The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wayne should try to do the vocal on "Great Gig In The Sky"

I can see Drozd doing it with all his trippy vocal effects.

1B1L, I may have figured out what happened with this vinyl fiasco. There are a few copies of a "misprint" on eBay. One blue disc and one black, but the second was supposed to be white. So that's why they're having to repress it.

1B1L, I may have figured out what happened with this vinyl fiasco. There are a few copies of a "misprint" on eBay. One blue disc and one black, but the second was supposed to be white. So that's why they're having to repress it.

Ah. Well, that's interesting. Out of curiosity, how much are those misprints going for?

$200 for the unsigned one is ridiculous. And the signed one being signed "to Robert" should make it worth less (but not worthless).

I'll be very happy just to wait until next month to buy it for $25 instead.

$200 for the unsigned one is ridiculous. And the signed one being signed "to Robert" should make it worth less (but not worthless).

I'll be very happy just to wait until next month to buy it for $25 instead.

Yeah, as cool as it'd be to own one, but for that much, no thanks. I also didn't realize the release date did get pushed back an entire month until just now. Boo.

just gave this album a spin today.

and i kinda loved it. from start to finish. ego's last stand being my pick of the bunch.

if this dark side cover is true (with henry rollins recreating the interviews) i might just combust.

what an exciting band!

I have been listening to the remastered "The Soft Bulletin" a ton. Can't believe Slow Motion wasn't on the original American release, as it's fairly amazing. Easily my favourite album of theirs.

does anyone else really, really love The Impulse? it stuck with me from the beginning.

if you'd just come down
from your space tower jail
i could have shown you
these colours aren't so pale...

i must be missing something with watching the planets. it's great and all, for sure, but it's fairly repetitive, doesn't do a great deal, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Don't know what this means for my ex's Wayne Coyne sex dream two and a half years ago, but either way, it was one of the better music videos I've seen in a very long time, Grizzly Bear excepted.

I was hoping LM was joking about Wayne's penis. He was not. It's a great video though, really.

So, I was listening to Felt's new album, Felt 3: A Tribute to Rosie Perez (hip-hop, it's Slug from Atmosphere and Murs from Living Legends together) and during a song, "Henrietta Longbottom," Murs mentioned the Flaming Lips, along with Johnny Cash and Biggie, in one line.

/random Lips mentions that amused me this morning

That doesn't make up for dedicating an album to Rose Perez.

Ha, no maybe not. The other two women their albums are dedicated to are Christina Ricci and Lisa Bonet. And, apparently they choose the dedications based on who Slug and Murs want to sleep with, but probably never will.

Back to "Watching the Planets," did anybody else find it somewhat amusing that the giant vagina ball was also a pig/snorting like one?

this might just be my favourite album of 09.

can anyone explain to me what exactly zaireeka was? four discs with one song on them each to be played simultaenously?

Four discs with bits and pieces of several songs to be played simultaneously on four CD players, an extension of their parking garage experiments. I mean, it's a cool idea and everything, just really, really impracticle. I don't know anyone who's ever done it. You can find mp3s of the entire album with all four tracks mixed together though. There are actually good songs there.

Hey, Cass, I think the vinyl of Embryonic comes out Tuesday.

Four discs, all to be played simultaneously, yes. They weren't, though, four discs with individual songs; instead, they were different tracks of the mix. Sometimes, one disc would have bass, one guitar, one drums, and one synth, whereas sometimes two discs would be quiet, while the other two did all the work. It was all over the place, in that regard. Very interesting, very interactive, and (in my opinion) a lot more fun to think about that to listen to. Have had it for like six or seven years, at this point, and have only bothered going through all the rigmarole three or four times. I just didn't enjoy the record, all that much. C'est la vie.

I mean, it's a cool idea and everything, just really, really impracticle. I don't know anyone who's ever done it.

Hey, Cass, I think the vinyl of Embryonic comes out Tuesday.

I do (haven't had the opportunity to do so myself yet) and he said it was pretty cool. What I find really awesome about it is the infinite possibilities for small changes due to pushing play at different times, altering the positions of the CD players, etc. And, yes, there are some good songs on there, "Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (You're Invisible Now)" is simply sublime.

Fuck yeah! Now, to scrap up $25 for that bad boy...I think I still have that coupon to the Fetus around here somewhere that I was planning on using toward it, considering it'd be a terribly fitting album to use it on.

I just didn't enjoy the record, all that much. C'est la vie.

I can agree with that. Relative to the albums around it (Transmissions, Clouds, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi), the songs themselves don't really stand up.

Still an innovative and fun concept though. Wouldn't expect any less of the Flaming Lips.

i was stunned to found out how old they are/how long they've been around. i thought they began mid-to-late 90s.

any word on the dark side of the moon project? i really hope this sees the light of day...

Funny you should ask about the Dark Side thing:

lips_.jpg

Last month, we reported that the Flaming Lips were planning to pay tribute to their psych-rock forebears by covering Pink Floyd's dorm-room classic Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety, probably as an iTunes-only release. The Lips' version, a collaboration with the band Stardeath and White Dwarfs (which includes Wayne Coyne's nephew Dennis Coyne as a member), is set to include appearances from Henry Rollins and Peaches. We still don't have any details about the release of the Lips' Dark Side, but we now know that the Lips are planning to cover the whole album live on New Year's Eve. (Thanks to Ryan Jordal for the tip!)

That trippy image you see above is the flier for the Lips' New Years Eve Freakout, which the band recently posted on their website. The December 31 show will go down at the Cox Center in the Lips' hometown of Oklahoma City, and it'll also feature Stardeath and White Dwarfs. Near the bottom of the flier, you'll note this great little promise: "Starting at midnight: A special performance of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon." If you live anywhere near Oklahoma City, you now have your NYE plans figured out.

"All humans are urged to attend," says the flier. All the robots and super-intelligent gorillas in the Lips' fanbase must be feeling pretty dejected right now.

I actually got hit in the eye by a pick she threw out in 2006. I went to the VD clinic immediately.

oh my FUCKING god. i saw that on the website, but couldn't make it out.

are any of you going? man i wish i could go to that. but alas i'll be getting drunk here, at a festival, watching empire of the sun play, trying to get laid.

Back
Top Bottom