The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh those sons of b****** I've never seen them live and I really was looking forward to the f****** tour

Voice to text doesn't like my sailor mouth.

A new chapter in the book is cool and all but I never got to read the last chapter so I'm grumpy about it.

Yeah, that blows. The last chapter was amazing.

I've been listening to 2-3 minute portions of songs to help me get acquainted with them before my next full listen, just to familiarize myself with things. You Lust and Butterfly are so fucking good. I'm starting to dig the atmosphere. This could be very good very soon. It's just exhausting is all. One of my favorite bands is living on the edge and I'm totally cool with that, but the transition is difficult. Embryonic was, realistically, the best warm-up we could have had for this.

Also, I like The Terror more than Heady Fwends right now. I was disappointed with that one. It was a bit drab too, but only half the arresting sonic experience of The Terror.

Voice to text?!?!!!

Fair enough. I saw it twice and it was amazing. I still have a few bits of confetti left in my old car from when I saw them in November 2011... When I left the show I grabbed a handful and threw it everywhere in my car, I was so happy.

I'm driving.

Now you made me sad I don't know what I did with my killers confetti but it was awesome it had the logo and I also had the lightning bolt symbol

But really though, I agree with Cobbs, I don't think a slight change is a big deal. They're not going to start doing slowcore prog-influenced versions of Race for the Prize. The old songs will still be colorful and beautiful and the new ones will be the thrilling classic rock shit they're on now, stripped down like early Pink Floyd shows or something. They might be in a new chapter, but it's still the same book. Since the very early days of the band, they have always done exciting things on stage, and they're certainly not going to stop now.

Bit the bullet and pre-ordered the vinyl. The cover is awesome, the LPs are silver and you get Sun Blows Up on ordering and the digital album on release date.

God I hope it grows on me.

It ended up being a bit more involved than I expected, but I finally finished mixing Zaireeka down to a stereo album. It turns out that when you mix four tracks down to one, you have to dial back the gain on each one considerably to avoid clipping and distortion.

The end result is a mix with a wide dynamic range and some relatively quiet passages, so you need to listen with headphones to pick out all the details. I tried listening to it this morning on my commute and some parts were difficult to appreciate at freeway speed.

I'm sure that if I was working with proper audio tools, I could compress the dynamic range without clipping. Hell, there may even be a plugin for Peak that would accomplish this, but I never intended to spend more that $10 and a few hours on this project.

Zaireeka definitely sounds like The Flaming Lips, but I do get the impression that they were much more interested in the audio experiment aspect of this project than they were in producing a cohesive album. It's a decent listen if you're a Lips fan.

I'm seriously reconsidering remixing How Will We Know without CD1 because there is a continuous high-frequency tone throughout the track that is literally physically painful. I'm pretty sure this is what the Empire use to torture Chewbacca on Cloud City. However, it's probably not worth the effort because this will be out of my hearing range within a few years anyway.

The empire didn't torture Chewbacca on Cloud City. Fucking amateur.

Someday I want to play Zaireeka on four audio systems like each a minute out of sync with each other. I wonder if I'll go mad :hmm:

It ended up being a bit more involved than I expected, but I finally finished mixing Zaireeka down to a stereo album. It turns out that when you mix four tracks down to one, you have to dial back the gain on each one considerably to avoid clipping and distortion.

Awesome. I've got a mix that someone made of that album that I thought was pretty good. It's definitely an interesting record.

Man, that tone on How Will We Know is brutal. I remember little about the individual songs from when I last heard the album, but I do remember that.

So I just got an e-mail notification from Amazon that the release date of The Terror has been pushed back two weeks. A month left to go instead of two weeks. Sad.

New set:

536215_528446400539238_1450456386_n.jpg

With All We Have is Now closing it out.

Of the Lips albums I've heard, The Terror and Yoshimi are definitely my least favourite, so colour me disappointed, though all those Yoshimi songs are good.

So weird how they seem to fall in love with old albums... Soft Bulletin was all the rage in their sets over the past two years, now Yoshimi is back in the fold. Hopefully by the next time I see them it'll be Clouds Taste Metallic.

Yoshimi Part 1 is so crappy compared to the rest of that album, I don't get why they keep playing it.

Otherwise, really great set.

Back
Top Bottom