The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was good to see these guys last week in Memphis. If I had not been on call, I'd have traveled to Oxford, and possibly Clarksdale. Besides it being 96 degrees and about half a show, I'll still take any chance I can to see them. It was the second time they've played here in about 14 months, and I'm not sure they'd played here in the previous 12 years.

Once the sensory overload subsides, one thing strikes me about the Flaming Lips' live show: they seemingly play about 4-5 songs/hour. I guess that's good if I'm into the songs. Otherwise, it is excruciating. But I'm impressed with their ability to turn substantial periods of dead space into a fulfilling experience. That's a talent in its own right.

Exactly.

Well, I've only heard four albums, and the setlist I found online is definitely wrong. But here's what I remember or dug up, no order:

Worm Mountain
She Don't Use Jelly
Yeah Yeah Yeah song
Race for the Prize - stripped down version that was so disappointingly short of the original
Do You Realize?
It's Summertime - first time ever, supposedly

I think they also played See the Leaves, and I'm sure there was another one or two I don't know.

Nice! A shame you got stripped down Race for the Prize, I was fighting back tears when they played that.

The set's due to change soon with a new album on the way.

I know, I shouldn't complain - I got the "real" version last May. And yeah, it is the show standout. Wish I could say the same about this last show.

Can't find a single clip on youtube, but I really love the track they replaced the Chris Martin song with on the CD, Tasered and Maced. The music is great and it really evokes a spooky atmosphere.

I gave Heady Fwends a listen today and really dug it. I'm still a bit amazed at how well it holds together despite the multifaceted cast of guests. That blend of novelty and cohesiveness makes it one of the best things I've heard this year, I dare say.

I'll also say I was impressed that almost every collaborator really adds something substantial to the song. So many collaborations feel like little more than two acts in a room together out of contract obligation, but people like Nick Cave and even Kesha seem inspired to be a part of their respective songs.

:up: it surprised even me. Pretty amazing considering some of them didn't even meet Wayne & the band - Chris Martin's cameo is lifted from a voicemail. Justin Vernon did his bit via email.

The Terror, first Flaming Lips proper studio album since 2009's Embryonic, out April 1.

flaming-lips-the-terror-cover.png

Love that album cover. Very Soft Bulletin. I'm not crazy about the font, but that's easy to get over.

Anyway. HYPE. Can't wait to see what wacky shit they have planned for the vinyl.

Tracklist:

01 Look...The Sun Is Rising
02 Be Free, A Way
03 Try To Explain
04 You Lust
05 The Terror
06 You Are Alone
07 Butterfly, How Long It Takes To Die
08 Turning Violent
09 Always There...In Our Hearts

They played You Lust during that world record thing last year, I think it featured Phantogram, and Butterfly has already been released, it was the first track on the Strobo Trip thing, which featured the six-hour song.

Indeed. Seems like it's gonna be a great year for music (like almost every year I must add).

What an irritating song.

It sounds like a few guys playing every video game on the planet and looping the coolest sounds they come across.

Man, this is great. Reminds me of Hit To Death-era noise pop (think Frogs) mixed with some Anamanaguchi and, for whatever reason, the harp from Embryonic.

10 times more fun than anything on Heady Fwends.

Having now actually heard the song, I must say, it seems to me like the Flips weren't content being one hit wonders. Maybe they hung out with Ke$ha a little too much.

It's fucking awesome and I love it, but knowing it's going to be in a commercial, it's a little whore-y, even if the last minute is definitely the exact opposite of radio friendly.

Back
Top Bottom