticed as I was listening and kind of went off theorizing about was the counting off and having Wayne's chuckles in there on a good proportion of the songs. So, one of IYS' complaints was that it was just noodling (which I can understand, especially if you're not a Lips fan); however, if you listen, the songs that are more typically structured ("Silver Trembling Hands," "The Impulse," "Convinced of the Hex," etc.), those actually don't include those moments, while the others do, making me think that perhaps they wanted us to know they were just in the studio fucking around, you know? Those types of moments on record aren't usually kept, unless for a reason. Anyway, just a thought.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #379
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i'm beginning to feel that i shouldn't listen to this without getting high first...
You're wrong.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #380
Blue Crack Addict

Laz, check this out, if you're interested:

Quote:
Myspace Secret Show in Hollywood, CA

On October 15, for one day only in Los Angeles, THE FLAMING LIPS POP-UP STORE will open at the
Nike / Ricardo Montalban Theater located at 1615 Vine St. in Hollywood 90028.

Not only will fans have the opportunity to get their hands on unique artifacts available on this day and location only, but the The Flaming Lips have planned a very special, intimate Myspace Secret Show! This might be the only opportunity to see the band in a minimal space ever again. Get your furry freak on for this one-time-only psychedelic Hollywood happening. You won’t get the change to see the Lips live again until 2010!

Tickets for the event will be made available on a first come, first served basis at the opening on October 15th. Additional tickets will be available at Amoeba Records Los Angeles with the purchase of Embryonic on street date, October 13th. KCRW 89.9 FM and the LA Weekly will also participate in ticket give-a-ways so pay close attention.

Ticket holders are not guaranteed seating. All ticket holders will need to be in the venue by 7:30 PM. Theater doors will be open 6:30 PM.

The pop-up store will house limited edition merchandise, CD’s and much more. Among the exclusive goodies will be the special “Furry Package,” currently available at www.flaminglips.com. Fans are advised not to hesitate to avoid disappointment, depression, and unwanted bad vibes. Do what you must to be part of this event.

Venue: The Flaming Lips Pop-Up Store (The Nike Theater)
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009
Additional info: myspace.com/secretshows
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #381
Blue Meth Addict

While I did find their performance extremely enjoyable, I thought Wayne's voice sounded awful.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #382
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Laz, check this out, if you're interested:
Thanks, I read about this in our alt weekly paper. Would be cool, but I don't have the energy to compete with all the idiots trying to get into this thing.

I've seen them enough times to be okay with missing this.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
While I did find their performance extremely enjoyable, I thought Wayne's voice sounded awful.
Is that different than normal? I mean, I'm a huge Lips fan, but his voice has never been good and has only gotten worse with age, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Thanks, I read about this in our alt weekly paper. Would be cool, but I don't have the energy to compete with all the idiots trying to get into this thing.

I've seen them enough times to be okay with missing this.
Yeah, I wouldn't either, as I've seen them a few times too. I'm sure it'll be insanity trying to get into it. Just thought I'd pass it on in case.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #384
Blue Crack Supplier

Well I'm thinking of driving out to another Best Buy, hoping they have their shit together so I can get Embryonic. It's over 10 miles away though, so I'll probably stop at the $2 theatre on the way back and make the trip worth it. That new Mike Judge film is playing.

DOUBLE WIN.

Also:

THE F'LIPS!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #385
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well I'm thinking of driving out to another Best Buy, hoping they have their shit together so I can get Embryonic. It's over 10 miles away though, so I'll probably stop at the $2 theatre on the way back and make the trip worth it. That new Mike Judge film is playing.

DOUBLE WIN.

Also:

THE F'LIPS!
I still can't believe that the one you went to yesterday didn't have their new releases out at 1pm. That's the film with Jason Bateman and Ben Affleck, right?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #386
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, that's the one.

Funny thing is, I've had New Release problems with Best Buy many times, including movies and music. Unless it's something MAJOR like Shuttlecock or Star Wars, I tend to walk in with trepidation every time that I'm actually going to find what I'm looking for.

Also, their music section seems to be shrinking rapidly. I overheard the clerk telling some dude who was looking for Ryan Adams that they don't carry his stuff anymore.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #387
The Male

I listened to a bunch of this album at like 4 AM last night. It truly is a brilliant night record, one of their very best for that purpose. Creepy as hell.

The progression from Christmas On Mars to Embryonic that critics have been taking note of is something I find fascinating, and I feel this particular sci-fi fixation the band has taken on extends back as far as Yoshimi. The Flaming Lips are still trying to communicate those topics and conjure up those same locales through the music, albeit with a wearier, less innocent bent. I don't believe Embryonic is a new chapter for the band, as Pitchfork made it out to be. It certainly sounds different from any proper album the band has released, but context makes it clear this album is not inexplicable. However, what makes the album great is that, in spite of its creativity and bluster, Embryonic is nearly as emotionally exhausting as Yoshimi. It has a heart, and that's why this album will be remembered as something more than a reclaiming of their strangeness years down the line.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #388
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one.

Funny thing is, I've had New Release problems with Best Buy many times, including movies and music. Unless it's something MAJOR like Shuttlecock or Star Wars, I tend to walk in with trepidation every time that I'm actually going to find what I'm looking for.

Also, their music section seems to be shrinking rapidly. I overheard the clerk telling some dude who was looking for Ryan Adams that they don't carry his stuff anymore.
Cool, the trailers for it looked pretty funny.

This is why I can't make myself go to Best Buy anymore. I've had a lot of the same issues, actually.

Wow, that's depressing, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I listened to a bunch of this album at like 4 AM last night. It truly is a brilliant night record, one of their very best for that purpose. Creepy as hell.

The progression from Christmas On Mars to Embryonic that critics have been taking note of is something I find fascinating, and I feel this particular sci-fi fixation the band has taken on extends back as far as Yoshimi. The Flaming Lips are still trying to communicate those topics and conjure up those same locales through the music, albeit with a wearier, less innocent bent. I don't believe Embryonic is a new chapter for the band, as Pitchfork made it out to be. It certainly sounds different from any proper album the band has released, but context makes it clear this album is not inexplicable. However, what makes the album great is that, in spite of its creativity and bluster, Embryonic is nearly as emotionally exhausting as Yoshimi. It has a heart, and that's why this album will be remembered as something more than a reclaiming of their strangeness years down the line.
I definitely think this is a logical progression from Christmas on Mars, and the actual sound of the music is pretty similar, albeit with more rock elements and less of a soundtrack sound. The subject matter is also similar to Yoshimi, but like you said, they're doing it in a much darker manner than previously. I'm personally fascinated by the progression.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #389
Blue Meth Addict

I'm sure most retail stores that carry music will continue downsizing the music sections, and music stores in general will close up quite a bit over the next decade. No one buys the music they listen to any more, and it's not in a store's interest business wise to try to sell a dead medium. We have no one to blame but ourselves, the supposed "music fans" who only buy 1 in 30 albums we listen to regularly, and some how think that and going to a concert here and there is fair to the artists and labels putting their music out.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #390
The Male

Having heard Embryonic a number of times since last month, I'm confident enough to give it a tentative ranking:

1. Transmissions From The Satellite Heart (A+)
2. Clouds Taste Metallic (A)
3. The Soft Bulletin (A)
4. Embryonic (A-)
5. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (A-)
6. At War With The Mystics (B+)
7. Zaireeka (B)
8. In A Priest Driven Ambulance (B)
9. Hit To Death In The Future Head (B-)

Don't know Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd, and Telepathic Surgery well enough to rank them.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
the flaming lips