The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would be cool, but I'd be hard pressed to spend my money improving Oklahoma. With apologies to all those little pooches, of course.

Alright Lips fans, I need some direction. I started listening to them within the last year or so, and I own The Soft Bulletin (love it) and Yoshimi (meh). Which album should I look into next?

Yep, it's a relatively smooth transition into the earlier work if you go with Clouds Taste Metallic.

Agreed that Yoshimi is meh compared to Soft Bulletin, although it has some amazing tracks and impressive production.

Well, I just had a look at the tracklist. And I really like Fight Test, One More Robot, Yoshimi 1&2, Ego Tripping, Hypnotist and Do You Realise?, which is more than half the album... so I guess my problem with it is I just don't get much enjoyment out of listening to the album, even if I enjoy the individual songs.

... so I guess my problem with it is I just don't get much enjoyment out of listening to the album, even if I enjoy the individual songs.

Yeah, that seems to be my experience so far. Now that I look into it, I enjoy the last pair of songs (all we have is now, pavonis mons) about as well as anything else there. Seems odd to my head, but that's where I am with it.

Thanks for the recommendation, Impy et al., and I'm glad there seems to be a consensus. :D

The EP has two extra tracks,

Butterfly, How Long It Takes To Die [6:37]
Evil Minds [4:00]

...both of which are pretty much in keeping with the music so far this year. The 6hr piece is not lossless WAV/FLAC but a 800mb MP3 320k track, all songs are on a 1.5 gb flash.

.....oh yes and iTunes hated importing it...

Finally recovered enough to report back.

Wow. What a show. As close as I'll ever get to seeing Pink Floyd live (and that's including the PF tribute show I saw a few years ago!) So, so glad the abridged festival set was not the only opportunity I got. Probably the third best show I've ever seen, behind only U2 and LCD Soundsystem (maybe tied with The National). Definitely the best spectacle I've seen.

The set:

Sweet Leaf (Black Sabbath)
Worm Mountain
She Don't Use Jelly
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Is David Bowie Dying? (from the Neon Indian collab)
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, pt. 1
See the Leaves
Drug Chart (one of the Gummy tracks)
Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung
What is the Light? (An Untested Hypothesis Suggesting That the Chemical [In Our Brains] by Which We Are Able to Experience the Sensation of Being in Love Is the Same Chemical That Caused the "Big Bang" That Was the Birth of the Accelerating Universe)
The Observer

Race for the Prize :heart::heart::heart:

Do You Realise??

Wayne is such an amazing guy too. He just exudes affability, from the very beginning when he warns everyone about the strobe lights and shit. The first six tracks were the same as the festival gig, so not much to add. Although I will say watching Wayne explode those giant confetti-filled balloons with the head of his guitar during the chorus of The YYY Song is worth the price of admission alone. Not sure how they put up with all the balloons hitting them for the first 10-15 minutes though that'd be annoying as fuck :lol:

Is David Bowie Dying? fucking rules. Drozd plays the riff on some iphone app. Rocks hard and goes down well live.

See the Leaves, with Wayne pounding away on a hi-hat (that what it's called?) also fucking rocks. One of the best tracks from what is still my favourite Lips album.

Drug Chart was good, but there's a million tracks I'd have preferred to have heard. What is the Light sounds incredible, Kliph kills it on the drums. Rhythm section was tight the entire show, awesome shit. Although Ivins looks like playing a show is the absolute last thing in the world he wants to do, and he sits down a lot. Bad back or something?

Pompeii was not a song I knew, but it too was fucking awesome, the strobe lights on the gong going off every time Wayne whacked it.

They finished the main set with The Observer and then a remote control spider looking thing jam, which was fucking sick. OH and those laser hands are awesome as fuck.

When Wayne quietly sung "two scientists are racing..." when they came back out I choked up a lil' bit. And it was every bit as amazing as I ever imagined. I was jumping like a metre in the air I swear. Incredible.

He talked again before Realise, saying how they play to the best crowd of any band, "we throw balloons at you and you think they're space balls. we shower you in confetti and you think it's magic dust" (which is true!!). And how there were presumably people going through hard things in there life and they come to a Lips show for relief for an hour or two.

The only complaint I could make would be that the setlist kind of sucks. Again, like the LCD show I saw, it's such a good show it doesn't remotely matter, but She Don't Use Jelly being the only pre-Soft Bulletin song? come on!!

Also does he always do the "cmon motherfuckers cmon" thing to get people cheering? I was always cheering, cos I didn't want to let him down, but judging by his twitter posts today he enjoyed it as much as we did.

I took a handful of confetti with me and threw it around my car. Dunno why. I was just so happy. Got a sick poster too

ee814212.jpg

Ah, the jiggling boobs. My ol'mate Reptile did say I was probably not the target demographic... :lol:

Yes, I was highly amused by the gig, with the balloons and confetti and plastic bubble and Wayne coming out before the gig, like the MC at a wedding informing the guests of where the toilets are and where people can smoke. Coulda warned me about the Floyd though :angry:

And I luuuurrrrvvvveedd the laser hands "Bro-ther, bro-ther, brother-lee-love!!!!" :cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtLoCAplgAg

24-hour run starts soon. Among other shit, they're rumoured to be playing "Heroes", This Here Giraffe, It's Summertime, Be My Head, songs off Heady Fwends and stuff from the new record.

In case anyone's interested, they did break the record. You can watch a few of the clips at omusicawards.com.

They debuted a song off the new album too, You Lust. You can watch it here. Pretty cool but nothing especially awesome. New Music: The Flaming Lips – “You Lust” ? Consequence of Sound

Drozd says it's his favourite since Soft Bulletin, and Wayne's in full-on Bono mode, declaring it maybe the best album they've ever done.

Back
Top Bottom